New Jaaaag F type

Jaguar Cars Limited - XFR / XJR / XKR
gdavison
5th Gear

Re: New Jaaaag F type

Post by gdavison » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:38 pm

lofty wrote:I've just my ordered my V6S Coupe today, hoping for an April/May delivery. :biggrin3:
Very nice .. if I may be bold and ask any deals from the dealers to be had ?
Ex RS6 C6 Driver, gone but not forgotten.. The best car I have ever owned

lofty
3rd Gear

Post by lofty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:57 pm

The colour was the hardest decision, I eventually went for Salsa red with black pack (same as Audi black optics), black leather heated seats with red belts, parking camera as the rear view is woefull and loud button for the sports exhaust.The car comes as standard with touch screen Nav/DAB/Bluetooth/USB, Xenon's, cruise, part electric seats, auto dimming mirrors, and a few other bits and bobs, so it doesn't need a great deal spent on options.I've got my eye on a set of 20" alloys which I may get for it or I may get the standard 19" wheels painted titanium.
I could have had a decent discount on a convertible but not on a coupe, I contacted a few dealers and all said no discount.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Demand > Supply = no discount

gdavison
5th Gear

Post by gdavison » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm

lofty wrote: I could have had a decent discount on a convertible but not on a coupe, I contacted a few dealers and all said no discount.
Thats good news for me :) what was you offers ?

lofty
3rd Gear

Post by lofty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 pm

I didn't get exact figures on the convertible as I only wanted a coupe. I'd go slightly used if I was after a convertible, loads for sale at £15k+ less than list.

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Salsa red and black pack. I'm going to be so jealous if I see that motoring around Gateshead. That's my favourite config by far.

gdavison
5th Gear

Post by gdavison » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Earlier in the week I booked a test drive for 2pm Saturday of a V6S Cab .. had a long chat to the guy , explained current car collection (RSC6, Boxster S, Smart Brabus :bigblink: ), explained both my wife and I needed a drive, we wanted the drive on a combination of roads ie A roads, B Roads, Motorway, City Centre etc

The guy I had spoke to at the dealer then posted me brochures and emails me a short personal video of their demonstrator car, explaining some of the features etc I emailed back thanking him for the video and brochures and confirmed we'd both be at the dealer at 2pm Saturday

Turned up at dealer at 3 mins before booking time (I like being on time for appointments), to be told the guy who I had been talking to was "out on another test drive" (immediately -ve points scored as he'd not called me to explain or apologise for being late) then found out he'd not arranged for any one else to host the test drive, I was about to leave at this point when they found another sales guy who was not busy. He pratts around for 15 mins copying our drivers license and whatever and around 2:20 we get in the car. He does a 5 min this is what the dynamic button does and this is the exhaust button and is about to set off, when I stop him and star asking him about other features and functions. After exploring the cars features around 2:30 we set off .. Its a lovely sunny day around 9c and the lid is still up. As always the dealer starts the drive and we go down the Basingstoke ring road, do a few mile sof A road and then a (admittedly rather lovely Sweeping B Road) .. its 15 mins into the drive and he is still driving as if "showing" me what the car drives like.. Eventually he stops and offers me the opportunity to drive.. As we are still lid up, I ask for it to be down and we set off following the reverse of his drive, as i know this was not into town traffic, I say I wish to drive the car in town traffic and he redirects the obviously standard test drive route with a 5 min diversion into a street with "some" traffic in it. We get back to the dealers and he is about to wander off to get my wife before i stop him and ask questions about the exterior, ask to look in boot, I don't even get a offer to look under the bonnet.

My Wife (who loves cars as much as me and loves to drive too) now goes off for a drive, she heads off around 3:15 .. I sit in dealer, not even offered a coffee and wait here return I spot the guy I had originally spoke to as I recognised him from his selfie in the video he had sent me, he still chatting to the guy who he'd been out with and missed our booked appointment. After sitting there for 15 mins or so they finish and he saunters over, introduces himself, does not apologise for not being their for our appointment or for arranging for some one else to have looked after us. We start to discuss the car .

My thoughts which I shared in detail with the sales guy on the V6S are

Pros:
* Sound is great
* Looks are supurb and its a fresh design and a real head turner
* Ride both in dynamic and normal is great and very suitable for UK roads
* Good interior, car had The uprated seats ,, felt the held well in kidneys and back, but limited support around the thightsThe buckets were spot on, much like Audi Recaro's. Like others have said on their tets drives extended leather is great. I loved the feel of the Flat Bottom Wheel

Cons
* To me the steering is vague or weird .. I could not feel any difference between dynamic and normal mode
* Wind buffeting in the cabin with lid down is terrible (they did not have the wind deflector fitted as its mesh and they have had the lid up due to bad weather) .. I remarked the Boxster deflector is clear plastic and always is present
* Flappy paddles are useless as with an 8 speed box your constantly flicking one of the paddles, I did comment that the gear box is so good, you dont need the flappy paddles
* Even when in normal the gear box seemed to want to change a gear .. example I gave was following a car in a 40 section I would lift off the accelerator to control the distance between us, and when going back on the power, the box would often change down.. and then within a few seconds back up once it realised I was just cruising and not about to hoof passed offending car in front .. during the drive when I noticed this I got the other dealer to confirm we where NOT in dynamic mode or any sport like settings
* Their 3 month old 2000 miles on the clock Demonstrator had more rattles and squeaks than our lot older Boxster 987
* You'd not get a weekends shopping in that boot Weekends shopping as in for 2 of us for 2 days - ie what easily goes in a Smart car boot), therefore no pop down Waitrose in the Jag, means we'd pop down in one of the other cars, which would mean we'd then go on to the pub in the other car and then go wherever in the other car
* Basinstokes demonstrator did not have the option to switch in the dynamic bits one by one, just the all on or off so could not play with that

We talked about the high number of second hand Cab around at the moment, his story goes .. "Jag make just over 2000 F types a year .. When there was only a cab that was 2000 Cabs a year .. now there is a coupe and a R they are working out how many of that 2000 is of each type. He did say a number of Coupe sales where off the back of very young low mileage Cabs being up traded"

Wifey got back .. She enjoyed the drive, had exactly the same half a test drive with the Dealer "showing" off, we discussed a few more things and I summarised to dealer .. "Cant see what the 15 to 20 K GBP more that I'd have to spend over a massively over spec'd new Boxtser S gets me" He did offer me a one day loan of the jag to get to know it better, and asked me to call him early this week to discuss .. (Note I'm calling HIM .. not him chasing me to sell a the car)

As we walked back to the Boxster to go to Waitrose and buy the weekends groceries, I commented to Sue that I though the Boxster was more chuckable and not as quick on a B road than the F type, she disagreed saying the Jag was faster ... so I gave her the keys and told her to drive to that lovely sweepy B road mentioned earlier .. she drove it 4 times back and forth and looked at me agreeing that either we are just used to a Boxster handling more or yes it was a quicker car on a B road .. My opinion of her 4 runs up and down this road was she was quicker than the Jag dealer had been on my test drive

So sadly despite its looks and sound, we are not going to jump in one. The premium over a brand new Boxster 981 is just too big, the none existent boot means we'd struggle for practicality for use and will probably go drop a deposit on a new 981 and make it our 6th Boxster :boohoo:
Last edited by gdavison on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:42 pm

Thing is it's 911 competition really, and for me despite apparently positive residuals it's still a punt over a 911. The 991 is an amazing piece of kit, for me there's no comparison.

lofty
3rd Gear

Post by lofty » Mon May 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Should have had the car a week ago but the date has changed again ( for about the forth time).Its pencilled in to come a week today but it's anyone's guess tbh.The dealer has made a balls up of the finance so it looks like I need to go third party, anyone got any good recommendations ? I'd expected better of Jaguar/dealers, but their just as bad as all the others.

doodlebug
Cruising

New Jaaaag F type

Post by doodlebug » Mon May 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Oracle or Santander for starters.

Good old JLR....

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Mon May 12, 2014 6:14 pm

PM with what's happened.
I might be able to help.

lofty
3rd Gear

Post by lofty » Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Done, cheers.

lofty
3rd Gear

Post by lofty » Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 pm

So after a little negotiation with the dealer I sorted out the finance last week and collected this little beauty today,
its bloody marvellous :biggrin3:

gdavison
5th Gear

Post by gdavison » Mon May 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Very nice ... enjoy it , we went with the Boxter GTS

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Awesome!