E55 AMG

Mercedes-AMG GmbH
Aufrecht Melcher Großaspach (AMG)
bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:33 pm

The EVO write up of the age; Dark Forces - E55vM5vRS6 (I've read it a couple of times!) had the AMG being the quickest (0-100mph in a touch over 10secs :shock:). It is mental quick.
When I was researching I had the CKL55 and the E55 under consideration. I drove the CLK55 and found it to be soft in almost every regard, the E55 was a lot different, it felt very edgy and it did put a stupid smile on my dial. I actually liked the cabin and seats but I hated the outside styling, it just looked like an E200 mini-cab car, all it needed was a transport for London sticker. Pants.
I'd never have it over the '6. Other things that really annoyed me about AMG Merc's, they only seem to have silver paint at their factory! It is so hard to find a car in an interesting colour!! If you find a black E55 it'll be 1k more expensive than the remaining silver cars on sale. hated it.

Rant. Over.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Welky
2nd Gear

Post by Welky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm

I know what you're saying on the mini-cab front. Needs wide arches and big wheels like the 'black' editions. If its good and I turn traitor, I've already planned a few mods. One word...Brabus!
C5 RS6 Avant. Muggle Blue, Black leather, PSS9s, Hotchkiss ARBs, Grizz's BIG brake kit, Phaeton cooling ducts.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Ever seen the CLK DTM AMG? Only 100 coupes and 80 cabs ever made. I love it, use it for inspiration. It is stupid money but it would have to be my no.1 desirable cabriolet.

AGAIN WITH THE FUCKEN SILVER!!!

ImageImage

Welky
2nd Gear

Post by Welky » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Ooh, that's given me the twitch! What a beauty.

Good article from Evo. Damn that BMW! I feel like the straight line adrenaline though as I'm a complete pussy in the corners. 4wd is wasted on me.
C5 RS6 Avant. Muggle Blue, Black leather, PSS9s, Hotchkiss ARBs, Grizz's BIG brake kit, Phaeton cooling ducts.

drybeer
Top Gear

Post by drybeer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 am

S5 Coupé 3.0 BiTDi Vorsprung
A6 allroad 3.0TDi
T-Roc 2.0TSi SEL 4-motion

Welky
2nd Gear

Post by Welky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:08 pm

That's as a new car comparison and in many ways I would agree with him. As a used car and with the benefit of hindsight into the quirks of ownership...

Welky
2nd Gear

Post by Welky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Right, had the E55 AMG today and just a recap, its a 2005 with 27k miles. Here's an overview of my thoughts for those who're interested:

AMG is very, very quick but the RS6 feels quicker, even though it isn't.
If you boot it in the wet the tail slides all over the place even with ESP on. As such it is harder work than the 6 and great fun.
The extra weight of the 6 is very noticeable, but from A to B my money is on it over the AMG. You just can't put the power down in the Merc.
The rev range in the AMG is a lot more useable with power all the way from 2k to 6k.
The AMG has a lot more toys, and the comfort, sport 1 & 2 suspension settings are brilliant.
The AMG exhaust note is truly stunning! At 3k revs it sound bonkers, at 6k its embarrassing!
The gearbox changes down much more smoothly than the 6, but has the same occasional quirks.
The 6 has a much nicer feel behind the wheel. The cabin is cosy and intimate, whereas the AMG is open and impersonal.
The RS6 seats are much nicer, as is the red interior lighting. The Merc is a dull orange, which is...dull.

In summary, the Merc is great fun, has loads of gadgets, fast as f..k, and sounds off the charts...but the RS6 feels more special. For example, the owners manual and service book in the Merc does not mention AMG anywhere! With the RS6 you're buying exclusivity whereas the AMG buys you a fast E Series Merc. It's a bit like comparing 'Lock Stock' or 'Snatch' with a Hollywood special effects blockbuster. The AMG may be faster, noisier, more toys and effects, and more of a handful, but the RS6 is ultimately more rewarding. With a Miltek and remap it would offer everything the AMG does, and more...IMHO

Billiemapped
2nd Gear

Post by Billiemapped » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:08 pm

Are you going to stay with the 6 and go down the Milteck/remap route ?
03 Ibbis White RS6 Avant
High Tech Fabric/Alloy inserts.
TTSroadsport Custom remap+gearbox remap
Bilstein PSS9
Full Miltek Sport Cats/ 3 "Downpipes Non Res
Window Tint
Ventureshield Paint Protect Film
Rear LED Lights
Aero wiper kit

Welky
2nd Gear

Post by Welky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:06 pm

If mine was 30k miles then undoubtedly. As it stands I will likely make the switch as I can't be arsed to keep fixing every little sodding thing on the 6.

Whitevanman
Neutral

Re: E55 AMG

Post by Whitevanman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:18 am

Welky wrote:Love the 6, but a whisker away from 70k now, and 7 years this month...so;

2005 black E55 AMG with 27k miles, full MB history and 1 owner: £21k

Baring in mind low mileage replacement 6es are hard to find nowadays, should I?
My RS6 Advant (C6) blows my E55 away every time!

So much so my wife drives the Merc now!
Attachments
Audi RS6.jpg

the6
4th Gear

RE: Re: E55 AMG

Post by the6 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:16 am

How does the white van compare then....Man?

bam_bam
Cruising

RE: Re: E55 AMG

Post by bam_bam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Whitevanman wrote: My RS6 Advant (C6) blows my E55 away every time!

<beep> off n00b.
the6 wrote:How does the white van compare then....Man?
I'm gunna get a white van next, those things are constantly catching me off boost, undertaking at traffic lights and they're always sitting in the outside lane overtaking. They must be well quick! I've been thinking about getting a white van now for a while now but I think I need to start a poll on the options list.

The current things I have checked are:
- Upgraded dash to hold a 3 month subscription of the Sun newspaper (opened to page 3 – natch)
- St. George cross flag holders on each corner (for cross-wind stability)
- Lifetime warranty on indicator bulbs and turning indicator stalk re-map. This is a very common white van upgrade option that allows other road users to telepathically connect to the white van turn indicator stalk. This saves the white van driver burning out expensive indicator bulbs by not using them (hence the lifetime warranty)

Any other options I should check?

Whitevanman
Neutral

Re: RE: Re: E55 AMG

Post by Whitevanman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:10 pm

bam_bam wrote:
Whitevanman wrote: My RS6 Advant (C6) blows my E55 away every time!

f*ck off n00b.
the6 wrote:How does the white van compare then....Man?
I'm gunna get a white van next, those things are constantly catching me off boost, undertaking at traffic lights and they're always sitting in the outside lane overtaking. They must be well quick! I've been thinking about getting a white van now for a while now but I think I need to start a poll on the options list.

The current things I have checked are:
- Upgraded dash to hold a 3 month subscription of the Sun newspaper (opened to page 3 – natch)
- St. George cross flag holders on each corner (for cross-wind stability)
- Lifetime warranty on indicator bulbs and turning indicator stalk re-map. This is a very common white van upgrade option that allows other road users to telepathically connect to the white van turn indicator stalk. This saves the white van driver burning out expensive indicator bulbs by not using them (hence the lifetime warranty)

Any other options I should check?
I'm a knob! u live in London? Sad so sad!

HYFR
Cruising

RE: Re: RE: Re: E55 AMG

Post by HYFR » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 pm

not a knob .. a noob ... a newbie ... a new person on the forum

and dont worry about bam_bam ... he's taken on Mooch's mantle

Whitevanman
Neutral

RE: Re: RE: Re: E55 AMG

Post by Whitevanman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Cool Guys! :roll:
If u go on MB Forum and mention an audi rs 6 all the <beep> stars flying so funny!

Return to “Mercedes-AMG”