Alpina B5s vs MRC'd C5 RS6

BMW M GmbH & Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH
bam_bam
Cruising

Alpina B5s vs MRC'd C5 RS6

Post by bam_bam » Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm

So I picked up the car from MRC today, topped it up with Tesco99 and headed for home via the M40. I came across an Alpina early on, the driver must have been some sort of magpie as he'd festooned the rear of his car with every possible badge available "BMW M-Power Alpina B10 V8 S", it read. I swear this magpie had filled the length of his boot lid. He pulled over into the middle lane with a slight challenge and was duly dispatched, left founding wanting.
The traffic was very light and I soon happened upon a less conspicuous 'new shape' Beemer, this time the boot lid read Alpina B5s and it was on a '60 plate, "two Alpina scalps in one day, my cupeth runneth over", or so I thought. He was stuck behind a slower moving tool but up ahead was a massive section of clear road. Finally, said tool pulled over and Mister B5s nailed it at about the same time I did, once clear of Mr. Tool, Mister B5s made room for me by depositing himself in the middle lane. There was nothing ahead us for miles and we both stayed the same distance apart at WOT. By the time we'd caught up to any meaningful traffic worth slowing down for, there was at least 18 to the factor of 10 showing on my clocks. Due to him being middle lane bound, he chickened first and I shot ahead around a sweeper, he didn't follow at pace and I was moving around over bumps but kept it at half throttle, I was wide awake by this point with my starfish puckering the leather a number times.
Once he'd caught up and I'd negotiated another road tool, we were off again, me pulling into middle lane this time and him following outside. He was losing a little ground but for the most part it was a retake of run no.1.
We did this a couple more times in clear traffic, each time, nothing in it, top fun and a very good yardstick for my car. I was really happy with how it represented. He finally broke away before the M25 (giving up a flashing salute and me offering a long held thumbs up). The B5s was certainly a fast car with some great roll-on acceleration and it's something to be said for capacity, transmission and drive-train losses. The styling did nothing for me though, not that I had much time to even look at the thing. Underestimate the B5s at your own peril.
No matter where you go, there you are.

chunky79
Cruising

Re: Alpina B5s vs MRC'd C5 RS6

Post by chunky79 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Not much hope for us 500 odd bhp c5's then. Glad you managed to hold your own.
How is darth running??
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sat May 05, 2012 3:09 pm

It's running really well and it doesn't seem to suffer heat soak at all. I was expecting some of the later runs against Mister B5s to be telling but it didn't drop off, if anything, I reckon I fared better. Like I said, the Alpina B5s was 7 years younger, it could've been remapped but I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't, they're a very rare car and already proper quick plus I don't think Alpina have left much wiggle room. That said, an Alpina B5s will leave an E60 M5 behind and Darth was 1:1 all the way around the speedo (literally). It's a major compliment to what MRC has done with an aging legend.

Full build write up soon, I guess it'd be worth sharing the very long road to 605PS.

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Looking forward to the write up. Will the road for the next 61 bhp be a long steep one though? Bloody good and hard work already gone into this beast so are you still gunning for 666?
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sat May 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I'd rather have 605PS and a efficient bullet proof 'box rather than 666PS and losing huge lumps of power before it hits the ground. I think my efforts are spent, to go further would require some snails called Garrett. Doug said it's more an issue trying to get gas out rather than get air in, the K04s are just too small for the 4.2.

rs4blacked
4th Gear

Post by rs4blacked » Sat May 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Aplina's are wolves in sheeps clothing. I remember once going from BMW dealer in Warwick to BMW dealer in Solihull and back in 22 minutes in a B10 V8s :shock:
Currently Mondeo ST155 & Titanium X Sport

RS4 Phantom Black, Black Optics, Tech Pack, Milltek Non Res Non Valved

Return to “BMW M & Alpina”