Initial thoughts on the M3 (vs RS4)

BMW M GmbH & Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH
Steve_C
Top Gear

Re: Initial thoughts on the M3 (vs RS4)

Post by Steve_C » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:40 pm

edge wrote:Really? cant say iv driven with the DCT, but was not a fan of the SMG set up at all!
I'm not talking from experience, but friends tell me that SMG was crap, SMG II was alot better (i.e. acceptable) and DCT is alot better again.
Gone to the dark side

edge
5th Gear

Post by edge » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Cool, may have to take one for a spin and see whats what!

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Found this review which you might find interesting. Might be a bit biased as its on a BMW forum.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597861
Gone to the dark side

PJC
Cruising

Post by PJC » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm

DCT, DSG is the way forward, bloody expensive when they go wrong though.

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 pm

PaulRS4 wrote:DCT, DSG is the way forward, bloody expensive when they go wrong though.
Agree with that Paul, if I didn't have a warranty I perhaps wouldn't be thrashing it quite as much! :mrgreen:
Gone to the dark side

PJC
Cruising

Post by PJC » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Good lad, hope you are having fun.

wellzieRS4
4th Gear

Post by wellzieRS4 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Steve_C wrote:Some further thoughts while I remember.

The paintwork on the M3 is shocking - as in orange peely. My detailing man tells me that all BMWs have been this way for 10yrs now. No excuse.
In the dry the DSC kicks in too easily - for example, it just is not possible to go quickly around a small-ish roundabout. However, turning DSC off or partly off seems to solve the problem (in the dry at least!).
I love the fact that the M button (equivalent to the RS4's S button can be programmed exactly how you want it in terms of throttle response, DSC on/off, suspension stiffness, gear changes (assume DCT only) and steering weight.
I now love the DCT box so much that I seriously doubt I'll have a manual car again!!

As an aside, had a 'on the road comparison' with my mates Evo 9 GT. He's got 430bhp and 1300kgs. So as you'd expect he pulled away from me.....but only very slightly - maybe 3 car lengths by the time we'd gone from 30 to 130. This surprised me given the relative power to weight ratios.

The paintwork probably has ceramic lacquer on it, it does look quite peely but it is well hard to scratch, i had a carbon black 5 series in last week for a load of paintwork and i couldn't key it up, 400 grit on a DA sander would hardly touch it and a grey scotch brite did nothing to it was a nightmare for me cos a grey scotch brite is what u use to key up a panel for laquar

Return to “BMW M & Alpina”