Cruising

Re: Initial thoughts on the M3 (vs RS4)

Post by PJC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm

Bargain, would be my choice too..

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Got yourself a lovely looking car there Steve - really like the colour! Good write up too.... :thumbs:
2009 Sepang Blue TTRS Coupe
2006 Sprint Blue RS4 Saloon (B7) - Sold but not forgotten
2006 BMW 130i M Sport - Sold
1999 Imola Yellow S3 (Revo Stage 1 265 bhp) - Sold

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:29 am

beautiful car, really like the color
enjoy
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

scaghead
Top Gear

Post by scaghead » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:45 am

great colour steve, nice write up...look forward to your comparison after a month....enjoy it fella :beerchug:
R8 gen1 v10 plus white. Larini clubsport valved zorst.carbon side flicks,and fixed carbon spoiler.
Previous..RS4 Sprint blue loon..milltek non-res valved.revolution carbon air intake kit.cold air feed.carbon clean.MRC stage 2 remap..led interior lights.dectane led rear lights.led drls.Argon carbon oil splitter,race style front splitter,B and C door pillars and engine bottle cover..KW lowering springs.HEL brake lines all round.

Macdaddy
4th Gear

Post by Macdaddy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 am

Nice read,

Got to agree the BMW auto box is streets ahead of the Audi equivalent. I've driven both cars regular as my mate has the M3.

We've been on a few road trips and there is nothing between the cars. I've found 0-60 his acceleration is almost identical with the M3 being maybe quicker but mainly i feel due to my RS being manual and the M3 an auto and i cant compete with 0.2 gear changes.

Mid range the Audi definatley is quicker if you were to select the gear as low as the M3 would. For instance over taking on the motorway saw the M3 go from 7th to 3rd :bash: Not sure i'd ever have done that at 70 mph.
However what ever the Audi gains upto 100mph + the M3 then takes back over that speed. However the M3 if wet or greasy just cant get anywhere near the RS. With the RS you can press on almost as much as a dry road where as the M3 is pretty tail happy. I've had the rear step out in the dry entering a motorway and it wasnt funny.

I'm not a great fan of 'auto' boxes in any form, i've never like the change up mid corner that unsettles the car. Perhaps i need to live with a decent box like the M3 has and learn how to use it and understand it? The auto in town tho (majority of my driving) wins hands down, its just so effortless and makes a quick traffic light blast when you cant really be bothered so easy.

I'm currently fighting with the Audi auto box in my A4 courtesy car which also has the paddles to shift up and down, I hope the gear box is improved in the RS5 or better geared for sport as tbh i really dont like this version. Its no where near the BMW !

I personally hated the M3 when it came out but have grown to like it, Would i own one ? Yes! Would i swap from the RS? Not sure, i love the quattro too much maybe to swap.

Pro's and cons to both cars i guess, I prefer the solidness of the Audi but the BMW has better toys. Prefer the Seats in the RS but the BMW is prob more comfortable. Certainly anyone who has driven one will know just how good they are and will also come away knowing that next time ones stuck behind you on a country road that its not going to be shaken off so you need to pray for wet weather before it'll go from your mirror.
B7 RS4 Cabriolet with custom Blueflame - Gone
Misano red RS3 running Stage 1 APR - Gone
Sepang B8 RS4 with buckets - Gone
Panther Black C7 RS6 - Current Daily

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:44 am

Macdaddy wrote:I'm currently fighting with the Audi auto box in my A4 courtesy car which also has the paddles to shift up and down, I hope the gear box is improved in the RS5 or better geared for sport as tbh i really dont like this version. Its no where near the BMW !

the RS 5 has a S-tronic box

what box does this A4 have ? Tiptronic, multi tronic ?

many different types of auto boxes

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:07 am

Rick_RS4 wrote:Image

ok you can lock the thread now :kissmyrings:
Superb pic! Yours or someone elses handywork? Just wondering whether thats a B6 S4 Avant with Milltek in Dolphin like mine. Looks different, could just be the American plate and surround maybe?
B5 B6 B7 B9

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:15 am

aka_dk wrote:
Macdaddy wrote:I'm currently fighting with the Audi auto box in my A4 courtesy car which also has the paddles to shift up and down, I hope the gear box is improved in the RS5 or better geared for sport as tbh i really dont like this version. Its no where near the BMW !

The A4 and A1 that I drove both had S-tronic.
Gone to the dark side

ShaneyB
Top Gear

Post by ShaneyB » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:09 am

Always hated M3's, not sure why exactly. Then I went on a Jonathan Palmer day in Bedford. It was the first car of the day, it had been drizzling and we were warned that we WOULD spin it on the grasy surface. Well, I absolutley loved it and even when the back end felt it was going to step out you got notice of it and could rectify it. Admittedly their cars are all pretty much race cars and far lighter than stock but I thought it was an awesome bit of kit. Also you have an instructor in with you and for those who have been on those days most of them are like me, speed freaks, who like to push their cars. All they are doing is trying to get you to go as fast as you possibly can and I've never once heard them tell me to let off in 4 visits there. I'll try and dig out my USB stick with my laps on it, it sounds awesome.

Apart from the single seater and Palmer Jag I thought it was the best car there. You'll love it Steve and good luck mate.

The snow could be a different story though..
Shane

Current
2017 C7 Nardo RS6 Performance

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 lsi
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm looking forward to the snow....but only because I'll be going to a disused airfield near to me for some power slides (that's assuming I can get off my drive)!!!
Gone to the dark side

Macdaddy
4th Gear

Post by Macdaddy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:37 pm

aka_dk wrote:

How would i tell which one it is?
B7 RS4 Cabriolet with custom Blueflame - Gone
Misano red RS3 running Stage 1 APR - Gone
Sepang B8 RS4 with buckets - Gone
Panther Black C7 RS6 - Current Daily

P_G
Cruising

Post by P_G » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:44 pm

IIRC Tiptronics have wheel mounted paddles, multitronic does not.

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Shagga wrote:Always hated M3's, not sure why exactly. Then I went on a Jonathan Palmer day in Bedford. It was the first car of the day, it had been drizzling and we were warned that we WOULD spin it on the grasy surface. Well, I absolutley loved it and even when the back end felt it was going to step out you got notice of it and could rectify it. Admittedly their cars are all pretty much race cars and far lighter than stock but I thought it was an awesome bit of kit. Also you have an instructor in with you and for those who have been on those days most of them are like me, speed freaks, who like to push their cars. All they are doing is trying to get you to go as fast as you possibly can and I've never once heard them tell me to let off in 4 visits there. I'll try and dig out my USB stick with my laps on it, it sounds awesome.

Apart from the single seater and Palmer Jag I thought it was the best car there. You'll love it Steve and good luck mate.

The snow could be a different story though..
+1

JP days are awsome and would say can be more fun than tracking your own car.
Agree on the instructors - they quickly suss out what you are like and really get you to push it. In the Le man prototypes I overcooked it twice in a row and had to abort over the grass. Instructor just went "don't worry about it - occupational hazzard. We'll get it next lap and faster too"... And we did :)

ShaneyB
Top Gear

Post by ShaneyB » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Nice one ADS.

Expensive day I know but maybe a few of us should head up next summer? They do half days too.
Shane

Current
2017 C7 Nardo RS6 Performance

Gone:
C43 AMG Coupe
Black E92 M3
Daytona B7 RS4 Saloon
B6 S4 Saloon Tip
B5 S4 Avant
8L S3
Lexus IS 200
Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 lsi
Vauxhall Astra 1.6l
Fiat Uno Turbo
Fiat 127 Sport
Ford Cortina MK5
Opel Kadett

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Damn right - agree expensive but 900 odd quid for full day 500 for half. I quite fancy the half day with the single awarded and jp le man prototypes.
First time I'd drive a 911in anger on trck and first time 'I got' the whole 911 thing. Stunning car. Was a rs cup with sequential box and was an animal. Didn't get on with the Clio as it behaved converse to what I was used to when oversteering. M3 gtr was a great car and was shocking just how fast you can hustle that car through some of the corners.got a great clip on the USB stick with the instructor just 'whoo hooing' whilst flat out through a chicane was armfuls of opposite lock. :)

Return to “BMW M & Alpina”