Initial thoughts on the M3 (vs RS4)

BMW M GmbH & Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH
Steve_C
Top Gear

Initial thoughts on the M3 (vs RS4)

Post by Steve_C » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Okay, so here are my initial thoughts on the M3 – I hope you’re sitting comfortably! I’m not going to comment at this stage on performance as I am still in the ‘running in’ phase which means no full throttle and max 5500rpm. I would also emphasise that this is only an opinion but it is written in the context of me still being a big Audi RS fan as well as a new BMW M fan.

First up I didn’t choose the detailed spec as I went for a car in BMW’s stock so I could get my hands on it within 2 wks rather than the normal 6 wks. I did choose the coupe body shape as I rarely have rear seat passengers and I think it looks better than the saloon. I wanted a dark blue colour because I don’t like black or white and my last three cars have been either silver or grey and I wanted a change from that. I ended up with an Interlagos Blue car which is probably nearest in shade to the RS4 Mugello although the Mugello may be a bit darker – will post some photos up in a bit.

Looks wise I prefer the RS4 but that’s not to say the M3 Coupe is ugly. The RS4 arches and squat stance I think are awesome and hard for any car to beat. I also prefer the interior of the RS4 – better quality materials and a nicer overall appearance.

If you are into gadgets and techy stuff the M3 is streets ahead of the RS4. I know the M3 is a slightly newer car but it really is no contest on this front. So much so that I haven’t got to grips yet with the different driving modes that are available but I believe you can program the suspension, steering weight, throttle response and gear change modes across several options for each. Another gadget I like is the fact that the dash readout will tell you the oil level, oil condition, brake fluid condition, front/rear brake pad wear, next service due date and next MOT due date. Having said that the RS4 DIS system has better graphics and display quality.

The Sat nav of the M3 is better if only because it will take a full postcode entry. However, with the RS4 i found it really useful for the fact that directions on its sat nav are also displayed on the small DIS screen between the speed/revs dials. I used that small screen a lot with the RS4 but the M3 doesn’t offer such a thing.

There are a few little touches that are completely unimportant but I like them all the same. When the engine is cold the yellow/red line displayed on the rev counter moves round electronically to a lower number and slowly moves clockwise around the dial as the oil warms up. At the top of the rev counter there are 8 shift lights (6 orange, 2 red) which light up as revs increase. I haven’t seen these in action yet though due to the pesky running in I’m doing. The key fob has to be inserted into the dash to enable the engine to be started – this also facilitates the recharging of the key fob battery so it should never run out!

The main spec I wanted was the DCT gearbox which is a double clutch system similar to the VAG DSG unit. I know the old school on here will shout ‘sacrilege’ but I have briefly driven a few Audis recently with the DSG S-tronic box and it really grew on me after a few days. Now its not going to be everyone’s taste but I would certainly recommend trying it – you never know! But if you do try it, you will need to persevere; the first day with a DSG box was frustrating for me as it seemed to have a mind of its own. However, when I got to day 2 and day 3 everything seemed to click as I began to understand how the computer’s mind worked. I can honestly say that I now prefer it to a manual (well, most of the time I do!). It’s a lot easier in town obviously but I also prefer it when pressing on along B roads as you can upshift while keeping both hands on the wheel which gives you more confidence to carry faster corner speed.

One problem with the Audi DSG is that if you are in manual mode but don’t use the paddles for a short while (20 secs?) it will shift itself back to auto mode which inevitably results in the box shifting itself into top gear and thus the wrong gear if you are pressing on. The BMW DCT box does not do this and so I rate it higher. When you are in manual mode it stays there indefinitely (unless you hit the redline or put it back into auto mode yourself). I love the manual mode when you are on a A/B road and want to do some overtaking or quick acceleration as you keep you foot planted through the upshifts which are seamless. Its also a lot quicker if you find yourself in the wrong gear as the paddle is right next to your hand for a quick downshift.

An added bonus with the BMW DCT is a lovely throttle blip on the downshifts which sound very F1 like! Talking of sound, I’m reserving judgement for the time being as I am only allowed 5500rpm but initial thoughts suggest the BMW V8 is slightly more muted than the Audi V8 (but still lovely as all V8s are) but also higher pitched – almost V10 like.

The only downside for me with the DCT box is that it’s a bit slow to react if you are constantly on/off the throttle. I only noticed this when I drove along a road with a series of speed bumps. I was continually accelerating and then lifting off and the transmission seem to momentarily or have the clutch engaged between each lift off and the next bout of acceleration. Its only a minor gripe though as constant on/off of the throttle does not happen often in normal driving.

A lot of the above is splitting hairs of course as both the M3 and RS4 are very similar cars in terms of power, V8 engine, size and weight of car. The ride isn’t up to the RS4 standards but I’ll have a play with the i-drive settings and try to get something more to my liking. Traction and road holding have been very similar to the RS4 even on pot-holed badly surfaced roads which surprised me. However, I haven’t driven the M3 on a wet road yet which may throw a different light on things!

I took a friend out for a ride today and he said that it felt like the RS4 would be the quicker and safer car point to point but that the M3 would give you the biggest grin when driving it. So far, I’d have to concur with this view. Each car is probably 95% of the other in almost all respects so really its just down to personal preferences as to which car will suit you the better.

Anyway, congratulations if you’re still awake. I will post my thoughts on performance in 2-3 wks time when the redline is available to me!
Gone to the dark side

DuncS3
Top Gear

Re: Initial thoughts on the M3 (vs RS4)

Post by DuncS3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Steve, did you get EDC on your car (electronic dampers)

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:12 pm

DSC01935.jpg
DSC01935.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
DSC01934.jpg
DSC01934.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
DSC01956.jpg
DSC01956.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
Gone to the dark side

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

DuncS3 wrote:Steve, did you get EDC on your car (electronic dampers)
No it wasn't on it :(, but I've read that the non-EDC cars are slightly stiffer than the middle EDC setting so all is not lost.
Gone to the dark side

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:17 pm

well all that aside i know for a FACT my indicators work better than yours.

PJC
Cruising

Post by PJC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Very nice.

Best colour too.

Mr V10
Cruising

Post by Mr V10 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Great write up, I'm sure your going to love it the more you drive it. We've had some great weather over the period you've owned the M3. Driving it in the wet will be very different, sometimes, frustrating. The only reason being you can just mash the throttle in the wet, it will wiggle it's ass and the traction control light will flicker and flicker, whereas your old RS 4 would have shot down the road and be much further ahead at this point. That is the only downside to a great package and honestly, for the epic handling you get every time it isn't wet it will be worth it to some, and I hope it is to you, I forgot to mention the RWD in the wet thing when I promoted BMW to you! Stunning car and photos and I'll look forward to reading your thoughts in the next few weeks.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753PS, 1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic, Sepang, B&O, Tech Pack w/connect, 19" 5 Arm Wing Alloys, Comfort Pack, LED Light Pack - Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:53 pm

to be fair, many of the points you raise where the M3 is better, is simply down to age, as in the RS 4 is based on a B6 chassis first produced in 2001, and thus the technology in the car is off that era, albeit with quattro GmbH updates

but the M3 came out in the last year of the RS 4 production

The RS 5 B8 has all the gadgets the M3 has and also S-Tronic which does have a proper manual mode, you just need to flick the gear lever over to the left, and it will stay in gear foot to the floor to the red line

klauster
Top Gear

Post by klauster » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 pm

I dont like it :)

nice write up, i do think they are a good car, but for the rear wheel drive, which I know people keep mentioning that they are bad in snow, but what about the other 200 days a year when its cold and wet ;) still can't get all the power down as much as the RS4, without being a pro (driver that is) which I don't pretend to be
RS3 8P 2013 Phantom Black with Ally Pack and Black Optics Grille | LED Interior and number plate lights - GONE :(
RS4 B7 2006 Phantom Black with Titan alloys and mirrors - GONE :(

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:15 pm

ok you can lock the thread now :kissmyrings:

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:25 pm

MOAR! I love it, I'd be well up for hanging my boot in the breeze every now and then... oh and some road feeling through the wheel. Please sir, may I have some MOAR!
No matter where you go, there you are.

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 pm

aka_dk wrote:The RS 5 B8 has all the gadgets the M3 has and also S-Tronic which does have a proper manual mode, you just need to flick the gear lever over to the left, and it will stay in gear foot to the floor to the red line
Good to hear that the RS5 will stay in gear indefinitely. Presumably its the same for the RS3? Either of those could be my next car then.

To be fair, I wasn't really after an M3 but I couldn't ignore a lease cost of £500 pcm vs £730 pcm for the RS5 or £680 for the RS3.
Gone to the dark side

Steve_C
Top Gear

Post by Steve_C » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:Image

ok you can lock the thread now :kissmyrings:
:jump: Very good but that looks like its more down to the tyres than the driven wheels?
Gone to the dark side

wellzieRS4
4th Gear

Post by wellzieRS4 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 pm

great write up, makes me really tempted, im not paying much less for my RS4 on finance, i do love BMW's but nothing beats the RS for looks and thats the first thing on my list of why i want a car, must admit the m3 looks better in the flesh than in photos

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Steve_C wrote:
To be fair, I wasn't really after an M3 but I couldn't ignore a lease cost of £500 pcm vs £730 pcm for the RS5 or £680 for the RS3.

:beerchug:

i wouldnt either

Return to “BMW M & Alpina”