M5 owner & BMW owner from 30 years to C7 RS PE

BMW M GmbH & Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH
SchrickRS6
2nd Gear

M5 owner & BMW owner from 30 years to C7 RS PE

Post by SchrickRS6 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:40 pm

I see alot of posts here of people jumping from Audi to BMW, here are my thoughts & reflections on the change I made:-

Background.
At the age of 25 I bought my first BMW, a rusty 323i probably an '84er - was'nt sure really. However, even before this I was a huge M fan - after having read numerous write ups on the E34 M5 3.8l. Since the 323i my list grew to:-

635CSi 1989 Alpine White
M5 1991 Black
M5 1992 Granite Silver
M5 1995 Cosmos black
Alpina B8 coupe
M5 E39 2001 Black
M6 E63 2006 Rubin Schwartz
M5 F10 CP 2014 Alpine White
GTR Nissan 2015 Red
M5 F10 CP 2015 Monte Carlo Blue
RS6 C7 PE 2016 Ascari Blue

I think a few people have mentioned that the quality of the interior and the design itself and choice of materials is way better in the Audi, I can only concurr wholeheartedly with this. The BMW is not the worst place to find yourself in, and beats the GTR hands down but the Audi - especially with the Carbon fibre blue weave is just amazing especially the alcantara seats.

Driving dynamics - yes the BMW's are hard to beat in terms of feel, but even here the steering here is somewhat flat when dead centre in some of the cars listed above (yes, even the F10).....but especially if compared to the GTR - which has by far the best feedback & steering I have experienced.

All round weather performance in the Audi, the practicality and wow factor is what really sets the RS6 apart. Lookswise - I would also have to say that the C7, from pretty much all angles is stunning. Really Audi, well done.

Other things I love are some of the details in MMI that are missing in the iDrive, which have made me also into an MMI fan right now. A typical example is when you want to check Oil prices or the Weather, and you have the option of seeing the immediate vicinity or the area around your destination.

I have the DRC pack and am quite satisfied in the handling of this weighty beast, and content in the knowledge I never have to worry about spinning my tires dry or wet in anything under 3rd gear from now on!

Currently tuned by Dahlbäck Racing to Stage 1, and very happy with it. Love Ascari as a colour and suffering from brake vibration - most likely uneven pad coating on the discs.

To summarise - I dont think grass is always greener on the other side, BMW does things very well - but in this case it doesnt have any car to rival the newer RS6's for both practicality and performance.... and I enjoy owning this car as much as having ownied any of the cars on the list - if not more.

Thanks for reading my blurb!
Thanks
J

Current :Audi RS6 2016 PE Ascari Blue
Previous: BMW's, Mainly M5's E34-F10 and an Alpina B8, with a few Cozzies thrown in.

stevo55
5th Gear

Re: M5 owner & BMW owner from 30 years to C7 RS PE

Post by stevo55 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Interesting read and I’m still debating whether to go back to M or to a C7 RS6 or even an E63s.
M cars handle better and few more ‘alive’ than any RS I have had, AMG I’m still debating on after my disastrous A45 ownership. Have to test drive one to see I guess.
By far the most complete and ‘best’ car was the C7 RS6.
Audi knocked it out of the park with the C7 and the residuals are rock solid compared to the C8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 C7 RS6 Misano Red Performance Plus and unicorn miles
2012 Land Rover Defender XS Utility Full Tweaked Spectre conversion
2018 B9 RS5 coupe. Milltek Non-Res Exhaust. now gone
2017 BMW M3 Comp Pack.
2015 A45 AMG.Overrated POS.
2016 C7 RS6 Panther black.
2009 C6 RS6 phantom black saloon. Milltek
2012 BMW M135i 3 door. MP brakes and AC Schnitzer springs. JB4 tuning box
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster.
2004 Alpina Roadster.
2001 BMW 330 ci convertible.
1994 E34 M5 Saloon

SchrickRS6
2nd Gear

Re: M5 owner & BMW owner from 30 years to C7 RS PE

Post by SchrickRS6 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:22 am

I think I am in a pretty good position to compare, and of course here we are talking about the M vs RS choices. After having driven the C5 RS6 also, and raced it against an E39 M5, they are extremely similair in the dry. Havent had a chance to test a C6 RS6, but from what I have read the driving dynamics are not fantastic.

Will I miss the not having that BMW steering feel, no - I wont as I think the DRC is good enough for me - and the performance all year/weather and practicality plus interior just offsets any regret.... by far.

Plus as you mentioned - those residuals right now, irrelevant as it may be as I am not selling :biggrin3:
Thanks
J

Current :Audi RS6 2016 PE Ascari Blue
Previous: BMW's, Mainly M5's E34-F10 and an Alpina B8, with a few Cozzies thrown in.

Return to “BMW M & Alpina”