New Car Collected!!

BMW M GmbH & Alpina Burkard Bovensiepen GmbH
W8PMC
Cruising

New Car Collected!!

Post by W8PMC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 am

Only going to do a brief review as so far only managed 80 miles & most of that time i was familiarising myself with my new surroundings.

Train journey over to Chesterfield to collect my M5 was seamless & the Sales Rep met me at the station to give me a lift to the dealers. Handover with Stratstone was simple & straight forward & i can't recommend them enough. There was a small cock up/misunderstanding there end regarding insurance as i was told on Friday i'd get there 7 day cover free & my Tesco cover was due to kick in at the weekend, however for some reason this hadn't happened so i had to get Tesco to bring my cover forward which cost me 69p. As a result of this last minute hitch, the rep put £50 worth of fuel in the car & got the Valeting team to do the Guard treatment on the seats & carpets FOC. so the minor inconvenience was no issue.

The car itself looks stunning & as a few have said, very understated which is exactly what i wanted. It looks mean & purposeful without needing to shout. Loving the wheels & the huuuge discs behind them. The colour combo of Singapore Grey with Silverstone leather is a fabulous match & i'm so pleased with it.

The drive is best described as Epic & is exactly as Hamster referred to on Top Gear. An Animal when you hit the M Button but a luxury cruiser when you set all to comfort. Liking the fact now only 3 setting for Throttle, Suspension, Steering & Gear Shift & these can now all be altered on the move without messing with the iDrive, you can also save 2 favourite combos to M buttons on the wheel. Each setting can felt & all have there merits although not really played with them all fully yet.

Being an M i have to take things easyish for 1200 miles when the Run In service gets done so no more than 5000 rpm for now. This is plenty though for the time being whilst i get used to RWD. Also loving the fact that when cruising at 80mph the car is just tipping the 30mpg mark which for a big chunk of my driving is what i'll be getting.

Lots & lots of nice toys in the car such as HUD, BMW Integrated Apps (can Facebook & Tweet from the car), integrated office for email, contacts & calendar (not worked out how to use that yet) . Still a lot of toys to play with & work out. The Harman Kardon Music system is fantastic & more than on a par with the B&O in our Q5. Need to mess about with the Equaliser still to get a perfect sound.

Very very happy & the F10 M5 is arms & legs better & most importantly more usable than the E60 i had years ago.

Excuse the poor quality but were taken with my iPhone as it just started to rain.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xol9q0wbz9ptp2q/aHV4Ce8hE3
Paul
03 Black AmD Stage3 C5 RS6 Saloon (Sold)
05 Blue DMS E60 M5 (Sold)
07 Blue DMS B7 RS4 Saloon (Sold)
10 White Nissan R35 GT-R Premium Edition SVM Stage 4 (Sold)
12 White D4 A8 TDi SE Executive (Sold)
14 Grey LCi F10 M5 (Rejected)
14 Blue DMS Stage 2 LCi F10 M5 (Sold)
17 Grey FFRR Autobiography (Rejected)
17 Black D4 A8 TDi Black Edition (Sold)
18 White APR Stage 2 Golf R 7.5 Estate

PJC
Cruising

Re: New Car Collected!!

Post by PJC » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Very nice, are you bringing it to Spa?

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 am

PaulRS4 wrote:Very nice, are you bringing it to Spa?
Hi Paul,

Although very tempting, i'm co-pilot with PhilT so will be coming over shotgun in his GT-R. The M5 wasn't due to arrive for another 4 weeks so was never a consideration up until i got the call on Friday to say it had arrived from the factory & could be collected this week.

As much as i love Spa & have enjoyed a couple of the 2 day track days there (1st in an E60 M5 & then in a B7 RS4), i feel i'd need a little more time to get acquainted with my new car before i chuck it on track. I also have the added advantage that i can drink all Phil's beer allowance as him being the driver i can do the supping:)
Paul

DuncS3
Top Gear

Post by DuncS3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 am

Nice - stealthy with the standard wheels - enjoy. I considered/test drove a M5 before I went for a C63 - M5 felt super quick, just didn't get on with the way it sounded to me plus a bit too big for my needs but you should have some great fun in that car. The DCT is a masterpiece.

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:34 am

DuncS3 wrote:Nice - stealthy with the standard wheels - enjoy. I considered/test drove a M5 before I went for a C63 - M5 felt super quick, just didn't get on with the way it sounded to me plus a bit too big for my needs but you should have some great fun in that car. The DCT is a masterpiece.
Thanks Dunc,

I decided that as most M5's seem to be coming spec'd with the bigger 20" wheels & that the actual style (although not size) is quite popular on regular 5 Series models i wanted to be different so opted for the OEM M5 wheels which personally i prefer on Singapore Grey as the colours go really well together.

Not sure anything can compare with the sound of the C63, it's very Thor like. Having had a few (loud cars) i wanted noise but slightly less drama as a-lot of my driving is long distance motorway so comfort was a big a factor as performance & noise. I considered the E63 alongside the M5 as there were some equally good deals about.
Paul

ROY
4th Gear

Post by ROY » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:11 am

The problem with the M5 is its so well insulated and sound proofed it just cuts out any exhaust sound, all you can hear is a faint V8 zort note, diff whine when the electronics kick In to stop it doing a 360 and the turbo's spooling up.
I let a mate at work drive n do a fly past so I could hear it as a pedestrian and by <beep> it sounds well - don't be fooled or disappointed by the sound from inside n wait till you've run it in, damn these cars pulls hard F***** <beep> scary.
Whatever you do DO NO TURN OFF TRACTION COMPLETELY UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR'E DOING :<beep>_you:
I don't so I have I on MDM which let's you drift a little
Gone but not forgotten boohoo !!!
RS4 Sprint Blue Avant on Dyno after Carbon Clean http://youtu.be/7lsBbmmaDQc

W8PMC
Cruising

Post by W8PMC » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:04 am

ROY wrote:The problem with the M5 is its so well insulated and sound proofed it just cuts out any exhaust sound, all you can hear is a faint V8 zort note, diff whine when the electronics kick In to stop it doing a 360 and the turbo's spooling up.
I let a mate at work drive n do a fly past so I could hear it as a pedestrian and by <beep> it sounds well - don't be fooled or disappointed by the sound from inside n wait till you've run it in, damn these cars pulls hard F***** <beep> scary.
Whatever you do DO NO TURN OFF TRACTION COMPLETELY UNLESS YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR'E DOING :<beep>_you:
I don't so I have I on MDM which let's you drift a little
Cheers Roy. Having had the E60 M5 (never really enjoyed that car) i know they can get a little lively round the back so it will be a good while before i consider getting brave.

Still not driven the car since collecting it on the 30th Sept but taking her for a run out to Cardiff this weekend (400 mile round trip).

Got a feeling it will take a while to get used to this new monster & certainly a considerable number of toys/options etc to fiddle with. That said i'm certainly looking forward to using her & hope my relationship with the F10 M5 is better than the E60 M5 was.
Paul

Return to “BMW M & Alpina”