"other" Audi forum?

Off topic chat
missmouse
2nd Gear

"other" Audi forum?

Post by missmouse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Not that i make much use of it, but I see the "other" forum is now forcing all to join something called "tapatalk" ! Bet this results in a great loss of members!

HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: "other" Audi forum?

Post by HPsauce » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Yup, I've given up on it. The forum is insisting that I register as a Tapatalk user with a new username which I have no interest in doing.
Also, my username on that forum (I assume you mean AudiSRS) is already taken on Tapatalk so it wants me to choose another one.

Finally, because I won't register with Tapatalk I am locked out totally, can't even delete my account, that's really dumb! :bash:

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 pm

You could log in with your local forum details until 15 Jan 2020 from memory, but after that it's tapatalk only. Great pity, it was the B5 RS4 goto. Really hard to fathom, one site takes one car as it's flagship and so on. This forum is certainly C5 RS6 par excellence.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:08 am

IchBautAuto wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 pm
You could log in with your local forum details until 15 Jan 2020 from memory, but after that it's tapatalk only. Great pity, it was the B5 RS4 goto. Really hard to fathom, one site takes one car as it's flagship and so on. This forum is certainly C5 RS6 par excellence.
This was the go to place for B7 RS4 too until a lot of them joined a Facebook group.

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:32 am

Yep, no keeping up with rapidly changing tastes. Maybe we should have meet in person clubs. A NEW! idea.
C5 RS6, Milltek and Wagners: B5 RS4 450 + HP: A4 1.8 GP TQS original: 1963 UNIMOG 404:

s3_irl
Neutral

Post by s3_irl » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Is there something wrong with using tapatalk ?
I think the way forward is the felt-spec double-bluff!

IchBautAuto
4th Gear

Post by IchBautAuto » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:17 pm

Not necessarily. I was on tapatalk years ago. It was sold on the strength of mobile access but as I still use a windows phone, the tapatalk app from that time no longer works, so belonging has absolutely no value to me. Personally I wasn't impressed with the way the forum transition occurred over a few years. The original site was "owned" by someone and that someone made a decision to transfer / sell / whatever the site to tapatalk. Initially nothing changed and you continued to sign in with your site username and password, then it was intimated that you must join tapatalk to continue access and that initially proved to be a bit misleading, finally however that was the outcome. Some of the original members offered to pay a membership fee to keep the old site afloat but that was ignored. Recently, members are now being asked to "donate" so cost wise it has come to pass despite the change in ownership. For me there is a huge difference between donating to an individual to keep a community service viable and donating to an international company.

I respect the people who set up forums and their right to either make money as a business or cover costs, dependent on their focus. The lack of transparency in this instance made me cautious about the aim. Otherwise I don't think Tapatalk differs in any particular way from other US based social media.

In summary for me, what was a local social enthusiasts site has been assumed by a global company that brings with it the same issues that FB and other information gathering platforms have. For some this is no issue, for others it isn't defensible. Choice for all of us between going with the flow and taking a stand.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”