Roadtrip across the pond

Off topic chat
HarpreetSingh
Neutral

Roadtrip across the pond

Post by HarpreetSingh » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Evening chaps, chapesse's and everyone inbetween

Many thanks for the warm welcome!! My B7 RS4 is still keeping me smiling :blackrs4: :biggrin3: (until it inevitably rinses me of my savings no doubt). Some advice from the international trekkers out there please

Looking at planning for an international road trip out in the USA with a few of my friends. Im thinking East to West Coast for now however need to finesse this a little more. Importing and Exporting the car to and from the UK isn't proving to be a headache for me, but more finding an insurance company who is willing to cover a UK registered car on US soil albeit for between 30-40 days. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've tried Hagerty Insurance as they have American counterparts however they only cover recognised rallies and said my car isn't old enough :|

Any steer that you could give me would be gratefully received!

FrazerD
4th Gear

Re: Roadtrip across the pond

Post by FrazerD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Nothing in between a “chap” or a “chapesse”.

Getting to your road trip, are you really planning on importing your RS4 to America for a month then import it back? Surely that’s just a huge ball ache. I get the whole experience and it would be unforgettable but for me, it would be an excuse to hire a muscle car of your choice and do it in style, corvette, camaro, charger, viper, mustang.

Cheers :thumbs:

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 pm
Nothing in between a “chap” or a “chapesse”.

Getting to your road trip, are you really planning on importing your RS4 to America for a month then import it back? Surely that’s just a huge ball ache. I get the whole experience and it would be unforgettable but for me, it would be an excuse to hire a muscle car of your choice and do it in style, corvette, camaro, charger, viper, mustang.

This sounds like a good idea. Not sure what the charge would be to leave the car at the opposite end of the continent would be though.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 pm
This sounds like a good idea. Not sure what the charge would be to leave the car at the opposite end of the continent would be though.
I suppose it depends how big the company is. If you managed to get a car like that through a big rental company, wouldn’t be any charge, happens all the time with folk driving between airports.

https://exoticcars.enterprise.com/en/vehicles.html

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 pm

I did a a quick search and the usual suspect came up like Hertz and Enterprise so they will have branches across the USA.

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:04 pm

I did a road trip this year from Vancouver to Vegas ( just over 1600 miles ) via the Pacific coast highway , Redwood national park , Yosemite national park, San Francisco , Death Valley and onto Vegas . In a mid size Suv and the cost was around £650 and that was with a favourable travel employee discount. Iirc correctly there was a one way rental charge of about £120 included in that .
Btw the rental car was picked up just across the border in Bellingham USA.

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 pm

Last time I was in the US I came across a heavily modified Transporter T3 in full 4x4 offroad + RV guise. It was German registered. So it must be possible to temporarily import your car there and do all the insurance, etc. First time I have seen a European registered car in North America.

I agree that it would be massively easier just to rent a car.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:12 pm

I don’t get why you want to take yoUr car - it isn’t exactly fun driving over there !
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

alfrs6
Neutral

Post by alfrs6 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:19 am

I’ve done Route 66 and Pacific coast highway, but rented a Camaro SS there, doing it in a muscle car does add to the Americana of it all.

I have however looked into doing this with the motorbike, albeit a while ago now, but planned to ship it over for a month then back. There are several companies who take care of just about everything to do with it, some including helping you sort out insurance, you just have to drop it off at airport/port of your choosing. Might be worth doing a google for some bike companies and see if they are aware of any similar types for cars?
Current
2016 RS6 C7
2016 Nissan Navara
2012 Triumph Daytona
1999 E36 Drifter
1998 E36 S54 Drifter

Previous
2014 Nissan GTR
2011 Audi S3
2003 BMW M3

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:34 pm

alfrs6 wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:19 am
I’ve done Route 66 and Pacific coast highway, but rented a Camaro SS there, doing it in a muscle car does add to the Americana of it all.

I have however looked into doing this with the motorbike, albeit a while ago now, but planned to ship it over for a month then back. There are several companies who take care of just about everything to do with it, some including helping you sort out insurance, you just have to drop it off at airport/port of your choosing. Might be worth doing a google for some bike companies and see if they are aware of any similar types for cars?
Do you know your signature says you have an RS7?

alfrs6
Neutral

Post by alfrs6 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:35 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Do you know your signature says you have an RS7?
:oops:
Current
2016 RS6 C7
2016 Nissan Navara
2012 Triumph Daytona
1999 E36 Drifter
1998 E36 S54 Drifter

Previous
2014 Nissan GTR
2011 Audi S3
2003 BMW M3

HarpreetSingh
Neutral

Post by HarpreetSingh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi Folks, Merry belated Christmas to you all and hope you all had a good one!

Thanks for the input here, much appreciated although I can see I probably wasn't clear on my original question.

- the importing/exporting of the vehicle to and from the UK and USA isn't an issue. I've shortlisted a number of companies who can do what they need to in terms of customs clearance and ensuring that the car is insured for the transit both ways overseas. IMO the costs aren't really that bad, although I appreciate everyone has a different idea on what costs warrant worthiness of a given roadtrip- different strokes. It's something I've always wanted to do and my personal circumstances permit me to at the moment hence my commitment for making it happen.

-The part I need pointers on are of any known companies in the UK who insure vehicles internationally. (Alfrs6- thanks for the heads up ill do some digging). If anyone has any recommendations/ideas please send them my way, otherwise I'll be looking to contact some overseas insurers to see what can be done.

Thanks all

R56WUF
2nd Gear

Post by R56WUF » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:50 pm

Our of interest what are the rough costs involved in shipping to and from?
2004 C5 RS6 - Missano Red (the fastest colour...) - Departed
2004 C5 RS6 - Sprint Blue (the prettiest colour...) - Poorly

HarpreetSingh
Neutral

Post by HarpreetSingh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 pm

R56WUF wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:50 pm
circa £600 to East coast, circa £900 from West Coast- both excluding taxes.

zappy-chops
3rd Gear

Post by zappy-chops » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 am

HarpreetSingh wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:37 pm
R56WUF wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:50 pm
circa £600 to East coast, circa £900 from West Coast- both excluding taxes.
Is that going by ship or cargo plane? You'll be without the car for a rather long time if it's going by ship I guess. And how long does customs clearance take at each end? Did you also look into what they will actually do to the car in customs? Let a sniffer dog run around it or will they potentially take it apart in some capacity?

Regarding the insurance, I haven't watched all the YouTube videos yet but "seen through glass" is taking a Porsche 911 around the world and I am sure I saw that one of his videos talks about insurance for the trip. You may get some tips there.
Currently running:
18 plate Lamborghini Huracan Performante (5.2l of V10 naturally aspirated craziness)
67 plate RS6 Performance (fully loaded)
66 plate Range Rover Autobiography (for wafting around)
16 plate Mini Cooper S convertible (lots of fun but rather skittish when thrashed)

Favourite car ever owned:
1971 Citroen DS21 - The Goddess (pure art on wheels)

Return to “Off Topic Chat”