TV Licence

Off topic chat
FrazerD
4th Gear

TV Licence

Post by FrazerD » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am

Hi folks,

On another forum I am on, there’s a thread about the bbc and tv licence and I am just curious about folks thoughts on here.

Do you pay for a tv licence? And if it’s a no, have you had any bother about it?

Cheers :thumbs:

MrHilario
5th Gear

Re: TV Licence

Post by MrHilario » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 am

Yes because it's not worth the hassle and I like Sir David Attenborough. :bowdown:

You own an RS4, you can afford a licence you tight git. :roll:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 pm

MrHilario wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 am
Yes because it's not worth the hassle and I like Sir David Attenborough. :bowdown:

You own an RS4, you can afford a licence you tight git. :roll:
I don’t pay any bills in my household so it wasn’t really about the money. I was more curious to know as I think you would be surprised at how many folk don’t.

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I don’t pay any bills in my household so it wasn’t really about the money. I was more curious to know as I think you would be surprised at how many folk don’t.

I've seen many a YouTube video about the tv licence warriors, but like I say it's not that expensive and probably more hassle than it's worth to not pay. :thumb:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm

MrHilario wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm
I've seen many a YouTube video about the tv licence warriors, but like I say it's not that expensive and probably more hassle than it's worth to not pay. :thumb:
Yea I see what you’re saying but it all adds up. I will assume that you have another viewing platform, sky, virgin, bt or the like so does it not annoy you that if you are watching a BBC channel via one of these, you are effectively paying twice.

If that’s the way you look at it, surely it then comes down to the principal of it.

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Twelve quid a month, who cares.

Bloke at work doesn't have a license but doesn't watch BBC live etc. He's never had any bother in 10 years.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 pm

daytonamart wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:37 pm
Twelve quid a month, who cares.

Bloke at work doesn't have a license but doesn't watch BBC live etc. He's never had any bother in 10 years.
As I said, I don’t pay the bills so I’m more just curious. You could say that about a lot though, £12 a month here, £20 a month there etc etc and you have soon burnt through £100.

You wouldn’t let netflix or now tv carry on taking money out of your account if you didn’t want to be subscribed to them anymore.

Rs4.
3rd Gear

Post by Rs4. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 am

Perfectly legal not to have a tv license restricted to no live tv or propaganda tv mean bbc
I bet most people waste hundred s paying for tv services they don’t use
But if you have daughters /wife in your house It is more than your life is worth lol
Rs4 phantom black b7 avant : Mrc stage2 manifold: Bmc filter :Black optics exhaust :kW springs :trups led lighting :10mm rear h&R spacers :front 8mm H&R spacers :Carbon front splitter,& oil cooler :Carbon seat backs :hel braided hoses :
Security viper alarm /tracker

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 am

FrazerD wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm
MrHilario wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm
Yea I see what you’re saying but it all adds up. I will assume that you have another viewing platform, sky, virgin, bt or the like so does it not annoy you that if you are watching a BBC channel via one of these, you are effectively paying twice.

If that’s the way you look at it, surely it then comes down to the principal of it.

Agreed but I spend far much more on booze/takeaways to notice £12 a month, lol, so I just don't worry about it and pay it. It's only a tank or two of petrol at the end of the day. :thumb:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:31 pm

I would happily pay double for the TV licence. You really appreciate the value of the BBC when you have seen how TV is in other countries. Long live the Beeb!
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Post by MartayMcFly » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:24 pm

If you're going to use the service, pay the fee (now technically classified as a tax). If you don't ever watch TV or listen to BBC radio, then don't pay for it. If you do use any live TV service, or any BBC service, and don't pay your TV licence out of some sort of pathetic protest, then you're just a cu... wait, am I allowed dropping c-bombs in here?
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

cuttsy
2nd Gear

Post by cuttsy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am

We had to buy one at work, as we have devices that are capable of watching BBC, the TV licensing people kept sending us notices!

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 pm

The TV license generates over £5 billion in Tax, that ain't too bad. Another bend over tax. :drink:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:13 pm

In watch nothing on the BBC so I don't see why I need to pay. I hate that you are forced into it and seemingly no way out of it ?

I have Sky and watch sports and the documentary channels, but because the service also allows me to watch BBC if I wanted to.... I need to pay for that also ? Even though I never watch it !

It shouldn't be legal !

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:13 pm
In watch nothing on the BBC so I don't see why I need to pay. I hate that you are forced into it and seemingly no way out of it ?

I have Sky and watch sports and the documentary channels, but because the service also allows me to watch BBC if I wanted to.... I need to pay for that also ? Even though I never watch it !

It shouldn't be legal !
This was kind of my point all along, not trying to penny pinch and save myself a few bob but the principal of it. Firstly, it’s ridiculous that even if you don’t watch it but your tv/box receives it, you “have” to pay for it. A bit like me putting on a single person drama at my local village hall and inviting every village resident then charging them wether they came or didn’t but could of.

Secondly, I understand it was the case when your tv had a tube behind it and were lucky to get channel 5 that the tv licence existed but in this day and age with Bt, Sky, Virgin etc, I have to pay for a tv licence just because my tv/box receives it but I also pay for Bt so regardless if I watch BBC anything, I am paying twice for the privilege.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”