Rant: slow drivers

Off topic chat
Shoppinit
Cruising

Rant: slow drivers

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am

Something's been bugging me...

What's with all the people driving at 10-15mph below the speed limit? This is now the norm rather than the exception.

I'm not a boy racer and I respect the speed limits when I'm going somewhere. But every time I come to a 50 I'm stuck behind people driving at 35-40. More usually a queue of sheeple to whom it doesn't even occur to overtake. It's even worse if it's a country road. Or a 60. Often here people sit at 40mph, then when goes into a 30 they continue on at a zombie-brained 40mph.

So then I have to overtake (if it's possible and if I'm in an appropriate car - some of mine are not appropriate for overtaking if you value the cleanliness of your underwear) and guess who's the a-hole? Me! The numpties driving at 35 in a 50 then get upset at the audacity of someone that would dare to overtake them! Cue the flashed headlights or exaggerated head-shaking in the rear view.

Do these people think they going to get a gold star for not even doing the speed limit? What's going on in that head? Do they expect to be rewarded in the afterlife for having held everyone else up?

ALL I WANT TO DO IS DRIVE AT THE SPEED LIMIT.

I get that in some cars and for some roads (rarely) it's not appropriate to drive at the speed limit and that's fine. Can't blame anyone for not having a car with good handling. But if I can overtake you in a Mitsubishi Outlander then you really are going too slow.

Frustration makes driving more dangerous for everyone.

/Rant off.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

chunky79
Cruising

Re: Rant: slow drivers

Post by chunky79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Yup, happens to me every day, and when you're in a van it's even bloody harder to overtake. Biggest pi$$take is when you go to overtake and they then speed up :twisted:.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Eddie555
Cruising

Post by Eddie555 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 pm
Yup, happens to me every day, and when you're in a van it's even bloody harder to overtake. Biggest pi$$take is when you go to overtake and they then speed up :twisted:.
How do think I feel in the truck!?!?!? It drives me nuts. Middle lane noggers are the worst. Especially on the M6 smart motorway part at the mo. WTF are they doing in the middle doing 40-45mph. I pass them on the inside and they then blip their horns at me. Oh f@@k off mate is what they get in return.
Current ride’s
Q7 Floret Silver Black Edition On 22’s (2018)
Renault Clio 172 Cup. (Babe the track pig)

Previous rides
SQ5 Glacier white( 2016 65reg)
RS6 avant C7 Daytona Grey 2015 facelift. The one I waved goodbye to!!
2013: Q7 3.0 tdi s/line plus ibis white (13reg)
2012: S5 cabriolet glacier white (62 reg)
2011: RS4 saloon B7. Avus (57 reg)

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Shoppinit wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am
It's even worse if it's a country road. Or a 60. Often here people sit at 40mph, then when goes into a 30 they continue on at a zombie-brained 40mph.
That occurs in spades almost every time I drive down a B-road that runs about 3 miles from my village to the next one, 30 in each village and 40 on the B-road (used to be 60 but there are a fair few houses at intervals and no pavements) which runs mostly through woods.

I'm convinced that a lot of people driving along it have terrible eyesight because they drive along it at 30, max 35 in the wooded sections then when they get to the 30 limit it all opens up, wide spaces, pavements and grass verges and they actually speed up to typically 40!
:FIREdevil:

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Biggest pi$$take is when you go to overtake and they then speed up :twisted:.
Got to admit I love doing this. Although in fairness it's only when I'm on the motorway doing the speed limit in the outside lane behind someone, and someone else is right up my arse.

When the car in front pulls in, I slowly overtake, and wait for the person behind me to try and overtake me, then just put my foot down and pull in front of them when we get to more traffic. If you do it right, you can really annoy some people. :lol:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:07 pm

MrHilario wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm
chunky79 wrote:
Biggest pi$$take is when you go to overtake and they then speed up :twisted:.
Got to admit I love doing this. Although in fairness it's only when I'm on the motorway doing the speed limit in the outside lane behind someone, and someone else is right up my arse.

When the car in front pulls in, I slowly overtake, and wait for the person behind me to try and overtake me, then just put my foot down and pull in front of them when we get to more traffic. If you do it right, you can really annoy some people. :lol:
It's normally when single lane goes to dual, cnuts are doing 40 then as I go to pass they decide they can now do the limit as I'm alongside. Work have had plenty of complaints cause I normally get out and launch a round of Fecks at the cowards when we get to a junction.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Eddie555 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:30 pm
chunky79 wrote:
How do think I feel in the truck!?!?!? It drives me nuts. Middle lane noggers are the worst. Especially on the M6 smart motorway part at the mo. WTF are they doing in the middle doing 40-45mph. I pass them on the inside and they then blip their horns at me. Oh f@@k off mate is what they get in return.
Don't get me started on the smart motorway Ed, most of the knobs are lorry drivers who don't know how to use it, See loads of them sitting in the "3rd" lane when the inside 2 are free.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

Weiß-sechs
5th Gear

Post by Weiß-sechs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Saw a 5 lorry concertina in the roadworks of the "smart" (not so) M6 couple of weeks back...not pretty, but you've got to wonder about the mentality of some drivers. 50 mph limit and they still manage to pile into the vehicle in front.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:42 pm

I find the majority of folk shouldn’t be aloud to leave their house unsupervised never mind drive.

Chunky, I feel your pain, not quite as fast but I hate when folk slow me down in my fastrac, it usually leads to their rear view mirror being full of tractor grill and a whole heap of work lights. I appreciate the stopping distance of fully laden lorries etc and you hear lorry drivers going on about that most car drivers don’t so where do you stand when you see two artic lorries, the second is either empty or has more horses and is biding his time for an incline so he can pass the lorry in front but in the mean time, is sitting a couple of yards behind the wagon in front and can’t see a thing. I can only imagine their sole focus is the brake lights in front.

Cheers :thumbs:

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:42 pm
I find the majority of folk shouldn’t be aloud to leave their house unsupervised never mind drive.

Chunky, I feel your pain, not quite as fast but I hate when folk slow me down in my fastrac, it usually leads to their rear view mirror being full of tractor grill and a whole heap of work lights. I appreciate the stopping distance of fully laden lorries etc and you hear lorry drivers going on about that most car drivers don’t so where do you stand when you see two artic lorries, the second is either empty or has more horses and is biding his time for an incline so he can pass the lorry in front but in the mean time, is sitting a couple of yards behind the wagon in front and can’t see a thing. I can only imagine their sole focus is the brake lights in front.

Your fastrac is probably quicker than my van!
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm
It sits at 63k flat out, about 39mph so I doubt that. I assumed when you said truck you meant artic.

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:42 pm
I appreciate the stopping distance of fully laden lorries etc and you hear lorry drivers going on about that most car drivers don’t so where do you stand when you see two artic lorries, the second is either empty or has more horses and is biding his time for an incline so he can pass the lorry in front but in the mean time, is sitting a couple of yards behind the wagon in front and can’t see a thing. I can only imagine their sole focus is the brake lights in front.
The fuel saving is immense! :mrgreen:

Coming home through aforementioned M6 road works in my Audi, I followed an artic for several miles that was doing an identical speed to me on cruise control, DIS was showing instant read out 90-100 mpg (A4 B7 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic)

A few months ago I latched onto the back of a car transporter at a roundabout, it had cars on top but didn't have one at the back on the bottom deck, so I could get right underneath it whilst still having okay visibility, barely had to pedal to maintain 30 mph, and I was on my Kona commuter rather than my more racy Bianchi!
B5 B6 B7 B9

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 pm

I get this every day on a single lane road with a 60mph limit. I think the issue is that most of these herberts think the limit is 40 or 50mph. The preceding dual carriageway is restricted to 60mph for all vehicles so it has 60mph speed signs, then when it goes into the single lane you get a national speed limit applies signs and I think most of them assume the speed must now be less than the dual carriageway but it isn't (not for cars at least). But I just don't think they understand.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 pm

chunky79 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm
My confusion, it was Eddie that said truck.
Ian_C wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 pm
The fuel saving is immense! :mrgreen:

Coming home through aforementioned M6 road works in my Audi, I followed an artic for several miles that was doing an identical speed to me on cruise control, DIS was showing instant read out 90-100 mpg (A4 B7 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic)

A few months ago I latched onto the back of a car transporter at a roundabout, it had cars on top but didn't have one at the back on the bottom deck, so I could get right underneath it whilst still having okay visibility, barely had to pedal to maintain 30 mph, and I was on my Kona commuter rather than my more racy Bianchi!
Haha, I know what you mean about cycling, I’ve done it a couple of times on my way home but I wouldn’t do it in my car let alone an artic. I was just curious about the thoughts.

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 pm
I get this every day on a single lane road with a 60mph limit. I think the issue is that most of these herberts think the limit is 40 or 50mph. The preceding dual carriageway is restricted to 60mph for all vehicles so it has 60mph speed signs, then when it goes into the single lane you get a national speed limit applies signs and I think most of them assume the speed must now be less than the dual carriageway but it isn't (not for cars at least). But I just don't think they understand.
Another thing that's retarded is folk who do 40 in a 60 then carry in doing 40 into the 30. Got a great stretch of winding national speed limit by my house, dorks doing 35-40 along it, then drops to 30 through some nasty blind bends, <beep> don't slow down at all and there's normally pedestrians crossing/ walking in the road.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

Return to “Off Topic Chat”