Mark-RS
4th Gear

Re: Bit Coins

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 am

don0301 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm
Mark-RS wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm
Chinese New year. The dip happens every year at this time. It's nothing out of the ordinary.
Chinese New Year is 16 Feb.... :biggrin3:
Sell off usually occurs leading "Up" to it. Not on the exact date.

But feel free to pick apart anything you please if it helps you to make a point in some way.

don0301
4th Gear

Post by don0301 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 am

Mark-RS wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 am
don0301 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm
Mark-RS wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm
Chinese New year. The dip happens every year at this time. It's nothing out of the ordinary.
Chinese New Year is 16 Feb.... :biggrin3:
Sell off usually occurs leading "Up" to it. Not on the exact date.

But feel free to pick apart anything you please if it helps you to make a point in some way.
Oh 5 weeks before then :biggrin3:
Mark-RS wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:17 am
Thread is always full of doom and gloom with the non believers trying to prove themselves right for not getting into it.

I am still about £18k up on what I invested into this. I have been through many dips over the years and this will be exactly the same. It will progress again, even more rapidly in the new year than it has done this past year.

For those wanting to get in on it, now is your prime opportunity. Buy in the dip ! The longer you wait the more expensive it will be and the higher the risk will be. The next dip will not be as cheap as this one as the coins will be more costly, therefore the fall price will also still be more costly.

:biggrin3: :biggrin3: :biggrin3:
Ferrari 488 Spider
C6 RS6
E46 M3 convertible
Nissan 200sx mk 2
Vauxhall Senator
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Vauxhall Belmont SRi
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
1st car Datsun 120 FII Lime green....yeah :shock:

don0301
4th Gear

Post by don0301 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 am

Mark-RS wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:12 am
Not everyone has bottomless pockets as it appears you do......

:biggrin3: Another dreamer
Ferrari 488 Spider
C6 RS6
E46 M3 convertible
Nissan 200sx mk 2
Vauxhall Senator
Ford Sierra 1.8LX
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
Vauxhall Belmont SRi
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
Vauxhall Astra 1.3
1st car Datsun 120 FII Lime green....yeah :shock:

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

To make a little simpler for you....

Before Xmas there was a dip.

This is the point in time when you buy.

In the new year prices spiked.

So you would have made profit.

Now we are heading to the Chinese New Year, had you predicted it correctly you would have sold again, after the New Year rise.

Now we have this dip, you would buy again.

Prices will then go up and again, you will profit.

You see the pattern here ? It's a fluctuation, it's not a constant. It goes up, it goes down. Predict it correctly and you profit.

But all you seem to want to do in this thread is to put people off from doing it. I really don't see the point in that. There is no difference to this than regular stocks and shares. Everything goes up, everything goes down. Predict what will and what won't and you can make a hell of a lot of money.

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Mark-RS wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am
There is no difference to this than regular stocks and shares. Everything goes up, everything goes down. Predict what will and what won't and you can make a hell of a lot of money.
Well it is a little different, in that you're dealing with a largely unregulated asset, cowboy exchanges etc. The size of the swings makes it interesting to play on with some money that you can afford to lose, but you wouldn't in good sense put all of your eggs in a basket that can proclaim itself hacked tomorrow and disappear. It's getting better than it used to be, but the underlying trading structures of the stock market are safer and better developed. There's even some technical support that you can count on.

I think the closest thing is speculating on gold, a material that does have some intrinsic value, but if it fell back to what it's actually worth in terms of industrial uses etc you wouldn't be happy seeing a 95% or so plunge. Most of the gold price is faith, sentiment and speculation. Bitcoin is the same thing. Now that it has a certain and ever growing following, it's not going to go to zero or even close to zero any more than gold will suddenly collapse to its actual useful value.

BTC has its waves, bubbles, but the long-term log exponential uptrend has been going for years and will not be reversed for the foreseeable future.

It's a fun thing to play with during periods such as these, it is a zero sum game in the end but there are so many bad traders that if you do this for a while the moves become glaringly obvious. The actual stock market is much harder.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Mark-RS wrote:There is no difference to this than regular stocks and shares.
Absolute bollox

A share is part ownership in a listed company, with actual assets and revenue. You can see the full financials of that company, follow news that would impact profits etc, and observe industry trends. There are numerous stock analysts across investment banks doing hours of due diligence on these companies and publishing their findings; going through the financials with a fine tooth comb, visiting factories or offices, speaking to management, comparing to competitors etc etc. There are real cashflows, from actual customers, and audited accounts. Given the scrutiny from regulators and auditors you can also be reasonably (but not completely) comfortable that the company isn’t a fraud.

I buy shares in companies that look undervalued or I can see strong growth. I can back that up with data. I also consider the downside risks and won’t invest where the risk to reward isn’t attractive.

How exactly do you ascertain that bitcoin is just going up? Maybe you have a convincing argument- but I haven’t across one. All I see is the significant downside risks and a massive momentum trade funded by retail investors that don’t really know what they’re buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:30 am

FaisalJ wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Absolute bollox........
sense.jpg

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

Mark-RS
4th Gear

Post by Mark-RS » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:23 pm

FaisalJ wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm
Absolute bollox

A share is part ownership in a listed company, with actual assets and revenue. You can see the full financials of that company, follow news that would impact profits etc, and observe industry trends. There are numerous stock analysts across investment banks doing hours of due diligence on these companies and publishing their findings; going through the financials with a fine tooth comb, visiting factories or offices, speaking to management, comparing to competitors etc etc. There are real cashflows, from actual customers, and audited accounts. Given the scrutiny from regulators and auditors you can also be reasonably (but not completely) comfortable that the company isn’t a fraud.

I buy shares in companies that look undervalued or I can see strong growth. I can back that up with data. I also consider the downside risks and won’t invest where the risk to reward isn’t attractive.

How exactly do you ascertain that bitcoin is just going up? Maybe you have a convincing argument- but I haven’t across one. All I see is the significant downside risks and a massive momentum trade funded by retail investors that don’t really know what they’re buying.

Why do people take things literally here ? Of course I am of the understanding that a Bitcoin is not the "Exact" same thing as a share. And of course I understand that shares are parts of a company and that a Bitcoin is not.

What I meant by being no rel different to shares is that overall, the very basics of both systems is that you buy low and you sell high. Shares go up and down, as does the value of Bitcoin.

Whilst you may not be able to trawl through a business history and make judgements, there are still trends that tend to follow the rise and fall in price of Bitcoin. Not always entirely accurate, but trends are trends and they are pretty damned close.

There are forums, not sure if you are aware, that give a lot of insider information on what may or may not be about to happen. Just the same as I imagine there are for shares on the regular stock exchange. Just as there are for betting and pretty much everything else in life.

Now, you obviously have far less to go on with regard to buying and selling, so in turn the risk is is clearly far greater. But then on the flip side, so are the rewards.

On another note, the one major thing that is currently holding BitCoin back are the transaction fee's which have rocketed through the roof. If/When they can sort this out to make the currency more useable again. This in turn will increase it's price.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm

So what you’re saying is that it’s the same as a share because it has a price, and so you can stare at a chart of that price, and come up with a justification for buying.

I’m a firm believer that most of “charting” is mumbo jumbo.

There is however plenty of literature supporting the idea of momentum trading, and lots of successful investors out there that trade trends. I’ll concede that.

However, in an underdeveloped market like bitcoin - where there still isn’t much shorting or institutional investors, I don’t think you can read much into those trends. Although the futures are trading, barely any of the big hedge funds are able to trade them as the prime brokers are flat out refusing to clear the trades. Their risk departments are not allowing it so far. That situation may change very soon.

And that’s beside the point that the recent trend is down. If the trend following funds (CTA funds) were in the market, you can bet you’re bottom dollar that the short and medium term CTAs would be shorting the <beep> out of the futures.

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Regulation on trading is coming. And in some cases, China has been mentioned, an outright ban on trading.

Central bank regulated crypto will come. And I wouldn’t want bitcoin when that happens.

wantars4
Neutral

Post by wantars4 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:33 pm

well it's certainly corrected some from it's peak......I am going to give it til February, and then chuck a grand or two in.....

Azmontana
Neutral

Post by Azmontana » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 pm

FaisalJ wrote:
Absolute bollox

You do realise all those processes you mentioned took time to implement?

In the years to come people will look back and think how did we ever live without blockchain tech just like we do now with computers, internet, smartphone etc.

Yes there are plenty of scams out there that’s why you have to do your own due diligence as those processes you mentioned don’t exist yet.

You can choose to be an early adopter and in the process likely make a few quid. Or you can sit on the sidelines and talk about in my day they did it this way.

It’s clear that plenty of the naysayers on this thread don’t understand the underlying tech if you did you’d likely have a very different opinion.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm

I think that’s pretty wide of the mark, arrogant and naive.

Do you work with the tech day to day? How well do you actually understand it?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:22 pm

It's all explained here:

don0301
4th Gear

Post by don0301 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:22 pm
It's all explained here: