Photobucket

Off topic chat
bam_bam
Cruising

Photobucket

Post by bam_bam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 am

RANT ON.

So I've been a Photobucket subscriber (ยฃ80 per annum) now for 6 years. It's been getting progressively worse, namely its extremely bloated code causing navigation to become a pig. They've removed a lot of the great features such as tagging and it's impossible to get a meaningful sort order out of your photos. Don't even get me started on the app, whomever is responsible for the app deserves cancer injected directly into their eyeballs. Now, the final straw, they've changed the Ts&Cs on their paid accounts to not allow 3rd party hosting, this means that if you post[ed] your pictures on the forum using the [img] code, they'll block the image(s). To get around this they've added a 'super' account with 3rd party hosting and unlimited bandwidth, you can upgrade to this account for (wait for it...) $399.00USD... per fcuking year! Now, to say that I'm livid wouldn't do the colour purple justice, I'm literally a giant purple Hulk right now I'm so fucken angry. I get what they're doing, this type of super account is for people wanting to host images for money making purposes, ebay, ecty, blogs etc. But our uses are just for sharing photos on an enthusiast forum, this is non-profit sh1t like innit. But Cumbucket have shafted us forum users with this 3rd party hosting wrap up move.
For those of you that think "meh, no biggy, I'll just go to another photo hosting outfit", well you can, of course, but everything you've post on RS246 or other forums with Cumbucket via BBCode image tags will just fail to show, instead there's going to be an image of "Upgrade your account" or sumeshit, so it actually degrades the forum, a lot, it will look pretty shat if you're reading a thread that was previously populated with cool pictures, someones build thread or a step-by-step DYI picture guide, these will all look poo.
Massive frontbottoms of the highest order.

RANT OVER.
No matter where you go, there you are.

daytonamart
5th Gear

Re: Photobucket

Post by daytonamart » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:59 am

yep, already noticed the impact on other forums, makes for poor reading.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 pm

No warning, just boom, fcuk up all of the forums. Cumbucket's response? Just pay up. I cannot see this going well for them. I'd pay the $99USD per year for 3rd party host... but $399!?!? At that price point all they're doing is motivating people to leave. Own goal reeetards.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:15 pm

That's pretty poor

My Flickr pro account just renewed a few days ago for another year; $25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

MrHilario
5th Gear

Post by MrHilario » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:20 pm

I like the cut of your jib Bam :thumbs:

1.4 Fiesta (Silver)
2.8 VW Bora V6 4motion (Blue)
4.2 Audi RS4 B7 Avant (Black)

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:26 pm

I've never paid to use photobucket, just loaded my pics on here as usual. That's kinda fecked it now hasn't it!
Let us know if you find another hoster that works without ditching the pics.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:17 pm

It's almost impossible, Chunk. If you change picture hosts, that's all fine and easy but you'd still need to go back through ALL of your forum posts and update the image links from cumbucket to your new host. Who wants to do that?! This move has single-handedly ruined so many a forum. Also, there is nothing stopping your new photo host doing it again.
It's literally a ransom but the real victims are the forums that used to have vibrant threads with photos or how-tos or whatever, they will all be blighted by an ugly placeholder, with most of the threads becoming meaningless without pictures. You can't just take away rule 1.

Douchebaggery I tell ye.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm

They're taking a lot of abuse on their FB page; I wonder if they'll wise up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:20 pm

FFS! I only ever used the free version but my build threads have gone to <beep> now! Well done cumbucket!

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Bam Bam, you must be pisssed off. I've never seen more than two sentances out of you.
Anyhow, Blitish Telecum is my intertwat provider and Flickr comes free. Nice & straight forward, no big tits adverts noting man. Love it.
:beerchug:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Silverfox42
4th Gear

Post by Silverfox42 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Bam, I will chuck a little dosh your way if it keeps your Friday thread images alive. They are always well researched and informative.
However, whats to stop Cumbucket upping their subscription in 12 months?

Open question: Is there a Sponsor out there who could offer all forum users a place to save images, and undertake to grab every image and save to a new host link?

Prepared to be shot down in flames, but how hard can it be?!

Dan
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am

Silverfox42 wrote: โ†‘
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm
Bam, I will chuck a little dosh your way if it keeps your Friday thread images alive. They are always well researched and informative.

Open question: Is there a Sponsor out there who could offer all forum users a place to save images, and undertake to grab every image and save to a new host link?

Dan
It's not that easy. Someone would need to build a tool that migrates a Cumbucket user account to the new hosting service, ensuring all of the folder structure and the image filenames remain the same. I can't imagine that Cumbucket would allow SDKs for such a tool to be written. Even if it were possible, the forum would need to then deploy a script to update the link for every image that a user had posted. There are a lot of what ifs.
I can think of more elegant solution but it still requires Cumbucket SDK or higher-level access. I can't imagine they'd allow it, helping users move to another service, errrm nope, that doesn't seem like their MO.

World-class dickmove.

skirs6
5th Gear

Post by skirs6 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Sorry may sound a bit thick but why do you need this photo bucket to put pics on this forum?? I just upload from my photo library. Am I missing something. Bam please don't embarrass me in public ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:57 pm

bam_bam wrote: โ†‘
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am
Silverfox42 wrote: โ†‘
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Dan
It's not that easy. Someone would need to build a tool that migrates a Cumbucket user account to the new hosting service, ensuring all of the folder structure and the image filenames remain the same. I can't imagine that Cumbucket would allow SDKs for such a tool to be written. Even if it were possible, the forum would need to then deploy a script to update the link for every image that a user had posted. There are a lot of what ifs.
I can think of more elegant solution but it still requires Cumbucket SDK or higher-level access. I can't imagine they'd allow it, helping users move to another service, errrm nope, that doesn't seem like their MO.

World-class dickmove.
Don't worry, the Friday thread won't die that easily...... :thumbs:
B5 B6 B7 B9

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:15 am

skirs6 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:48 pm
Sorry may sound a bit thick but why do you need this photo bucket to put pics on this forum?? I just upload from my photo library. Am I missing something. Bam please don't embarrass me in public ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Nothing wrong with doing it that way, continue on my son. Some people have multiple forum accounts so you'd have to do that for each forum. It's more elegant to have a central picture repository. Also, the pictures are embedded thus appear boarderless innit.

Return to โ€œOff Topic Chatโ€