Getting rid of my Virginity

Off topic chat
Shoppinit
Cruising

Getting rid of my Virginity

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Just ditched Virgin Media. Speeds are down to 6Mbs at any time other than middle of the night - I pay for 200Mbps. Can't even stream in 1080P.

They are completely over-subscribed and still signing people up. Their forums are full to bursting with people who are in the same boat. They are the new Evil Corps.

C-units.

I'm jumping ship to BT. At least they are governed by Ofcom.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

chunky79
Cruising

Re: Getting rid of my Virginity

Post by chunky79 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Complete opposite for me, superb service here. You live out in the sticks though Shopp.
We've just renewed our contract and got the vip cheaper than what we used to pay for a smaller package.
We constantly pull around 165mbps.
Just had 2 of the V6 boxes too.
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:07 pm

I had a constant 200Mbps for 2 years until a few weeks ago when they suddenly shunted me onto a busier network to try to relieve pressure on another network. Keep an eye on yours, it could happen to you.

V6?
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:15 pm

The virgin box is at the end of my front garden, and we're only 6 miles away from the main hub.
The V6 boxes replace the old TiVo box. They are still TiVo but waaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster.
What router have you got off them?
My mate at work in Longbridge, his speed has just gone up from about 40mbps to over 100 in the last 2 weeks due to an update, I'll tell him to thank you :lol:
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:00 pm

I had Virgin for years, then got a half price deal on Sky TV, got went 50/50 Sky/Virgin on Tv/BB ... TV deal expired, and to get the same deal, had to move BB to Sky

Was apprehensive, as its ultimately BT, which are a pile of poo.

but, been pleasantly surprised

its not quite as fast as Virgin if you did a speed test, but I'd say 95% of the time, I've not experienced any difference ... unless you have 5 people in the house downloading, there is only so much BB you need

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:06 pm

Good to know. :thumbs:

There's a lot of bad press about BT but at least they guarantee their minimum speeds.

Chunk, your mate stole my bandwidth but what goes around comes around. :)

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Shoppinit wrote:Good to know. :thumbs:

There's a lot of bad press about BT but at least they guarantee their minimum speeds.

Chunk, your mate stole my bandwidth but what goes around comes around. :)
He has said to thank you, so, Er, thanks on behalf of my mate.
He lives next door to the guy in charge of Virgins bb in brum. Want his address so you can go round a drop a log through his letter box?
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:23 am

Might just do that. Ta. :)

It's starting to make the press, well, the Daily Mail, if that counts:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -2017.html

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:30 am

I'd heard that some London areas were struggling. I believe it's an easy fix, but it's down to the councils not granting permission for work to be carried out.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:48 am

Nah, it's an over-utilisation fault. Even Virgin admit it eventually when they've made you reboot your router 10 times, reset it to factory settings twice, scheduled an engineer's visit then cancelled it again, and you've threatened to leave. Then they say "There's an over-utilisation fault in your area. There is a review date of [3 months from now]. We will offer you £10 a month off your bill until it's resolved." Then the [3 months from then] comes around and the "review date" is pushed back another 3 months.

If you don't believe me, have a look here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

Thousands of people complaining of unusable internet at peak times.

Some people have been kept hanging on for more than a year waiting for a promised fix. I was in denial for a while, too, but that forum really helped me decide to leave Virgin.

Just for the anecdote, now that I have a BT account I can connect to my neighbours BT wifi while waiting for my installation and even as a parasite I get better speeds than with my Virgin Media broadband.

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm just going on what the engineer said last week.
Makes no odds to me, just done a speed test, 145mbps download and 12mbps upload.
At least you can just look out the windows at the horses and cows.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.

Now - Empty garage

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm

BT installed. It's muuuuuch better. OK, so the headline speed is lower, but it's constant and doesn't drop to single digits at peak times. Even web pages are faster to load. Can stream in 4K again now.

ics3s
1st Gear

Post by ics3s » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:20 pm

1Gbps here for only 30 euros, including HD TV and phone :D :D
RS6 C7 '14
Honda S2000 '03
Infiniti FX 35 '08 (US model)
Lexus IS '06 220d (sold)
Peugeot 206 '01 2.0 Hdi (sold)
VW Touareg 2.5 R5 TDI '03 (sold)
Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 T Spark '99 (first car) (sold)

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Any tips for getting Virgin to double up broad band speed for no price increase? I'm going to try this very soon, plus asking for a superhub 3 to replace my superhub 2, and when I've got something negotiated, right at the very end..... I'm going to ask them to do the same speed for the same price at another house too (will be a new instruction for them). Is that a bit too cheeky? I'm thinking 'if you don't ask, you don't get'

200 mbps is the max with Virgin I think?
B5 B6 B7 B9

Shoppinit
Cruising

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:09 pm

You can get 300 with virgin but I urge you strongly to check with your neighbours if they are getting full speed at peak times. It's no guarantee but at least you'll avoid signing up into an over-subscribed area. Definitely ask them for a deal. They are like Persian rug salesmen.

Return to “Off Topic Chat”