Sky Q - Anyone Got It?

Off topic chat
bam_bam
Cruising

Re: Sky Q - Anyone Got It?

Post by bam_bam » Tue May 03, 2016 4:22 pm

Mesh network? Eff that for hi-rez, especially with a third device hop, woeful bandwidth.
No matter where you go, there you are.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri May 06, 2016 4:25 pm

bam_bam wrote:Mesh network? Eff that for hi-rez, especially with a third device hop, woeful bandwidth.
There is the option to go hard-wired on the mini boxes, but I'm finding they handle HD content fine so far.

Sorted my virgin broadband and remote control issues, so I'm a happy chappy now.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Fri May 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Dumb question but is all the content (4k films whatever) delivered by satelite or broadband? My broadband sucks balls, so would need all content from satelite, anyone know?

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Fri May 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Good question. Both I suspect.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon May 09, 2016 9:53 am

S4WON wrote:Dumb question but is all the content (4k films whatever) delivered by satelite or broadband? My broadband sucks balls, so would need all content from satelite, anyone know?
The live TV on the main box is fed by satellite.

You need broadband for all the on-demand/catchup programs, and also for the mini-boxes to work.

Without broadband, you'll still get HD content to the main box.

No chance of virgin fibre broadband in your area? Or hyperoptic if you're in a flat?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Mon May 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Sadly not. No virgin. Thanks though

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Mon May 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Got mine installed today quick question when switching on the box it always go to top picks which I never noticed when the engineer was demoing the box small annoyance
as I would prefer it to go to a full screen channel
Anyone know if this can be enabled
i have trawled the help pages and the net but found nothing on this
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 am

Just to come full circle on this - Just sent my sky Q equipment back to them today - good riddance!

Back with virgin now.

The main sky q box was great but the 2x mini boxes were a steaming pile of <beep>. Constantly dropping connection to the main Q box, even with a repeater. One of them was only about 3-4m from the main box with one wall in between, but it still couldn’t maintain connection. The repeater went in halfway in-between - and it’d still drop connection! My wi-fi has no problem covering the same distance.

There’s no option for more than one hardwired sky Q box in the house either - you have to use the mini boxes if you want a multi room setup.

So, now I’ve got 2x virgin V6 boxes, with the 3rd TV run off a hdmi splitter from one of the boxes. I just bought an extra bluetooth remote which can control the box from another room (you can pair more than 1 remote to a box).

Much better.

The new boxes are much more snappy than the old virgin equipment I had - and it all works properly! The sky menus were much nicer to look at though - not a big deal. As an added bonus, taking everything through virgin is a good £30/month cheaper (actually £40/month cheaper for the first few months)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:36 am

Odd. My mini box is two floors away and never missed a beat. You can stick a cable in and avoid wireless nonsense too.

Nobby
Top Gear

Post by Nobby » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 am

I'm seriously tempted by Sky Q as just had an extension and I've put a second telly in the kids play/kitchen area. I've already bought HDMI splitter and a NEET HDMI to Cat6 converter to send to wires outside the house and along the wall in some trunking. Plugged all in and the sound isn't working :( Hoping its a problem with the converters and they are sending me a new set.

Ofcourse I could just ring up Sky, do the cancel routine, and suggest its cheaper with Virgin. Then see what they offer me. I did look into just using a HDMI splitter (for upstairs), but routing the cables would mean they had to go outside the house too. Outdoor HDMI cables are pretty expensive - much more expensive than Cat6.
Daytona RS6 Avant
Rule #36 - At least one gear shall be dropped for every tunnel travelled

** NOW AVAILABLE ** C5 RS6 Cambelt Tool kit rental (also fits other models 3.7/4.2 V8 engines)

Return to “Off Topic Chat”