Sky Q - Anyone Got It?

Off topic chat
FaisalJ
Cruising

Sky Q - Anyone Got It?

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:57 am

My virgin TV boxes do my head in. Laggy and annoying to navigate.

Anyone switched/upgraded to Sky Q? How do you find it?

I like the sound of the bluetooth remote (means I can control a box upstairs without annoying IR sender/receivers), and being able to download (some) recorded programs to a tablet so I can watch on my commute. I also generally find sky menus a bit nicer to look at and use.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

doodlebug
Cruising

Re: Sky Q - Anyone Got It?

Post by doodlebug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm curious too. It interests me, though the cost is irksome.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:18 pm

I tried to get it a few weeks ago but it said for new customers only.
And the Bluetooth remote annoys me, it means I can't use my Harmony remote so I will need 2 remotes!

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:20 pm

I use my iPhone/iPad as remote for everything anyway, so new remote will go in the gubbins cupboard.

It's available for everyone, I've already had one incentive offered up, 99 quid off install. Negotiation on the monthly should be possible.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:55 pm

You can't use the ipad remote apps without looking though. I don't like touchscreen remotes, need to be able to feel the buttons.
I'll take a look at their website again. It was only open to new customers at first and all discounts were stated as being for new customers only, so as usual the early adopting long time customers get hit for the big fees.

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:57 pm

You'll be asking for brail next!

Yes, this is why it's irksome, Sky always bend over those who've been coughing up the ££ for years. I find that pretty galling. The recent price increase was enough to make me pick up the phone, didn't take much for them to cough up a discount.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Just tried the website on my phone. It asks if you are existing customer or not, then ask existing customers to log in. Then says there is a problem with my account and I need to phone someone. Can't be bothered to speak to anyone, let alone waiting in a queueing system and even more so if it's a premium number. Why do they make it difficult when i just want to spend money on new toys, not waste my time on the phone and spend my money on phone calls that just end up with me getting annoyed.

How much is it for existing customers?

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:02 pm

FFS! What a ballache.

It was 149 for the install (new LNB, some cable, provision of the boxes - which aren't yours) then 83 quid a month for the rental (movies and sport).

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Yes i just noticed they have gone back to the old 'we own the box and kindly lend it to you' stance of old.

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:14 pm

my issue with the system correct me if im wrong is that you are unable to view this in an other room unless you have the 2nd box
my currant set up is HD + but cabled form the RF out to the other room and connected remotely with the magic eye w
which i prefer as theirs no unsightly box floating around
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Box is tiny and can be hidden away. RF is pretty crap, this will give you full UHD/HD.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Sky aren't the only ones shafting existing customers.

Virgin are telling me if I drop TV service and just keep phone and broadband (200Mbps), they want £49.99/month. New customers get the same for £38.99. I'd be off if another provider could get the same internet speed
Brooner wrote:my issue with the system correct me if im wrong is that you are unable to view this in an other room unless you have the 2nd box
my currant set up is HD + but cabled form the RF out to the other room and connected remotely with the magic eye w
which i prefer as theirs no unsightly box floating around
You could split the HDMI from the box, run one to a HDMI over Cat6 converter --> cat 6 cable to other TV --> Cat 6 to HDMI receiver --> HDMI to the telly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Exten ... ingle+cat6

Or just stick the sky mini box to the back of the telly, that's what I'm considering. As doodlebug says, they're pretty small:
• Dimensions: 232mm x 155mm x 35mm
• Weight: 0.5kg
MikeFish wrote:Then says there is a problem with my account and I need to phone someone. Can't be bothered to speak to anyone
Ran up a massive bill with all that "furious" viewing eh Mike?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:50 pm

I would probably put it behind the tv if there that small as running another cable would be a pain as the walls now have solid insulation
i have a normal coaxial cable running from my sky box to 2nd room so hiding it would be the easier option
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Sky Q getting installed on 2nd May. I'll report back.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

kent_andy
4th Gear

Post by kent_andy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Ive had sky Q since Feb, cant live without it. Ill summarise what i have etc.

so i have 3 boxes, the main one in the kitchen, then 2 other HD boxes, the HD boxes have all the same ability as the bigger one, you can pause, rewind and watch recoridngs etc unlike the sky of old.

All your old boxes are swapped for new ones that sky owns, i.e any problem they fix them free of charge, you never own then, so when you leave you give them back, but that includes the remote, which is touch screen and funky.

All the boxes are now wifi hotspots, so i have abox in my bedroom and the wife and i never used to get very good wifi signal as its the other side of the house to where my Netgear router was, now though, full signal etc.

Apart from the obvious, pause what your watching and carry on watching in the other room, what i do like is that if you change channel and there is a film on, there is an option to rewind to the start of the film, even if you weren't recording that channel.

The extra price bit is scaremongering, my bill went down a fiver a month, only had to shell out 200 for the boxes, and seeing as if anything goes wrong for the lifetime that i have them they will be fixed its a no brainer.

the only negative is getting used to the new menu layout after being used to sky of old. make the move, you wotn regret it!
2020 Range rover Sport SVR Urban
2017 911 991.2 Turbo S
2007 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Gone:-C6 RS6 Saloon - Daytona Grey - ceramics, stage 2, gearbox map, quad tip miltek, pre cat delete and Mrc filters = 753ps + 1052NM

Return to “Off Topic Chat”