Wanted B7 RS4

Cars For Sale / Wanted Only
Julesm
2nd Gear

Wanted B7 RS4

Post by Julesm » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:55 am

Hi All,

I’m helping a friend who is in the market for a B7 RS4. Condition is key supported by strong history, more than happy with Top Indies and not just Dealers. Prefers wing backs and flat bottom steering wheel and colour wise quite open, although Daytona would be good. All the usual issues ideally addressed would be a bonus. Desirable but not a deal breaker, mileage somewhere between 70k-100k and up to 5 owners. His ideal budget is £16k but will be flexible upwards for the right RS4. I appreciate at this budget the car will not a low mileage immaculate example, but the car is being bought to be driven as well as loved.

I just want to say that it’s been a few years since posting on this forum, but it is great to see it is still active, with lots of the old Forum members I can remember (think I joined in 2003!), and importantly lots of great info.

Jules

chive90
Neutral

Re: Wanted B7 RS4

Post by chive90 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:01 pm

I don't mean to sound blunt but 16k is close to being bottom of the market.
70k miles with low owners and good history you're looking into the 20's. If you want this mileage with a lot of the big jobs rectified, you're looking more at mid 20's. You may see the odd sub 100k mileage example around the 16-18k price range but chances are it'll be needing a lot of money pumped into it. I watch the market a lot and they took a dip last Spring/Summer time (typically just as I bought mine!) until about now, and they are starting to rise again.

Depends what your friend wants, whether he wants to enter the market at the low end and spend a lot of money on jobs himself but take it from me, 9 times out of 10, if you buy a 16k car, you'll need 8-10k to pump into it. If you buy a sorted 20-24k car, you'll have far far less issues.

FWIW, there's a sprint blue for sale on FB marketplace at present, 76k miles, 6 or 7 previous owners from memory - very well sorted example, all of the big jobs done, but seller is asking for £28k. You could argue it's 1 or 2k too much, but it's a 26k car all day long IMO.

I looked at loads before I bought mine, dealers, indies, private and the 16-18k cars were almost always the same, completely standard and in need of thousands of pounds worth of jobs. The 70-100k mileage range is typically when all of the issues need sorting if they haven't been fixed already (DRC, Aux rads, Oil cooler, carbon clean, seized exhaust, and so on.

Anyway hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you'd like any more info or advice.

Julesm
2nd Gear

Post by Julesm » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:40 pm

Appreciate the detailed response and good advice.

You may be right, but right now there are quite a few unsold examples on the mix of selling platforms. Either they are all bad examples, they are over priced, or the demand for the car isn’t there to meet the supply. Don’t get me wrong, a great example that is well priced will sell quickly regardless.

I did also mention that for the right car the budget can be moved upwards and that we accept that the car may not be towards the lower mileage stated (70k), nor immaculate. We have our eyes wide open and quite a lot of experience buying and selling great cars over many years, but know that forum advice can be invaluable. It would be nice to find a forum owned car, or be pointed in the right direction by forum members or past / current owners.

How are you finding your RS4?

Thanks again
Jules

chive90
Neutral

Post by chive90 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:52 pm

A bit of everything you've mentioned with regards to the unsold examples. Although you will find that with Autotrader/Pistonheads/eBay (particularly the first two) that the same dealer cars will sit for months. Some of the cars listed on Autotrader today were listed when I was looking for mine 12 months ago, which is crazy really. Not to say you don't see the odd excellent example pop up on these sites, because you do - but they are few and far between.
You sound like you know what you're doing anyway but yes, I would definitely wait for a forum owned car if you can, or at least a private seller that's looked after it.

Yes the RS4 has been everything I expected and more really! I bought an example that had very recently had a carbon clean and stage 2 map running 450bhp so it performs how I wanted the RS4 to perform. Having driven a few standard examples that had never had a carbon clean or map and likely running around the 370bhp mark, the difference was huge.

Best of luck with your search and if you find one and want advice from folk on here before buying then post the ad :) I keep an eye on the market most days so if I come across anything within your friends budget I'll drop you a PM. Is he after saloon, avant or either?

Julesm
2nd Gear

Post by Julesm » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:09 am

Great info again and also good to hear you are enjoying your RS4.

SimonS4MTM
Top Gear

Post by SimonS4MTM » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:18 am

I put mine up for sale yesterday. Here is the link, viewtopic.php?f=63&t=143831

Please let me know if you have any questions.
| RS4 - B7 | Phantom Black | Seit 2017 |
| S4 - B5 | Ebony Black | Seit 2002 |

Julesm
2nd Gear

Post by Julesm » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:32 pm

Car now purchased.

Return to “Cars”