Carbon brake air cooling mod

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 335 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 355 bhp (Plus)
phenyl85
Neutral

Carbon brake air cooling mod

Post by phenyl85 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi guys, I just wanted to show you what I've been up to lately. I've made an carbon air scoop to provide the brakes with more air so they will be cooled better. Mainly the RS3 has this problem, but also the TTRS doesn't have the most perfect OEM brakes (understatement).

In the pictures below you can see what I made for my TTRS. Basically it will fit any RS model and any car with NACA ducts but I designed it on my TTRS.
This mod should prevent brake fluid boiling, pedal fade and drastically reduce pad and rotor wear and occurence of rotor warpage.

The product is 1mm thick and 15mm in height so that there will be no issues with lowered cars and speed bumps. The shape is from wide to small which creates a vortex effect forcing even more air going to the brakes.

Not much later a measurement was done with a heat camera. The right front wheel had a carbon air scoop and the left front wheel didn't.
Two times a emergency brake test was done from 150 km/h to 10 km/h then the car was brought up to 130km/h and for 4 times the car was slowed down to 80km/h in a short period of time.
After this the car was driven for a short while after which the brake temperature was measured.

Conclusion: improvement of 23,6%.

Soon I will repeat this experiment with GiroDisc breaks on my car as I will receive them in a couple of days.

P.S Abovementioned taken into account that the right front rotor will always be hotter as the left one as Audi only produced one kind of rotor (for left and right) so actually the right rotor is going in the wrong direction.

Basically the NACA ducts get enlarged so that more air is being forced to the brakes.

Simulations also have been done which show that a traditional scoop will get almost twice as much air moved then a NACA duct. This fits the RS3, RS4, RS5 and TTRS, other models I haven't checked yet.

If anyone is interested in these just let me know.

Return to “TTRS / TTRS Plus (Mk2 Typ 8J) 2006–2014”