Advise on buying a ttrs

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 335 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 355 bhp (Plus)
noddy r32
Neutral

Advise on buying a ttrs

Post by noddy r32 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi can anyone help decided on buying a ttrs instead of a rs4 b7 just would like to know what to look out for and what options to get many thanks :notworthy:

doodlebug
Cruising

Advise on buying a ttrs

Post by doodlebug » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Can't really help, but can confirm that TT of any description is somewhat ghay.
Last edited by doodlebug on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Player
Top Gear

Re: Advise on buying a ttrs

Post by S4Player » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Yeh unless you take/give it up the arse or cut hair you can't own a TT
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:07 pm

noddy r32 wrote:Hi can anyone help decided on buying a ttrs instead of a rs4 b7 just would like to know what to look out for and what options to get many thanks :notworthy:
Everything you need to know can be found here:

http://www.haircouncil.org.uk/

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 pm

S4WON wrote:
noddy r32 wrote:Hi can anyone help decided on buying a ttrs instead of a rs4 b7 just would like to know what to look out for and what options to get many thanks :notworthy:
Everything you need to know can be found here:

http://www.haircouncil.org.uk/
Ha ha.

PJC
Cruising

Post by PJC » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Sevy changed from an RS4 to a ttrs, DK had two as a company car too.

Might be worth a PM as you wont get much help apart from the above.

noddy r32
Neutral

Post by noddy r32 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Such great advise :bash:

noddy r32
Neutral

Post by noddy r32 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:43 pm

PaulRS4 wrote:Sevy changed from an RS4 to a ttrs, DK had two as a company car too.

Might be worth a PM as you wont get much help apart from the above.
Thankyou :bowdown:

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I had x3

;)

My advice is buy a mint, sorted B7 saloon in Sprint or Misano.

PJC
Cruising

Post by PJC » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Lol so you did I forgot about the one that got rear ended

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi Noddy - as it sounds like you've decided to go for a TTRS rather than a B7 RS4 then there's no point discussing the relative merits of each...although if you are interested these were my thoughts back in April:

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=103436

Another 5 months further into TTRS ownership and my views haven't really changed - if you don't need practicality then the TTRS is a great fun car with a fantastic engine... :-)

As for buying a TTRS, options/spec are of course down to personal choice. In my view the TTRS has to have 19" or 20" wheels - many of the used ones I saw were riding on 18's but they don't make the car look special enough IMO.

Buckets vs standard recaros...if you're likely to need to get people in the back seats at all the standard recaros tilt further forward and allow more room to manouevre, but they still provide plenty of support and are really decent seats. If you're not bothered about getting people in the back then buckets would be a good shout as they are a bit more 'special'.

Options that I think are worth having:
  • Sat Nav - although it's a bit outdated cars without this do seem to be priced a lot lower when it comes to resale
  • Mobile Phone Prep / Bluetooth - worth having in this day & age IMO
  • BOSE - it's not great but is so much better than the standard non-BOSE system
  • Audi Music Interface - gives full iPod connectivity etc which you can control via the steering wheel
  • Rear parking sensors - rear visibility isn't great because of the low driving position etc, so worth their weight in gold for me
  • Sports exhaust - the standard exhaust sound is good but the OEM sports exhaust is even better and I wish my car had this
  • Transmission - my car is manual and although it's a nice short shift gearbox, if I could have afforded the extra few £k for s-tronic then I'd have gone for it as it turns an already quick car into an absolute weapon. So if you can afford it, go s-tronic would be my advice...
What I found is that once you have decided on your preferred spec, you may find you have to wait a long time for the right car to come along...or you might have to compromise. In my case my car was slightly higher mileage than I wanted and it didn't have the sports exhaust, but it ticked all the other boxes for me (including price)...and that was after looking seriously for almost 6 months.

Things to look out for? There's not that many things that seem to consistently be problems with these, apart from the front brakes. There are plenty of reports of badly squeaking front brakes and in quite a few cases warped discs. There is currently a fix (replacement discs/calipers/etc) being provided by Audi, but only to customers who complain to Audi UK. That said, it doesn't affect all cars - mine hasn't suffered with any of these problems so far coming up to 48k miles. It might be worth checking out the brakes in particular on any cars you view though. Only other thing I'd say really is that there are some badly treated TTRS's out there - a few absolute dogs have been mentioned over on the TT forum so you need to be sure you're not buying one that's been abused. If you want peace of mind then go for Audi Approved Used as it'll come with at least 12 months warranty...there's no guarantee that an Approved Used car hasn't been abused but at least you'll have some protection.

Good luck with your search anyway...hope that helps!
2009 Sepang Blue TTRS Coupe
2006 Sprint Blue RS4 Saloon (B7) - Sold but not forgotten
2006 BMW 130i M Sport - Sold
1999 Imola Yellow S3 (Revo Stage 1 265 bhp) - Sold

noddy r32
Neutral

Post by noddy r32 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 am

Hi sevy thankyou so much for you help is there anyway I can chat to you as i can't pm you as the website has issues many thanks Paul.

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 am

Hi Paul,

I've just tried sending you a PM with my email address...it seemed to work so can you check if you've received it...?

Cheers...
2009 Sepang Blue TTRS Coupe
2006 Sprint Blue RS4 Saloon (B7) - Sold but not forgotten
2006 BMW 130i M Sport - Sold
1999 Imola Yellow S3 (Revo Stage 1 265 bhp) - Sold

psg001
3rd Gear

Post by psg001 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm

You don't need to complain to Audi uk to get the brakes changed, just go to your local Audi, they need to look at the car & confirm the squealing brakes, they complete a report then get the brakes. Mine were sorted with minimum hassle.

I've got buckets, Nav, Bluetooth, parking sensors, folding mirrors. Mine is manual. Stage 1 remap is a must!

I had a B7 RS4, great car, enjoyed it for 3 yrs and fancied something different, I've not been disappointed with the TTRS after nearly 2 yrs of ownership and it's still a lot of fun, I have no desire to change it.

Cruise would be handy, need to get it retrofitted, tend to drive faster on the motorway in the TTRS than the RS4 and this would help keep points away.

S-tronic costs a bit more but as stated makes progress even faster. Is it as much fun? Only you can answer that.

I've got some OSIR carbon fibre interior parts (glovebox cover and gear surround) which really finishes the interior off nicely.
Daytona Grey TT RS coupe - Stage 1 400bhp+ :D

Misano Red B7 RS4 Saloon (black optics) Milltek Non-Resonated Valved Exhaust SOLD

noddy r32
Neutral

Post by noddy r32 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:24 pm

psg001 wrote:You don't need to complain to Audi uk to get the brakes changed, just go to your local Audi, they need to look at the car & confirm the squealing brakes, they complete a report then get the brakes. Mine were sorted with minimum hassle.

I've got buckets, Nav, Bluetooth, parking sensors, folding mirrors. Mine is manual. Stage 1 remap is a must!

I had a B7 RS4, great car, enjoyed it for 3 yrs and fancied something different, I've not been disappointed with the TTRS after nearly 2 yrs of ownership and it's still a lot of fun, I have no desire to change it.

Cruise would be handy, need to get it retrofitted, tend to drive faster on the motorway in the TTRS than the RS4 and this would help keep points away.

S-tronic costs a bit more but as stated makes progress even faster. Is it as much fun? Only you can answer that.

I've got some OSIR carbon fibre interior parts (glovebox cover and gear surround) which really finishes the interior off nicely.
Thankyou for your help :bowdown: just got to find a low mileage mint one with one owner if poss

Return to “TTRS / TTRS Plus (Mk2 Typ 8J) 2006–2014”