TTRS ownership - 3 months in...

2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 335 bhp
2.5 I5 20v TFSI - 355 bhp (Plus)
HYFR
Cruising

Re: TTRS ownership - 3 months in...

Post by HYFR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm

I would normally agree Bam, but Whetstone did sort me out a B8 RS 4 for a wkend so can't be too harsh on them
And as bad as they are, they are angels compared to the monkeys with machine guns at chingford-audi

Boggle73
4th Gear

Post by Boggle73 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I dealt with Kris Gowry, he was great really. Give him a shout.
Good luck with your search Bam.
Past - B7 RS4 Cabriolet - Silver - Resonated Valved Milltek
Past - TTRS - Suzuka Grey
Past - RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black

( I know what your all thinking, but I'm not )

gangstarrrrr
2nd Gear

Post by gangstarrrrr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Does any one have experience of servicing at whetstone Audi? Finchley road is 2 mins away from me but I've vowed not to take it there as they lied to me when I was buying my S4 and tried to pull the wool over my eyes.

I think whetstone is part of the same group as Finchley road?

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Yes same group.

I had my RS 4 cab, C6 RS 6 serviced there and had warranty work on my V10 R8.

No issues to speak of.

But, they don't fill me with confidence...mainly because they are an Audi Stealer.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 pm

I've had two very bad experiences with Finchley Audi. They couldn't diag a suspension rattle after two weeks spent with the car, I took it to MRC and within 5mins they'd pinpointed it (helper springs needed a squirt of oil).
Second time around, before leaving on a drive through Spain, I asked them to order and fit plus spec rear discs and new pads. The parts arrived... wrong parts, try again. Second set of parts arrive, again, don't fit, apparently... This is getting closer to departure and I'm still waiting, only for them to tell me that the plus spec discs were the same as standard but these were on a 6 week back order.
I lose my sh1t.
So I question what type of discs turned up in the last two deliveries and they say that the tech was trying to match the rear discs that were on the car (these were phaeton rears with a slight mod). I was very specific in my order but for some reason they fuk around with something completely different!!! Again, I called MRC and got cross-drilled rears fitted the next day, parts ordered from TPS.

The mention of Finchley Audi makes me want to kill a bag of puppies.
No matter where you go, there you are.

MugelloR
3rd Gear

Post by MugelloR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Nice write up on the TTRS ownership sevy...... :beerchug:
einer: Nogaro Blue B6 S4
zwei: Mugello Blue C5 RS6
drei: Magnetite C63 AMG
vier: Ibis White RS5
fünf: Phantom Black B7 RS4 - Currently

Golfather
Cruising

Post by Golfather » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:33 pm

bam_bam wrote:
The mention of Finchley Audi makes me want to kill a bag of puppies.
You don't wanna know about the intelligent folk in Slough Audi then... ;)

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm

klauster wrote:While I do think the RS3 (same as TTRS) engine is great, and I am enjoying my RS3, the RS4 was and is something special, there is not a chance in hell these would end up scoring the same overall!
In your opinion, which of course you're entitled to. I'm curious though - is that based on theory? Apart from the engine, I'm not sure what's common between the RS3 and the TTRS, so unless you've driven a TTRS for a decent length of time, how can you know how good or bad it is? For all you know the TTRS might be loads better than the RS3 and therefore may be closer to the RS4 than you'd expect...or it may be nowhere near as good. In the same way I can't comment on the RS3, as I've never driven one. If you have driven a TTRS however then fair enough...

But at least we agree that the RS3/TTRS engine is great... :D
2009 Sepang Blue TTRS Coupe
2006 Sprint Blue RS4 Saloon (B7) - Sold but not forgotten
2006 BMW 130i M Sport - Sold
1999 Imola Yellow S3 (Revo Stage 1 265 bhp) - Sold

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

sakimano wrote:I don't see how the TTRS interior is better than the Rs4 with buckets. Both are six years old or something, and both suck technology wise. They are very similar even using the same radio. The TTRS wheel is nicer having mfsw functions, but that's it. How the hell is the TTRS getting 8 'manly' points.

I think your review was biased by your bank account to help the TTRS shine since you just paid 40 grand for one. Understandable.

They're awesome little fun cars with a great howling i5. Performance with modest modifications can be pretty amazing.
Cheers for the feedback...don't agree with a couple of your points though. My RS4 was coming up for 7 years old, my TTRS is 3 years old. As I said in my review, the interior of the TT feels more modern & updated than the RS4 (and it should) but admittedly not as much of an advancement as it should have been.

And as for the bank balance comment - big assumption you've made there. I doubt I'll ever be in a position to pay 40k for any car, and I certainly didn't / wouldn't pay that sort of money for the TT.

Agree with your last comment - some minor mods are planned for me once the warranty expires to get the TT over 400bhp for a relatively small outlay...

Oh and there may have been some poetic licence with the 'manliness' score... :wink:

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 pm

___ wrote:LOL, I see the flaming is going well Sevy!!

I think I avoided this flaming for having 3 TTRS's with even gayer 18" wheels because I accepted, as pocket rocket as they are, and do not let's this be underestimated, they are proper proper rapid and will outrun a std B7 under 100mph ... They have many many flaws compared to the epic RS 4!
Yes mate - flaming in full flow but it's all good banter! :D

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Boggle73 wrote:Sevy, were you on M25 near dartford today ?
No it wasn't me Jay - not been anywhere near the M25...

sevy
3rd Gear

Post by sevy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 pm

MugelloR wrote:Nice write up on the TTRS ownership sevy...... :beerchug:
Thanks David - appreciated... :thumbs:

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 am

The key differences dynamically between the TTRS and RS 3 are
- weight (TT is lighter)
- chassis (TT is part aluminium vs. A 20yr old A3 platform)
- quattro bias (A3 was far to FWD bias and chew'd my front tyres in 8k)

All three make the TTRS far better to drive in my opinion and experience
But niether are a B7 RS 4

But that 5pot engine and DSG gearbox...wow!

doodlebug
Cruising

Post by doodlebug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:08 am

Aye, my front tyres are all but goosed. I've not held back though, sooner those Contis are seen off the better.

psg001
3rd Gear

Post by psg001 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm

i've had the TT RS nearly 18 months now, having had the RS4 for just under 3 years. I loved my RS4, it was a terrific car, but they are completely different. using your criteria here are my opinions...

appearance

everyone has their own opinion, the RS4 is a good looking saloon car. I prefer the looks of the TT RS, I think its the better looking car, mine is on the 19 inch rotors. its quite subtle which is fine by me, causes me less hassle from other road users.

interior
both great, RS4 with the carbon interior trim is a very nice place to sit. I've added a few bits of OSIR carbon interior trim and the TT RS feels really special inside. got the bucket seats too. RS4 buckets were electric and heated up to a much hotter level so preferred the RS4 seats. love the snug feel of the TT cabin though, makes it feel more sporty

technology

both pretty similar. TT RS has slightly more updated RNS-E (uses SDHC cards for music which is cool) , but I'd say they are on par with each other. RS4 had a better multicoloured higher resolution DIS which was nicer to look at.

performance

both very quick cars, TT RS with stage 1 edges it. power delivery is different (N/A vs Forced induction), the RS4 on full chat revved to the red line was awesome and quick, the TT RS pulls hard low down and sustains that well. You can make quiet quick progress in the TT RS easier I think

driveability

RS4 was incredible to drive, excellent on all roads, just flowed well on bad road and had a much superior ride.

the TT RS is smaller, lighter, nimbler and definitely easier to slow down and turns in with less body roll / fuss than the RS4. its ride is inferior and very hard, which inspires less confidence when you drive it. but once you get used to it you can be extremely fast in it, you just never feel quite as comfortable in it as the RS4. its mighty fun to drive though, so I dont feel like I am missing out at all.

My wife has driven both and prefers the TT RS, I think she felt the RS4 was more intimidating, it was pretty loud with the non-res milltek (even with the valves closed).

soundtrack

RS4 wins hands down, the 4.2 V8 with the milltek non-res was spine tingling. no-contest

practicality

TT RS does what I need it to do but again, no contest, far less practical all round than the RS4

Economy

TT RS wins here, does high 20's in town and easy to get 33-35 mpg out of it on the motorway. I did 40,000 miles in the RS4 as it was my daily drive and it was a bit annoying how much fuel it used up (i got about 22mpg out of mine on average). the TT RS seems to sip its super unleaded where as the RS4 downed it.

both audi's, so not too good. at least they arent BMW's, that would be worse!

never had any negative comments / experiences in either car. people tend to be very positive about both cars.

summary

both great cars, but completely different and appeals to different people. I got a TT RS because I wanted something different and wanted to get that engine and remap it to stage 1 because it makes it an absolute little ripper.

its massively improved with this. I wouldnt have bought it and kept it stock.

do I miss the RS4? as much as I enjoyed it, I honestly dont.

The TT RS delivers plenty of thrills to keep me very happy and I have no interest in changing it. Sure its not perfect, but neither was the RS4.
Daytona Grey TT RS coupe - Stage 1 400bhp+ :D

Misano Red B7 RS4 Saloon (black optics) Milltek Non-Resonated Valved Exhaust SOLD

Return to “TTRS / TTRS Plus (Mk2 Typ 8J) 2006–2014”