Get out of Jail

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Get out of Jail

Post by stuartbarriskell » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:34 pm

Has this happened to anyone else ?

At a viewing yesterday, parked car in driveway of house, left key fob lying on the passenger seat, finished in 10-15 minutes, viewers left, went to jump into my car to find the doors had locked !... WTF ... fortunately I had left the drivers window down around 3-4 inches, there was a curtain pole in a cupboard, fetched that, fed it through the window and deftly managed to depress the unlock portion of the fob, get out of jail with the open window for sure.

I didnt think the doors would lock with the fob inside, anyone know how that happened..

S
Current stable: B8 RS4.
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
MV Agusta Reparto Corse Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

CusterDome
1st Gear

Re: Get out of Jail

Post by CusterDome » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:48 am

I feel your pain Stuart, but sadly, have no answers. I must admit I don't think I fully understand the keyless entry procedures, I keep meaning to RTFM, but by the time I'm in a position to, I've usually forgot. I've never left the keys in the car before, but I think it might not feel quite right.
One thing I've been caught out with a few times, is as I've walked away from the car I've locked it with the fob control, and see the lights flash out the corner of my eye and taken this as confirmation that it's locked up ok. Returning to the car I've found both front windows 1/3 of the way open. Hmmm, RTFM.

goram
Neutral

Post by goram » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:40 pm

I thought they all came with keyless entry/exit. I think it's a great feature, so was disappointed to discover mine doesn't have it.

Surprised that the car locked itself with your key in it though, wouldn't have thought it should do that?

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:36 am

CusterDome wrote:I feel your pain Stuart, but sadly, have no answers. I must admit I don't think I fully understand the keyless entry procedures, I keep meaning to RTFM, but by the time I'm in a position to, I've usually forgot. I've never left the keys in the car before, but I think it might not feel quite right.
One thing I've been caught out with a few times, is as I've walked away from the car I've locked it with the fob control, and see the lights flash out the corner of my eye and taken this as confirmation that it's locked up ok. Returning to the car, I've found both front windows 1/3 of the way open. Hmmm, RTFM.
It was a potential nightmare averted only by a stroke of good fortune.

Generally, the only luck I have is bad luck, and being that archetypal bloke who stands in dog <beep> and there's a lovely big nail in it too, for a change luck was on my side I'm waiting on the bill coming in, what shape or form has yet to be dealt out to me !...

I really should read the manual...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:40 am

goram wrote:I thought they all came with keyless entry/exit. I think it's a great feature, so was disappointed to discover mine doesn't have it.

Surprised that the car locked itself with your key in it though, wouldn't have thought it should do that?
Same here, man. I did lean in on the passenger seat to get my specs after I'd opened up the house for the viewer. It's possible I suppose to have leant on the fob, not sure how that would have worked tho..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:25 pm

Yea but if the key was in the car I thought it sensed that and wouldn't auto lock.. I've not had two minutes this week to look thru the manual, I'm still second car hunting..I'll actually update that thread..give you all a bit of a laugh
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:29 am

The same thing happened to my B9 when I was going to collect it from the dealer.
Obviously it shouldn’t happen but guess it does. I found when washing the car I would need to put the key indoors as every time you touched the handles it would lock and unlock.
Maybe the car just re locked itself after the 60 seconds of it being unlocked without a door being opened?
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”