B8 RS4 Running Costs & Potential Problems

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Andy2
Neutral

B8 RS4 Running Costs & Potential Problems

Post by Andy2 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 pm

So, running a B5 RS4 for the last 9 years I am well used to the costs required to keep a well maintained RS4 on the road. As B5 values have increased, and with a likely kid on the way at some point soon, I'm tempted to jump ship to a newer car and looking in the classifieds tonight I could probably pick up a lightly used B8 for roughly the same price as I'd sell my B5 for.

But before I start looking, what are the running costs of a B8? Are they likely to be similar to a B5, or on a whole new level? Also what are the common pitfalls and potential problems to look out for with the B8? What sort of stuff needs regular replacement or is prone to heavy wear and/or replacement? Finally, what is the difference between B8 and B8.5?

Cheers :)

Boredofthis
Neutral

Re: B8 RS4 Running Costs & Potential Problems

Post by Boredofthis » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:47 pm

Hi Andy,

I'm just coming up on 1 year of ownership of my 2014 RS4 in Ireland, and I haven't had any surprises really so far touch wood.

I'd start with your last point, B8/8.5 - it's the facelift basically. However the RS4 was only released in the facelift version as B8.5 so that's all there is.
I'm not sure what running costs you are used to with the B5. There's the obvious one which is petrol costs. I'm averaging around 20mpg with mostly short trips. On long steady drives i'd get close to 30mpg but that's with no fun in between :bigblink:
Maintenance long term can be expensive depending on what age the car is, how many miles its covered and what's been done already. Also depends on where you get your servicing done. Lot's of people have issues eventually with the DRC suspension, sometimes it can be fixed, other times needs replacement. I personally have standard suspension so can't comment on that.
Drivetrain oils have specific service intervals - Front final drive 20k Miles, Rear Final Drive + S-Tronic ATF filter/fluid + Diff 40k Miles. Can be expensive if all arrive at once, especially if you service at Audi. Spark plugs at 6 Yrs/60k Miles. Other than that its pretty standard stuff.
If you drive it hard, brakes will obviously wear out quicker. Genuine discs are about £850-900 per axle, plus labour and pads. Expect roughly 2 sets of pads per disc set.
Mine is approaching 75k Miles, gearbox is still on original parts including clutches, no signs of slippage or poor changes so far and drives perfectly. I don't use launch control for this reason.

The only random issue I have had was an engine fault light from cold start. Turned out to be Cam timing actuator in the end. I replaced this myself at a cost of £100 for the part and some time. That's it so far! Best of luck :rocker:
2014 RS4 Avant Ibis White Black Edition on Titanium grey 20" V-Spokes

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Re: B8 RS4 Running Costs & Potential Problems

Post by stuartbarriskell » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:42 pm

Ditto above FWIW, I've had two B7 S4s and a B7 RS..I done 60k on the RS in 3 years and loved every mile.

My B8.5 had only 23k when I bought it 1 month ago from a member on here, now its sitting at 26800 lol.. they are just amazing to drive, go for a well maintained lowest possible mileage one I'd say, that way all things being equal your running costs shouldn't be excessive in the short term.

I picked up a set of OE discs and OE Brembo Pads for 700 off Ebay last week, Audi will be in the region of 1400 supplied and fitted for same.

Don't know if any of this is of any value to you but it's worth keeping an eye out for the odd bargain that pops up.

Get buying !..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Current stable: B8 RS4.
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
MV Agusta Reparto Corse Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”