New Owner....Brake discs and aftermarket warranty

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

New Owner....Brake discs and aftermarket warranty

Post by stuartbarriskell » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm

Guys where is the best place to buy front and rear discs, this is just in anticipation of mine needing replaced in the next 12 months.

And does anyone know what the likely charge is at the dealer..

Had a browse through and couldn't see many posts I could get information from.

Also who has an aftermarket warranty, I've been quoted berween 87 to 156 per month.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited by stuartbarriskell on Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current stable: B8 RS4.
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
MV Agusta Reparto Corse Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

CusterDome
1st Gear

Re: New Owner....Brake discs and aftermarket warranty

Post by CusterDome » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi Stuart,
I've had my B8 for about 3 years now. I didn't take up the offer of an extended warranty, it just seemed too expensive, so far I wouldn't have made any claims so I guess I'm ahead. As far as brakes go, my local Audi dealer replaced the rear discs and pads for around £820, which suggests front and rear would be around £1600. So far I've had all work and servicing carried out at the dealer, and they've been ok, I'll continue to use them for servicing but will most likely check out an indy if any out of service stuff needs doing.

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi CusterDome, that's very encouraging.

My train of thought was do I go for an aftermarket warranty or put my faith in observing every service due (which I would have done anyhow) and keeping the car in the way it was meant. I guess with anything in life it's just your luck how things pan out, so I will keep my money in my pocket and maintain the car as it should and put my faith in German engineering.

This forum has already been very beneficial to me as of this week, with me agreeing to buy a current members car (previously owned by another member). I pick it up hopefully no later than Monday coming and just wanted to get my affairs in order.

I've booked it in for a health check with A for Audi in Clydebank who are a very highly regarded independent garage specializing in Audi, with all Audi trained technicians, I've used them before with my B7 S4 and B7 RS4 Avant, most local owners have no problem with them carrying out their servicing and repairs.

Thanks for the info on the brakes, I was just thinking ahead when I still had some additional cash in my pocket before I blow it on something else.

BTW I had reserved a B8 from Fontain in Iver just prior to an owner offering me his for sale, they reversed my deposit and quite frankly couldn't have been nicer about the whole thing, I found Alex very helpful and completely open, I would have no hesitation in dealing with them in the future.

S
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

CusterDome
1st Gear

Post by CusterDome » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi Stuart,
Yep, your first paragraph just about sums up my approach. Mine's a pretty low mileage car, 30k miles when I bought it, and seems to have been well kept, so I decided to cross my fingers and keep my wallet closed.

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm

I bought my RS3 from Fontain recently and too found Alex to be sound.
Would have no hesitation in recommending/ using them again
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:33 pm

Mav8 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm
I bought my RS3 from Fontain recently and too found Alex to be sound.
Would have no hesitation in recommending/ using them again
Mav8
He was so untypical of a car salesman, I actually ordered him a gift as a thank you, felt it was the least I could do.

I get the impression you buy off them, anything goes wrong they won't run for cover..
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Post by stuartbarriskell » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:40 pm

CusterDome wrote:Hi Stuart,
Yep, your first paragraph just about sums up my approach. Mine's a pretty low mileage car, 30k miles when I bought it, and seems to have been well kept, so I decided to cross my fingers and keep my wallet closed.
I've taken this route, fingers crossed as you say Image

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

goram
Neutral

Post by goram » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:37 pm

I've just bought a 2013 plate, and the previous owner had a new gearbox and a few other bits and pieces under warranty, so I'll probably be buying a used Audi warranty. It's £1600, but the gearbox replacement was almost £10K.........

CusterDome
1st Gear

Post by CusterDome » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:34 pm

Fair enough goram, I can understand that, the prospect of another £10k bill can certainly influence your thinking...

As mentioned above, so far so good for me. I bought mine just a few months before covid kicked off, during which it sat for months in the garage without being used, I'd probably have felt a bit miffed if I was shelling out every month for a warranty to cover a car that wasn't been driven, so I probably got a bit lucky there, in a convoluted sort of way.

I dropped in my local indy the other day, it's a fairly small business and the guy there was busy dismantling a V10. I'll admit I blanched a little...

goram
Neutral

Post by goram » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:17 am

CusterDome wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:34 pm
Fair enough goram, I can understand that, the prospect of another £10k bill can certainly influence your thinking...

As mentioned above, so far so good for me. I bought mine just a few months before covid kicked off, during which it sat for months in the garage without being used, I'd probably have felt a bit miffed if I was shelling out every month for a warranty to cover a car that wasn't been driven, so I probably got a bit lucky there, in a convoluted sort of way.

I dropped in my local indy the other day, it's a fairly small business and the guy there was busy dismantling a V10. I'll admit I blanched a little...
I'm doubting my decision whether to or not now mate :lol:

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:24 pm

My car came with an Audi 5 year warranty purchased by the supplying dealer when ordered. I had a replacement AGM battery in that time. I continued the Audi warranty when it expired - All Component with £250 XS at around £700 pa. Never had to claim on it since the battery, and although its not quite as comprehensive as the 3 / 5 year warranty from new, the peace of mind it gives is worth it for me.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”