Steering Issue?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
peetysmith
Neutral

Steering Issue?

Post by peetysmith » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi All,

I picked up an RS4 in December and have only done a couple of long motorway journeys in it since so I'm not 100% sure this is an issue or not but wanted to sound out on here to see if anyone has seen the same or indeed if this is how it should work.

When getting on a motorway I'll get to 70ish mph and pop ACC on so speed will remain constant. This will mean that the car is in some instances accelerating, e.g. when going up hill or getting back to speed, and will also mean that the car can be not accelerating, e.g. when going down hill. The thing that I've noticed is that sometimes the steering seems to go really light / there seems to be a little give in it with little effort. I will be going around a gradual bend so will be pushing the steering wheel slightly and then all of a sudden it will easily turn without me applying any more pressure. It can be more than a little disconcerting at high speeds.

Anything you've experienced this / have heard of it before or just have any ideas what it may be?

Thanks,
Pete

CusterDome
1st Gear

Re: Steering Issue?

Post by CusterDome » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:34 pm

Hi Pete,
I can't be much help I'm afraid, other than to say I've done mostly motorway/autobahn miles in mine and not noticed anything like this. I think I've only ever used acc on a motorway so any steering input is pretty minimal, - changing lanes and the odd slip road maybe, but I've not noticed any change to the steering feel.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:39 pm

Does it have any other driver aids, such as lane detection, or whatever Audi call it?
My Audi is too old for any such stuff but my Volvo has all those gadgets and it definitely tries to steer you within the lane markings on gradual bends when the system is on AND has detected the lanes. I guess if you didn't know what was going on it would feel weird, but I'm totally used to it.
It's most noticeable if you try to change lanes without blipping the indicators.

peetysmith
Neutral

Post by peetysmith » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:14 am

Thanks for the replies.

@HPSauce
Yes it does have the lane detection but I'm not sure that it is that smart to keep you in the middle of the lane, it's only if you're actually looking like crossing a line that it steps in. I'll turn it off next time and see if that makes a difference!

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri May 13, 2022 4:29 pm

Only just seen this topic, but my immediate thoughts were towards the lane departure system being the cause. I don't like it on mine, and very seldom use it.
At least on our cars, you have to physically activate it, rather than it being an annoying default setting every start up as on newer models, which you then have to deactivate yourself usually when your wondering why the steering has a mind of it own..... :roll:

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”