Buzzing Noise on Idle

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Chrispy7005
Neutral

Buzzing Noise on Idle

Post by Chrispy7005 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi guys,
I've got a noise on my car and is coming from the left front wheel like on tickover. I've tried to attach a movie clip of it but can't add it.
From what I can gather, it might be very similar or same as highlighted in another thread discussed previously.
It sounds like a solenoid resonating when the engine is on tickover, but disappears when revved. Also varies in pitch when the steering is gently rocked.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jamesberry
Neutral

Re: Buzzing Noise on Idle

Post by jamesberry » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:47 pm

Hi,
This sounds similar to an issue I have recently had although I wouldn't have described mine as coming from the wheel. My vehicle developed a distinct resonant buzzing sound almost like an electrical sound that a solenoid might make if driven against a stop continuously. The noise was coming directly from under the transmission tunnel when stationary in any gearbox position at idle, the noise disappeared when increasing the revs from idle. Issue also only happened once drive train was up to temperature.
My local Audi dealership identified the issue to be broken anti vibration pipe clips on the gear box cooling pipework between gearbox and cooling radiator. They fixed under warranty but I don't believe it was a major job to do it and I suspect the clips were cheap. There are some other reports of this issue around the forums so I think it could be a design weakness to watch out for especially if the vehicle has seen prolonged hard driving / drive train vibrations . Hope this helps but quite possibly something completely different as I don't remember any correlation to steering wheel movement.

Chrispy7005
Neutral

Post by Chrispy7005 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:22 pm

Thanks James, that sounds very similar to mine and I'm off to Audi on Saturday for them to have a look at.
When I say coming's from the wheel, I meant from the wheel arch area behind the wheel.
As you rock the steering wheel, the engine revs rise slightly with the extra load, which would have the same effect as raising the revs slightly with the accelerator pedal.
Thanks again for the insight and I'll let you know how I get on at Audi.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:20 am

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=121958

The last post on this topic ^^ is in relation my car, and maybe relevant to this issue. Mine hasn't as yet been resolved, although I've decided to wait now until its next service at Audi.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”