New owner, couple of possible issues High Idle and Flickering interior lights

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Boredofthis
Neutral

New owner, couple of possible issues High Idle and Flickering interior lights

Post by Boredofthis » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:57 pm

Hi all,

Proud owner of a 2014 Ibis white car for the last month. So far I love the car to bits, just fitted new Michelin tyres all round and am getting used to driving the car. Just a couple of things which I don't know if they are normal or an issue.

1st: Sometimes after driving the car I have found the idle sits at a higher than normal level. Normal for me seems to be around 750RPM, but sometimes its around 900-950. I've also had it where its been sitting at the low idle, and just for the love of the sound Ive done a quick few blips on the throttle. Subesequently Idle then sits at higher level until I switch off. Is this normal ie: something to do with cooling etc?

2nd: I noticed at night if I'm sat parked with the engine running, and I blip the throttle the dash/steering wheel backlights dim and then brighten back up again. Never seen this with any car before, could it be an earthing issue, or battery?

Car runs fine, no fault codes etc. Just curious if I may have some gremlins creeping under the surface. Thanks for any advice
2014 RS4 Avant Ibis White Black Edition on Titanium grey 20" V-Spokes

Boredofthis
Neutral

Re: New owner, couple of possible issues High Idle and Flickering interior lights

Post by Boredofthis » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Edit: Oh and I will try and get a video if I can of both issues

Boredofthis
Neutral

Re: New owner, couple of possible issues High Idle and Flickering interior lights

Post by Boredofthis » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:05 pm

[youtube]https://youtu.be/bSaaK_5FH1A[/youtube]
Video of idle changing from low to high. With slow raising revs it settles back to normal. Then with fast blip of throttle it settles at higher value and stays there until engine turned off

c13dnw
Neutral

Post by c13dnw » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:21 pm

Did you ever get the interior lights sorted? I have just bought a 2013 RS4 and have the exact same issue. Blip the throttle and certain illuminated buttons go off and then flash back on.

Boredofthis
Neutral

Post by Boredofthis » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:06 am

Nope. Still does the exact same thing. Never got any worse, and never does it under any other circumstances so I just accept it as a quirk.

I did once have the engine go to a high idle setting after sitting in heavy traffic for a long time, and it returned to normal after some driving. I wonder if the high idle is something to do with battery drain/charge or if its for cooling purposes. As for the lights flickering, I can only assume it might be the alternator regulator struggling to keep up with such a rapid RPM change, or perhaps high load on fuel pump/injectors/other electrical engine related systems that causes a momentary voltage drop.

Either way, it has never caused any problem or left a fault code. I just avoid blipping throttle hard from low idle. If you want to rev it (because it sounds great 😂) I just hit the pedal gently first then it's fine

TheBigFish
Neutral

Post by TheBigFish » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:16 pm

The flickering lights is probably because the previous pwner has put LED bulbs in. Just change the bulbs for the correct type ;-)

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”