Exhaust hack

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
rs4za
Neutral

Exhaust hack

Post by rs4za » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:13 am

Hi guys

Am new here but have been lurking for many years.

I recently bought a 2014 RS4. Absolutely love this car. One thing I did however notice, it's relatively quiet, despite having the sports exhaust package. Coming from a 2011 RS3, I feel the RS4 needs a little more grunt.

I've read multiple topics about clamping off the vacuum lines to the valve system. I have also read that some users just unplug the switch in boot that feeds power to the vacum pump/solenoid. I have done this and the car does sound more lively through the rpm range. This leads me to a few questions.

1. What else does the switch control in the boot? Can it cause any damage to the engine or any other components if it's unplugged long term?

2. If the plug is attached, the car does sound softer across the rpm range, even when I'm in dynamic mode. Do the flaps open and close at certain rpms even when I'm dynamic mode? Or are they open 100% of the time?

Question 2 boogles my mind. If the flaps are open 100% of the time when in dyanimc mode, why does it sound deeper and louder to me if the switch in the boot is unplugged? Might just be my imagination, but I'm certain it's not.

Apologies for the long fisrt post :)

Sent from my SM-N986N using Tapatalk

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Re: Exhaust hack

Post by Scammo1 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:06 pm

Have you checked that your valves are opening properly?
It’s a common problem for them to get stuck shut due to corrosion.

When the car is off both should be in the open position.
They should also move from closed to open when engaging sport mode on gear stick or dynamic mode

Corkys
Neutral

Re: Exhaust hack

Post by Corkys » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:27 am

Even with the original sports exhaust I felt it was to quiet. I am now running a de-res Miltek and it makes a massive difference. No need to turn on sports mode as it always sounds amazing.
2015 RS4- Nogari Blue, with buckets and Milltek
Ariel Atom 4 with carbon Wings😀. But a little bit scary.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”