B8 Buying - modded or stock? Links included

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
EddScott
Neutral

B8 Buying - modded or stock? Links included

Post by EddScott » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:45 am

I've been thinking about a B8 for a while. It will be a daily so not really looking for super low mileage cherished examples. Just want to have owned and enjoyed one for as long as I can put up with the fuel bills! I'll be trading a decently spec'd F31 330D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403148845223 ... %7Ciid%3A1

I've seen this one. Doesn't seem "too" expensive, bit leggy which isn't a big deal personally but it does have a few mods. Would these particular mods be a red flag or a sign that someone has been upgrading as they go?

Are things like engine and gearbox issues common on these? I do have an Impreza and Evo as "toys" so aware of unexpected bills just feel that RS4s don't tend to throw up a cheap bill when they go wrong.

G30001
3rd Gear

Re: B8 Buying - modded or stock? Links included

Post by G30001 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:11 pm

My 2p

That was a loved car with money spent on it you have to ask why it is in a dealer?

My guess gearbox or Catalyst warning signs as it is at the right milage for the Cats to go, both are £4k plus bills!

I could be wrong but someone who loves and values their car does not allow it out or their hands for trade value.

If it is sale or return then that is different as you should be able to speak to the previous owner.

If not I would be careful
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Many owners sell their cars for a variety of reasons - not just because there are faults. Sports and performance cars are more likely to have a few owners - not because they are faulty, but because people want to 'scratch the itch' so to speak, but then come down to earth and realise it isn't all they thought it would be. And who is then likely to buy it and then sell it on - a car dealer, so personally, I cannot agree with the above comments.
Brakes replaced, and Michelin tyres doesn't give the impression the car has not been looked after. It is on 19"rims, which wouldn't be my choice, but it has a pan roof, carbon inlays, advanced key and Alcantara (or whatever the seat trim is called), plus all the other money that has been thrown at it. Certainly not a car that appears to have been negleted, but owners sometimes tire of their cars........and move on. If that is what you are looking at, then the only way is to look at it yourself and do whatever checks you deem necessary to satisfy yourself it is ok.
You could ask the same question as to why any car is for sale at an Audi dealership......

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:12 am

Description says it has DRC sand V3 coil overs- isn’t that a contradiction??

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:54 pm

Whichever spec you end up with there is no denying these are thirsty cars if you run it as a daily. Having said that you would be owning a classic and it’s clear to see that there is still a demand for such a machine.
Unexpected failures seem to be rare so good planned preventative maintenance should capture most issues.
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

EddScott
Neutral

Post by EddScott » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've decided to give that particular one a miss.

There is a RS4 near ish to me that looks a better bet. Full history and extended warranty. I'd be keeping a warranty going for as long as I own the car.

It will be a daily. I think they are still young enough to cope with it.

Other than servicing and fuel, I'll hopefully not have any unexpected bills.

114uyc
2nd Gear

Post by 114uyc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Double check with regards to the extended warranty. I know for sure mine is "not" transferable.

https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty

Above link will let you get a quote

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”