RS4 DRC / Coilovers / Koni CRS performance?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
bristolbaron
Neutral

RS4 DRC / Coilovers / Koni CRS performance?

Post by bristolbaron » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Newbie alert!

This week I picked up my first RS. I took it to a friends garage for him to check out on the ramp and he’s identified an empty shock (which is ironic as it’s no shock to me). The car has H&R springs.

Reading up on the system before and after purchase, it seems my options are:

Replace the shock and have the system bled.
Pro’s: It’s great when it’s all working
Con’s: It’s likely to fail again somewhere else.

Coilovers:
Pro’s: Multiple adjustments, but all lower than standard.
Con’s: High outlay depending on kit, possibly crashy ride.

Koni shocks from CRS:
Pro’s: The cheapest option?
Con’s: No height adjustment.

There may be more to add to the above, but that seems to be the basics. Most info I’ve read has been B7 related.

Whilst the car currently sits very well, it’s pretty low and I have to be very careful getting on the drive. Coilovers seem a bit of a waste as I’d not go any lower than it sits at the moment.

The CRS kit seems to be well regarded by the B7 mob, but I’ve not seen much from B8 owners. This is looking like my preferred option, but it’d be good to get some feedback.

This will be my daily car and I expect to cover at least 10k p/a, with a healthy mix of M4 and Welsh valleys if this is a factor, but definitely no track use!

TIA

Baz

bristolbaron
Neutral

Re: RS4 DRC / Coilovers / Koni CRS performance?

Post by bristolbaron » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:56 pm

Whilst I didn’t receive any response to my original post, I’m back with an update having opted for the CRS Koni kit.

I made the trip up to CRS performance at the end of August, where Steve fitted the new shocks for me. The H&R springs I have currently are the lower option, so I do have choices for a higher ride height if I ever want to.

Fitting all went well and after a few hours I was on my way. Bearing in mind my only experience of DRC was a faulty system, so it could be amazing and I don’t know what I’m missing, the Koni kit is great. I’ve done a few thousand miles now and the cars still doing everything I need it to. I’m not pushing it to the absolute limit, but for day to day driving it’s spot on.

It’s a very wallet friendly solution to DRC worries, and I can’t see I’d have gained anything from coilovers except the option to go even lower which really isn’t necessary for me. All in all it’s a thumbs up from me!
Attachments
A3A542A0-D7D6-4C76-9231-1851CB991998.jpeg

too hot
2nd Gear

Post by too hot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:55 pm

Love the wheels what are they ? Rotiforms ?

bristolbaron
Neutral

Post by bristolbaron » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:02 pm

Cheers! they weren’t my choice, they came with the car, but they’re pretty smart.

Rohana RC7, 20x10”. I fitted the Michelin PS4S to keep things grippy!

Micknova
Neutral

Post by Micknova » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:01 pm

bristolbaron wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:56 pm
Whilst I didn’t receive any response to my original post, I’m back with an update having opted for the CRS Koni kit.

I made the trip up to CRS performance at the end of August, where Steve fitted the new shocks for me. The H&R springs I have currently are the lower option, so I do have choices for a higher ride height if I ever want to.

Fitting all went well and after a few hours I was on my way. Bearing in mind my only experience of DRC was a faulty system, so it could be amazing and I don’t know what I’m missing, the Koni kit is great. I’ve done a few thousand miles now and the cars still doing everything I need it to. I’m not pushing it to the absolute limit, but for day to day driving it’s spot on.

It’s a very wallet friendly solution to DRC worries, and I can’t see I’d have gained anything from coilovers except the option to go even lower which really isn’t necessary for me. All in all it’s a thumbs up from me!
Thanks for this update. I'm also a B8 RS4 owner and have a shock issue. To replace seems stupid money what I've been quoted. Coilovers just rattle a car to it's death as a daily driver so I've been looking at this kit by CRS. It's quite a drive to them for me but money is also a key factor here as I wasn't expecting this and I don't like issues with the car so I need to fix asap but without blowing stupid money

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”