Power-operated tailgate won't close

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Duelsy
Neutral

Power-operated tailgate won't close

Post by Duelsy » Sun May 30, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi all.

Had a problem today which I've not experienced before. Went to close the power-operated tailgate with the button but nothing happens. The button is still lit and you can set the tailgate opening height without issue by holding it down for 5 seconds (tail lights flash to confirm). However it simply won't close. If you manually close it with some gentle pressure, then about halfway down the car takes over and correctly closes it and locks it in position.

Anyone experienced similar? Quite a frustrating issue as I have multiple offers from people to look at the car next week but will obviously need to sort this first before selling.

Done a video showing everything (don't worry, it is filmed in the correct orientation! Ignore the thumbnail):

Excuse the filthy car! Been away for a long weekend and was up and down lots of dirt roads.

Cheers,
Duelsy

Duelsy
Neutral

Re: Power-operated tailgate won't close

Post by Duelsy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:03 am

For anyone wondering in the future - One of the motors had a sensor in it that had failed, therefore the boot constantly thought it was closed. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, these sensors are in a sealed unit and therefore the whole assembly has to be replaced. Fortunately my warranty covered it, so had the master and slave control units replaced free of charge - otherwise you'd be looking at a bill of over a grand (including labour)! Suddenly shutting a boot by hand doesn't seem like that big a deal.

All sorted though. :)

G30001
3rd Gear

Re: Power-operated tailgate won't close

Post by G30001 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:09 pm

Duelsy wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:03 am
For anyone wondering in the future - One of the motors had a sensor in it that had failed, therefore the boot constantly thought it was closed. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, these sensors are in a sealed unit and therefore the whole assembly has to be replaced. Fortunately my warranty covered it, so had the master and slave control units replaced free of charge - otherwise you'd be looking at a bill of over a grand (including labour)! Suddenly shutting a boot by hand doesn't seem like that big a deal.

All sorted though. :)
Got to love Audi for a sealed unit

I lost the electric boot when I changed RS4 but given how many stories of failure I have heard in the past few months (mostly non RS4) with bills ranging from £1,000 to £1,800 I also very much am happy to shut my boot manually.

I also haven't had to climb back out the car once sat in as the boot won't shut itself.
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”