DRC (Yes, another one!)

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
spoonz
1st Gear

DRC (Yes, another one!)

Post by spoonz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:13 pm

Recently acquired a nice well looked after B8, which had £2500 spent on two new DRC shockers (and bits) late last year.

Just over a week into my ownership, the car starts wallowing slightly. Odd. Two days later I begin to hear a clunk from the front left wheel, seems like a spring broken or anti rollbar loose.

Anyway, it will be in the garage tomorrow for my friend to have a look and see if anything obvious is a miss.

My question is, would a broken spring or some other damage that the DRC "detects" movement in cause it to adjust the parameters and result in odd feelings in the ride? Does it work like that?

I will know more tomorrow.

CRSRS
1st Gear

Re: DRC (Yes, another one!)

Post by CRSRS » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:06 am

You would know if Drc has failed. Mine was just in for new shocker and rear pipes. Was knocking really badly over any small bump but handling was all over the place. Felt like you was wallowing from side to side even on smoothest roads. Got it back this week and drives like new.
2007 RS4 Avus avant - now gone
2013 RS3 black - bye bye
2013 B8 RS4 - Sepang, Ceramics, Buckets, Carbon pack, Sports pack, ACC, B&O, privacy. - now gone
2017 C7 PE - Panther, Ceramics, Carbon pack, BO upgrade.

MadMark
2nd Gear

Post by MadMark » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:39 pm

spoonz wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:13 pm
Recently acquired a nice well looked after B8, which had £2500 spent on two new DRC shockers (and bits) late last year.

Just over a week into my ownership, the car starts wallowing slightly. Odd. Two days later I begin to hear a clunk from the front left wheel, seems like a spring broken or anti rollbar loose.

Anyway, it will be in the garage tomorrow for my friend to have a look and see if anything obvious is a miss.

My question is, would a broken spring or some other damage that the DRC "detects" movement in cause it to adjust the parameters and result in odd feelings in the ride? Does it work like that?

I will know more tomorrow.
<beep>! Sorry to hear that ..... :drink:

That's my understanding. As soon as the pressure drops from a leak - it goes all "wallowy" - the noise coming from the system being effectively bled dry.
RS4 B8 - Sepang Blue, Black Leather, Aluminium Pack, 20" V-Spokes.

spoonz
1st Gear

Post by spoonz » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Split hose in rear nearside wheel arch. Hoping its a simple replace, re-charge and off we go

Going in on Weds.

priest
Neutral

Post by priest » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:23 pm

spoonz wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:50 pm
Split hose in rear nearside wheel arch. Hoping its a simple replace, re-charge and off we go

Going in on Weds.
What's the quote on that?...

spoonz
1st Gear

Post by spoonz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 am

£380 inc.

Car recently had both front shocks etc replaced, so front DRC elements in good health. Other rear cable and shockers look OK so its just that for now.

Pottskie
Neutral

Post by Pottskie » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm

spoonz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:53 am
£380 inc.

Car recently had both front shocks etc replaced, so front DRC elements in good health. Other rear cable and shockers look OK so its just that for now.
Not too bad considering... Audi Norwich charged me £615 for O/S/F split pipe and recharge!

spoonz
1st Gear

Post by spoonz » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:14 pm

I spoke to Sheffield Audi (Previous car was a B9 S5 which they serviced and were truly and utterly dreadful at that)

Him. "Well the cable is £500"
Him. "But you will probably need the steel cable as well, thats another £600"
Him. "...and I'd expect a shocker at £700 as once you start to take these older cars to bits you find other things"
Me. "OK then, thanks, bye"

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Is there a recommended mileage to change DRC oil?
Don’t think it’s part of the 40k gearbox and diff changes

Rugslasher
1st Gear

Post by Rugslasher » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:48 pm

spoonz wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:14 pm
I spoke to Sheffield Audi (Previous car was a B9 S5 which they serviced and were truly and utterly dreadful at that)

Him. "Well the cable is £500"
Him. "But you will probably need the steel cable as well, thats another £600"
Him. "...and I'd expect a shocker at £700 as once you start to take these older cars to bits you find other things"
Me. "OK then, thanks, bye"
I purchased a front pipe from Sheffield Audi then went to the service desk to book DRC recharge & the lady stuttered & made a few calls to then take my number to get back to me as she didn’t know what DRC was 🤯 left them a nice email on the customer service site to then get a call from her with price & to book in on which I declined & told them I’m booked in with a garage that knows Audi’s 😂

spoonz
1st Gear

Post by spoonz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:49 am

I could spend hours.

3 times my S5 went to them, as it was a condition of the lease.

Each time the service, knowledge, pricing was beyond terrible. Laughable.

Each time they asked for feedback online, which I gave in a constructive manner. No response. Ever.
Each time they call for feedback. which I gave in a constructive manner. No response. Ever.

Its a monopoly, no other dealer within a 40 mile radius. I guess this is why leases can be cheap, because they have you on service costs down the line.

Anyway the RS4 will be going to Autotechnica(Hull) or German Autocentre(Sheffield) from here on in.

Rugslasher
1st Gear

Post by Rugslasher » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:03 pm

spoonz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:49 am
I could spend hours.

3 times my S5 went to them, as it was a condition of the lease.

Each time the service, knowledge, pricing was beyond terrible. Laughable.

Each time they asked for feedback online, which I gave in a constructive manner. No response. Ever.
Each time they call for feedback. which I gave in a constructive manner. No response. Ever.

Its a monopoly, no other dealer within a 40 mile radius. I guess this is why leases can be cheap, because they have you on service costs down the line.

Anyway the RS4 will be going to Autotechnica(Hull) or German Autocentre(Sheffield) from here on in.
Yes that’s where I ended up autotechica in Hull bit of a trek but seem to know what they’re doing, I had all gearbox & diff oils done too @ 30% cheaper than Audi & all genuine parts

spoonz
1st Gear

Post by spoonz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:44 am

Its a luxury but anyvan.com will transport mine there from Sheffield for £139 each way.

To be honest, for any major work, its a premium im prepared to pay.

spoonz
1st Gear

Post by spoonz » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:35 am

Quick update for anyone interested as I am sure someone will be searching in future.

Rear Nearside DRC flex pipe replaced at a cost of £380 inc a re-charge of system. All other pipes/shockers checked and fine. My car has 69k and has had two new shockers at 67k, rears still OK for now.

Car is still at Autotechnica, I have decided to have the next service done early, needs Oil and Final Drive which was due in 40 days.

A strange sensation having the DRC fail. My advise to any new owner is that if you car starts to wallow, feel like it has the handling of a cross channel ferry, or just starts to make you feel sea sick, stop the car. :thumb:

CRSRS
1st Gear

Post by CRSRS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:19 pm

380 pretty good price, the pipes are over 200 each. Does anyone know if the shocker at the front comes with pipes? Guy at audi told me they did.
2007 RS4 Avus avant - now gone
2013 RS3 black - bye bye
2013 B8 RS4 - Sepang, Ceramics, Buckets, Carbon pack, Sports pack, ACC, B&O, privacy. - now gone
2017 C7 PE - Panther, Ceramics, Carbon pack, BO upgrade.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”