Diff and Gearbox Oil changes? Timeout or Miles?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
MadMark
2nd Gear

Diff and Gearbox Oil changes? Timeout or Miles?

Post by MadMark » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:54 am

Can anyone advise when the diff and gearbox oils need to be changed on the Audi service schedule? I gather the B7 was meant to be "sealed for life" but this proved unwise and I wondered if this was changed for the B8?

The reason I ask is that Fontain (in that video), suggest the front diff needs doing at 20k miles and the DSG / Centre and Rear diffs at 40k miles - but is there an override for age? i.e. If your car is 6 years old but hasn't hit 40k miles - would all of these need doing anyway? :kissmyrings:
RS4 B8 - Sepang Blue, Black Leather, Aluminium Pack, 20" V-Spokes.

miatang
3rd Gear

Re: Diff and Gearbox Oil changes? Timeout or Miles?

Post by miatang » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:55 am

First post of this thread pretty much covers everything

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=126617

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:07 pm

If you can’t find a record of them being done best to change I would think
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

MadMark
2nd Gear

Post by MadMark » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:33 pm

Both - very useful thanks!

As an aside - I didn't realise how much work needs doing at the 6 year point - no wonder people chop them in when you've got:
1. An inspection plus oil change.
2. Spark plug change.
3. DRC Oil change and re-pressurisation.
4. Brake fluid change.
5. Coolant change.
6. Aircon service.
7. Any mileage appropriate transmission oil changes (front diff, DSG, Centre Diff and rear diff).

Lots of £'s?

CusterDome
1st Gear

Post by CusterDome » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Yeh, it can be a bit hard on the wallet. I think the advice is always going to be 'whichever's soonest'...
That was my position last year, but managed to split it over several visits to the dealer, which softened the blow a bit. What with the lockdowns, I probably did less than 2k miles last year, so dread to think how much that worked out at £/mile. The dealer accidentally carried out a 150 point vehicle prep check, so I got that FOC, which was at least good for morale, and a worthwhile doc to keep with the service history.

hindsight
1st Gear

Post by hindsight » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:40 pm

MadMark wrote:Both - very useful thanks!

As an aside - I didn't realise how much work needs doing at the 6 year point - no wonder people chop them in when you've got:
1. An inspection plus oil change.
2. Spark plug change.
3. DRC Oil change and re-pressurisation.
4. Brake fluid change.
5. Coolant change.
6. Aircon service.
7. Any mileage appropriate transmission oil changes (front diff, DSG, Centre Diff and rear diff).

Lots of £'s?
The extra items on the 'good practice / reccomended' list seem pretty sensible but I'm not sure Audi dealers consistently propose them. Don't think air con has ever been done on my car or any other car I've had and has always blown ice cold.

DRC oil change is interesting too. Some folk say leave alone unless there is an issue but you'd think changing oil would be a good idea. Any other views / experiences on this. Given the system is expensive if it goes wrong I'm happy to do whatever is 'best'.

My car is just over 6 years old and I had a call from audi to book an MOT next month and they mentioned the brake fluid which is due in april but didn't mention DRC or air con hence wondering if these are essential or discretionary.

Good to hear from others on their experience/ advice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:07 pm

Get the Brake fluid checked after.

I had mine done during a service when I first bought the car (I do full fluid change on all cars) then had an inspection done by my favourite Indy (Auth Audi) he checked the brake fluid and it was old.

Took it back and Audi denied it even when presented with the results and then changed it reluctantly as "goodwill"

Marshall in Sydenham if you want to avoid it.
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

CusterDome
1st Gear

Post by CusterDome » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 pm

I changed all that the dealer recommended, - they didn't mention aircon or DRC fluid changes, just about every other fluid though which quickly adds up, plus air and pollen filters.

MadMark
2nd Gear

Post by MadMark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am

Ok - thanks for the advice guys :drink: - just pricing all of this up .... :drink:

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”