Annual service - ‘Investigate an Issue’

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
GMC86
Neutral

Annual service - ‘Investigate an Issue’

Post by GMC86 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi all,

Annual service is due next month (1st one in my ownership) and yesterday I had a ‘suspension fault’ warning on the dash.

Just had a look at the online booking process for the service and there’s an option for ‘investigate an issue with my car’ for a £60 fee.

If I don’t pay the fee will this not be looked at or is it something that would be included in the free health check?

I took out named component extended warranty when I purchased the car last august. Will this impact whether I need to pay the £60 or not?

I’ve read about the potential issues with DRC, is it likely to be an issue with that or would that generate a specific DRC warning?

Car was MOT’d in November and nothing highlighted then, has done very little mileage since.

Outtlaw
5th Gear

Re: Annual service - ‘Investigate an Issue’

Post by Outtlaw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:07 pm

The £60 is to diagnose the fault which should then be taken off the bill if you chose to have the work completed by them.
Even if its showing a warning light on the dash you can still guaranty that Audi will want to charge you for the diagnosis!

A weeping shock on the DRC can in time just fail even if you haven't driven the car.

If the suspension DRC is covered in the warranty then they will just replace the failed part and you shouldn't pay for anything apart from your excess.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 am

I had a 'suspension fault' warning come up about 14 months ago. I did put the info about the findings on here - but same as others have confirmed, it was down to low battery voltage, which probably is the cause of your fault as you stated the car has had little use recently.
When the car detects low battery voltage it shuts down some vehicle systems, in my case suspension related and then it registers it as a fault with the dash warning.
Some argue it isn't necessary, but with AGM battery replacements on our cars, the battery has to be programmed to the car otherwise not all the electrical systems on the car will function correctly.
Fortunately with mine, the car was under the manufacturers 5 year 90k extended warranty so the replacement battery and programming was done by Audi under the warranty.
May be a bit different with a used car warranty - hopefully some 'goodwill' could be applied by the dealer where purchased from, especially if they want to keep your business for any subsequent work?
The original batteries on our cars can be at least 5 / 6 years old now or older, and possible extended periods of inactivity recently during lockdown periods will not have helped battery longevity if not looked after correctly.
Search dash warning lights and you should find further info 're this.

miatang
3rd Gear

Post by miatang » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:53 pm

Same fault come up on mine couple years ago. Connected car to a Ctek charger and never came up again

GMC86
Neutral

Post by GMC86 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I did worry about the battery going low from the little use coupled with the low temperatures we have had recently.

I’m in work for the next 3 weeks at least and that is 20miles each way so will use it to get some charge and temperature into it.

I have a small CTEK for the bike but it might be at its limit with the Audi battery, I’ll give it a shot though. Hopefully will get it cleared and avoid the £60!

Thanks again

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:47 am

I'm sure you are aware, but make sure your Ctek is on the AGM setting to charge your battery!

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:15 am

johnnydog wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:47 am
I'm sure you are aware, but make sure your Ctek is on the AGM setting to charge your battery!
Assuming you have an AGM battery...
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:20 pm

Shouldn't all B8 RS4's have an AGM battery as original equipment?

miatang
3rd Gear

Post by miatang » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:00 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:20 pm
Shouldn't all B8 RS4's have an AGM battery as original equipment?
Is this right? Ive not been using the AGM mode on my Ctek

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm

When I get to the invoice for the replacement Audi battery, the part no. of the battery supplied should be on it, which should positively confirm the type. Alternatively, if the snow / rain clears soon, I can physically check it for the part no.
Audi told me at the time, the replacement RS4 battery was an AGM type, which I have no reason to doubt.

miatang
3rd Gear

Post by miatang » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:45 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm
When I get to the invoice for the replacement Audi battery, the part no. of the battery supplied should be on it, which should positively confirm the type. Alternatively, if the snow / rain clears soon, I can physically check it for the part no.
Audi told me at the time, the replacement RS4 battery was an AGM type, which I have no reason to doubt.
If you remember post up your findings. Need to change the mode on the Ctek if thats the case

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Don’t think mine is! It has Pb on it with no obvious AGM labelling.
AGM are most commonly used on (newer) stop start technology but I am aware of their use when the battery is placed in the passenger compartment.
I have always used Tanya for my battery requirements and the only show lead acid iirc, so I will continue to charge mine as ‘normal’.
The answer is to lift the boot floor and double check so we can get some kind of a survey going!
2014 RS4 B8

GMC86
Neutral

Post by GMC86 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:14 pm

Just checked and mine had an OEM replacement battery fitted.
The attached booklet states ‘issued may 2016’ so it has to be a replacement but it doesn’t say anything about being and AGM battery, only ‘lead-calcium starter battery’.

Top of the battery has part number 000915105DL, a quick google of that shows some posts stating it is not AGM, so I’ve just used the standard program on the CTEK.

Do you guys use the reconditioning program periodically too?

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm

GMC86 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:14 pm
Do you guys use the reconditioning program periodically too?
No! I just leave it connected to do it’s thing
2014 RS4 B8

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 pm

When you charge your batteries do you connect the charger under the bonnet or directly on the battery in the boot?

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”