Annual service - ‘Investigate an Issue’

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
johnnydog
3rd Gear

Re: Annual service - ‘Investigate an Issue’

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:50 am

No need to fit the charger leads on the battery directly and it's not recommended method - there are designated terminals under the bonnet. The positive post is under a hinged lid beneath the removable flap in the centre of the scuttle, and the negative is the post on its own by the bulkhead towards the left hand side of the car (your right side looking under the bonnet from the front of the car).

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 am

I have made up a lead that connects to the fuse block/jump terminal under the inspection hatch in the scuttle panel. There is enough space in the engine bay for the charger do you can close the bonnet.
Seems easier than the boot!
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

miatang
3rd Gear

Post by miatang » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 am

I reverse mine into the garage so connect directly to the battery in the boot. But as others have said there are connection underneath the bonnet.
Scammo1 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 pm
When you charge your batteries do you connect the charger under the bonnet or directly on the battery in the boot?

MadMark
2nd Gear

Post by MadMark » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:45 pm

Scammo1 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 pm
When you charge your batteries do you connect the charger under the bonnet or directly on the battery in the boot?
Good question - but I would have thought in the boot for safety. You can trickle charge via cigarette lighters, but at 105Ah - I would have thought this battery too big to do that. You could probably start a truck with it....
RS4 B8 - Sepang Blue, Black Leather, Aluminium Pack, 20" V-Spokes.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:56 pm

The designated positive / negative posts under the bonnet are for jump starting (hopefully never needed for that) but also for battery charging. It is also recommended that the negative lead of the charger is connected to an earth away from the battery itself. It's also a lot simpler and quicker using the under bonnet posts. That's what they were designed for.....

Scammo1
2nd Gear

Post by Scammo1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:29 pm

Makes sense.
Hopefully will never need to charge it but good to know how as I sometimes leave it over a week without driving.

GMC86
Neutral

Post by GMC86 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:33 pm

I’ve had the battery on charge twice now and the light is still on. My uncle has his own independent garage and couldn’t clear the suspension fault with his snap on reader.

Looks like I’ll have to stump up for the dealer to have a look at it when it’s serviced.

Just out of interest, is there any reason not to use the reconditioning function of the CTEK before taking it in to Audi?

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Do all Ctek models have this? Not sure but I think mine does it automatically after a set period. Tbh if that’s the only way of getting it to function I would have thought it was caput?
Maybe budget for a new one
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

GMC86
Neutral

Post by GMC86 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:43 pm

I’m not sure about the different CTEK models I’m afraid.

I know what you’re saying about budgeting for a new battery but the reconditioning functions are supposed to be effective so worth a try if it will prolong the life of the battery.

I’ve read that it is recommended that the battery is disconnected from the car in case the higher voltages affect the cars electrical components, although the max voltage is below 16V that CTEK say most electrical systems can cope with.
Has anyone reconditioned the battery whilst still connected to the car?
Will disconnecting the battery cause issues? (I’m not up to speed on battery recoding, is this only if you’re actually replacing the battery?)

I’ve been connecting the leads directly to the battery terminals rather than the under bonnet extensions.

MadMark
2nd Gear

Post by MadMark » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:09 pm

Rusty Racer wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:40 pm
Do all Ctek models have this? Not sure but I think mine does it automatically after a set period. Tbh if that’s the only way of getting it to function I would have thought it was caput?
Maybe budget for a new one
Mine does the conditioning mode automatically after it has fully charged the battery. Then it goes into trickle charge of "maintenance" mode. There is also a frost setting too - but I've never used it!
RS4 B8 - Sepang Blue, Black Leather, Aluminium Pack, 20" V-Spokes.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”