Emissions light due to lack of use?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Beejayhay
Neutral

Emissions light due to lack of use?

Post by Beejayhay » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:46 pm

My emissions light came on few weeks ago and it was obviously misfiring at startup. Mechanic did VCDS and replaced Cyl No 1 coil pack. However its still coming on intermittently at start up, so spoke to him again and he thinks its a combination of lack of use (short frequent trips due to lockdown) and the fact the V8 gets a dump of fuel at the start up. Also, that its sat outside on drive during this wet snowy winter I've had - so dampness I guess in engine bay - again no long runs to build up heat in there.
Tbh I took if for an 'italian tune' ;) last weekend and it did seem to cure it for a couple of days......but its still intermittent (but always only on start up)

I can't see any connection but this has also started just after i my non-res downpipes fitted ??

Any thoughts? Anyone else have similar problem?

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Re: Emissions light due to lack of use?

Post by Rusty Racer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:43 pm

In theory the car should be able to cope with limited use and short runs but clearly to keep it in tip top condition you should be ensuring it’s had a good long run out before shutting it down. Remember it’s Doctors orders to use the full rev range at least one per trip!!
So my feeling is you might have an issue with a lamba sensor either pre cat or post cat. I’m guessing we have 4 in total but tbh haven’t checked yet. If you have access to VCDS you can check these blocks. Unfortunately the lambas are a service item so not a lifetime product.
I had this previously on another Audi and chased a misfire until the sensor failed. Low mpg might be an indicator too.
Hope you get it sorted
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”