Multiple dash warning lights???

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Jay376
Neutral

Multiple dash warning lights???

Post by Jay376 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:08 am

Morning everyone, so yesterday when i fired up the motor from cold i ended up with multiple warning lights that stayed on...
Green rear diff light
Green TPMS light
Yellow low tire pressure light
Orange stability control - on permanently
Orange ABS light
Yellow electro mech park brake light fault
Yellow adaptive headlight fault( with 90 degree arrow)

After making a couple of short journeys each time switching the ignition off the faults remained when the car is started again
The only thing i did was check the tyre pressures - fronts 43 rears where 40, seemed high to me so i changed them to 38 front 35 rears, when i started the car agin all lights were still on but they all went off shortly after driving.

Has anyone who has experienced anything similar?

Thanks

RS4GCI
Neutral

Re: Multiple dash warning lights???

Post by RS4GCI » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Bit of a guess but it could be your battery failing. Heard of a similar problem on a B7 and it was down to low voltage in the battery. You’ll need to plug it in to get the full answer.
Panther Black RS4 B8

Jay376
Neutral

Post by Jay376 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info buddy I'll check the voltage next time I'm home, now that you say that i do recall the car being slightly hesitant on starting up the day i collected it from the garage, just put it down to being stood for a while, it's always fired up straight away ever since but will check it over ...cheers 👍

Jay376
Neutral

Post by Jay376 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:56 am

RS4GCI wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:11 pm
Bit of a guess but it could be your battery failing. Heard of a similar problem on a B7 and it was down to low voltage in the battery. You’ll need to plug it in to get the full answer.

So I've had the car back in the garage as i still keep getting all these lights, i am still waiting on the cam shaft sensor to arrive and be fitted but the garage kindly ran another diagnostics free of charge to see about all these other fault lights, as a result the tech said the battery could be at fault or even the alternator as when the car was running it was only charging at around 13.5 volts.
He suggested i replace the battery and see if that sorts it out if not try the alternator next under warranty. He did say its not just a case of changing the battery like in older cars, it will need reprogramming too.

So looking at batteries quite a lot only come with a start/stop option which as far as i know my 2013 b8 does not have...or am i mistaken??
Can anyone point me in the direction of the correct battery please ?

Thanks

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:02 pm

I had a sudden suspension warning light come on after an initial start up which then disappeared after I immediately switched off and then restarted.
Took it to Audi who stated the battery was on its way out with low voltage. The car shuts down some systems if it detects a low battery voltage, hence the warning lights.
Fortunately, my car had a manufacturers 5 year warranty which covered the new battery and also the programming of the new battery to the car. If this isn't done apparently some electrical components don't function correctly.
Our cars have an AGM battery (Absorbent Glass Mat) which don't take very kindly to long periods of inactivity / low voltage, which could be the cause of some issues if a car has been parked up due to the current pandemic and the battery allowed to get low without charging with an AGM capable smart charger.

Jay376
Neutral

Post by Jay376 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Yeah my car does sit at home all week without use as i work away and only drive it on a weekend really, i have just had 2 weeks off where it was used every day and not any issues with the warning lights i will probably have to get mrs tofire it up for a bit through the week i think

CusterDome
1st Gear

Post by CusterDome » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:00 pm

The battery thing is quite interesting. I'm not too sure what to make of the replace/reprogram procedure. Can the reprogramming be a big deal, does the mechanic not disconnect the battery before doing any/most work on the car? I can understand how it's probably necessary, but maybe Audi make a big deal of it, so that it's an extra job they can charge for? I might be being a bit too cynical...
My B8 stood for a long time after lockdown came in, and after a while I used the time off work to take it to the local dealer to keep up to date with a few oil changes. They pointed out that the battery output was down, also 13.5V, and that I may need a new one, but just to keep an eye on it for the time being. No warning lights have lit up. So far so good.
I've got a CTEK trickle charger I use for a classic I have in the garage, I didn't realise that should I want to do the same with the B8, I'd need one suitable for an AGM battery (thanks for the info). It doesn't seem like a bad idea, does anyone have any recommendations

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 am

I have a Ctek 7.0 smart charger, which the same used by my local Audi dealership on cars in the showroom with their drl lights on for 'effect', which has a AGM setting. I trickle charge mine if it has stood for two to three weeks, although it isnt locked so there is no drain from the alarm.
Disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting the same battery after some work, is totally different than fitting a different replacement battery, which does require programming to the car, otherwise some electrical systems (don't ask me which...) apparantly don't function correctly.
I also have a Ring smart charger that I use on a classic, but that also has a AGM / Stop Start setting. Ctek are supposed to be up there with the best of chargers though.

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Was there a solution to this, new battery?

I've been away for a month with all this pandemic fun, started the car yesterday and it was a rave party of warning lights. Exactly the same as original post so pretty sure it's battery related.

I've charged it overnight with a optimate, reset the codes using the obd2 but can't clear around 10 errors as they instantly come back on.

Dash still showing as per original post.

Car starts and drives fine...

Cheers

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:12 am

After being on optimate overnight, and starting once, Voltage is 12.3, which should be high enough to avoid issues I'd have thought?

During start up it dips to 10.9/11v minimum, again I'd have though that was fine.

Alternator looks ok, charging at 14.3ish v whilst running...

Audi just quoted £340 to fit a new battery otherwise I'd have thought about changing it anyway, but that's a bit steep if not required! Won't be paying stealer prices anyway!

Jay376
Neutral

Post by Jay376 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:26 am

Wideboy i was quoted roughly the same so for now as the car still runs fine im just rolling with it, im looking at buying a trickle charger for it to see if that helps but not sure if the battery is damaged beyond the point where charging won't bring it back it's full capacity

Jay376
Neutral

Post by Jay376 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:22 pm

The car was in the garage last week to get a crank shaft sensor replaced and did run another diagnostics and it showed up a front abs sensor fault too which i suppose could be throwing up the other faults to perhaps, i have just tested my battery and is showing 12.42v without the ignition on which i believe is fine so im a little confused again now

Cherub77
Neutral

Post by Cherub77 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Had exactly the same fault lights in my girlfriends tiguan and it was an intermittent fault in an ABS sensor. My money is on that!

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Hmmmm

Seems my battery won't charge to above 12.3v, either by driving or with the optimate, which for a normal battery is fine, but for an agm battery looks to be around 50%...

Have a warranty which will cover an abs sensor, but not the fault finding if it turns out to be the battery. 6 yrs old so may just have to suck it up and change that as guess it will need done sooner or later anyway.

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:51 pm

Load tester shows good CCA too at 850

But even my parking sensors are out, surely that's not connected to ABS?!

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”