Audi Extended warranty - any experiences or advice?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 pm

I have a 2015 B8 with only 14,000 miles, full Audi Service History, which was specc'd with a Audi 5 year extended warranty from new.
I have had a few minor issues sorted under warranty, but nothing major. The front shocks were replaced about 3 years ago with the uprated version.
As the 5 year Audi warranty is coming to an end next month, I would be interested to know others experiences of extending the 5 year warranty with the 'all component' policy and the costs to take it out, of whether the price is 'negotiable' or cast in stone?
Is it better via Audi UK, or via the dealer who has looked after it from new?
Is it worth it full stop?
Any views or thoughts about this, and the best way to get quotes would be greatly appreciated.

RS4GCI
Neutral

Re: Audi Extended warranty - any experiences or advice?

Post by RS4GCI » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:30 pm

I would renew with Audi UK before it expires as you will generally get a good deal. If you have a break after expiry and then try and renew they will double the price.
Panther Black RS4 B8

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Audi UK will likely contact you 1 month prior to expiry with a quote in the 600-1000 region.

Mine only had the 3 year warranty - nothing needed major as yet, but for piece of mind, I wouldn’t be without it.
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes. Period, full stop. Do it!!
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:17 am

No brainier mate, I’ve seen these cars go through gearboxes, drc, a few cases of new engines required. Do it.

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:19 am

I kept extending my warranty until i sold the car just for piece of mind for the above reasons
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:45 pm

As yet, I have not had any contact from Audi re extending my 5 year 90k manufacturers warranty which is up at the end of January 2020.
Rang Audi Customer Services today, who wouldn't entertain me speaking to them direct about extending my warranty, stating I had to go to their website.
Visited their site - All component with £0 XS - £2037, £250 XS - £1292. Named component with £0 XS - £1415, £250 XS - £919.
Seems a bit steep to me, especially for a very low mileage car that flew through its MOT today at Audi with no advisories. The details required on the site are so minimal, it makes me question whether their auto quote system recognises that my car is still under the manufacturers warranty?
Perhaps try them again and see if I can speak to a more helpful member of staff.
After all, potentially (assuming that my car isn't problematic all of a sudden after its 5th birthday!) they will be making money out of me.
Am I being unrealistic thinking these figures are a bit steep?

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:58 pm

That is savage i was 600 ish each time i renewed
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

MJ_RS4
Neutral

Post by MJ_RS4 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:15 pm

I had a similar experience.
Towards the end of the initial 5yr warranty when I came to extend via the website it was around £1,300 for the year (with no proactive contact from Audi to extend). Having extended it at that (high) price, the following year received an email around a month before expiry encouraging me to renew again, but this time the cost was around the £700 mark (both £ are All Component with a £250 excess).
Matt

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Cheers for that Matt.
Having spoken to a more 'friendly' advisor, it appears that their computer quoting system wasn't 'aware' that my vehicle had a manufacturers 5 year warranty (the initial 3 years, plus the extension of 2 years).
The other disappointing fact is that it is operated by an independent insurance company, rather than Audi themselves (which was indicated by their lack of the correct information about my car).
They requested proof of my 5 year warranty by email before it could be progressed with a new quote.
I shall post the results.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 am

Having been emailed back as promised by the helpful customer services adviser, they have now amended their details regarding my existing 5 year manufacturers warranty, and the amended prices are now as follows -
All component £0 XS - £1022, and with £250 XS - £680. Named component £0 XS - £828, and with £250 XS - £541
More or less half the previous quoted cost!

I have read the policy booklet in detail (which can be downloaded from the Audi Extended Warranty page) regarding whats covered on either Policy, and the Named Component policy seems better than I envisaged, covering the majority of parts / items that would concern me. Although some of the exclusions DO concern me.....

The All Component covers - All Factory Fitted Mechanical and Electrical components

Named components covers - All braking system components, Catalytic converter, Drive Line and 4 wheel drive components, Electrics (control units, switches, relays, motors, and instrument clusters), Engine (all internal components, sensors, ECU / engine and immobiliser control units and relays, ignition switches, fuel injectors and fuel pipes, starter motor, alternator water pump, thermostat and engine mountings) Gearbox (all internal components, linkages, ECU's, auto selection switch gear, and reverse light switch), Heating & Cooling system (all components relating to Heating and engine cooling/ aircon,), Locking system (all factory fitted components),Oil Leaks (seals and gaskets to rectify oil leaks) Steering system (all components from the steering wheel to the track rod ends, PAS system, sensors and relays) and Suspension (all components, wheel bearings, switch gear, ECU's relays, hydraulic pumps and valves).

The All Component does not appear to cover door seals (however mine were previously replaced under the 5 year warranty in year 4 due to squeaking), batteries (mine was replaced in its 5th year under the 5 year warranty due to its failure), seat frames, *coolant pipes and hoses*, CV boots, electrical wiring and connections, and wear and tear / perishable items.

The Named Component does not appear to specify any specific items that are not covered, although certain exclusions apply. Consequential damage to an excluded component as a result of a failed covered item is one for example.

*As they don't cover coolant pipes and hoses for example, on either policy, if damage was caused to the engine due to a defective coolant pipe resulting in coolant loss, would they cover the consequential damage to the engine? It says in the'general exclusions' that for either cover, they will not pay for sudden failure caused by an excluded component, so either way, if a coolant hose failed resulted in engine failure, my reading of it is that with either Policy, the engine wouldn't be covered. Or am I missing something?

Overall, the named component cover seems quite comprehensive being honest. But I'm not certain really what would not be covered by it relative to the All Component policy. It is a bit confusing...

Any thoughts ? Or anyone any experience of claiming on either type of policy?

Sorry for the long winded post / request -- just asking for anyone else's experiences of it before I take the plunge!

John

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:10 am

Not on a B8, but I have the named component policy on my R8. When the front differential went, I was looking at a £6k bill and thought they’d try to wriggle out of it - but they covered it with no quibbles. They even gave me a free Audi watch and R8 mouse - which I flogged on eBay, and almost made back my £250 excess

My renewal came through around the same time my warranty claim was being processed and was half the price I paid in the first year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Banbury
Neutral

Post by Banbury » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:35 pm

My dealer (Audi Cheltenham) told me to renew my warranty via the Audi website as it would be cheaper...

Below is cut-and-paste from "Confirmation of Cover" PDF:
Extended All Component Cover Warranty:
Start date: 16/11/2019 Excess: £250
Total price: £680.30

I asked Audi Cheltenham about any issues with honouring warranty. They told me that to go for "Extended All Component Cover" and I should be good.

Yanto
Neutral

Post by Yanto » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 am

Are these transferable to new owners when selling the car privately ?

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:23 pm

I know it doesn’t cover the exhaust as a sticking valve on the back box was not covered.

But I’m not complaining as it’s been good to me!
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”