A Few Questions

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Arsefor
Neutral

A Few Questions

Post by Arsefor » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi all, I've just joined up as I'm currently searching for an RS4 Avant and have a few questions i'd really appreciate if someone could answer.

I'm looking for a car with around 30-50k miles, as well specced as possible, at my budget I seem to be looking at 2013-2015 cars. I'm buying the car as I currently use a 2005 Porsche 911 as a daily and I've had enough of being in an old car and want a lot more refinement, in an ideal world I'd like the following toys and would like to know how many (if any) of them are standard on the B8 (and if so in what years etc) and how many are extras that not all cars will come with - in this case are there certain 'packages' that I should be looking for in my search?;

Keyless entry/start
Auto wipers/lights
Reverse camera
Heated rear seats
Apple Carplay (or at least decent BT connectivity for Spotify/phone)
Sports exhaust (i.e. switchable in terms of loudness)
Additional safety features such as Blind Spot Detection
Adaptive cruise control

I think that's about it, if anyone could let me know which if any of the above are standard features and which are available add-ons, I'd be really grateful!

Also, being a complete newbie, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some sort of buyers guide or post letting prospective buyers know what they should be looking for when buying an RS4? I'm totally clueless about any common faults or potential pit-falls so would love to arm myself with as much info as possible before picking a car.

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Re: A Few Questions

Post by Madelvic » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Have a look in the FAQ thread - all the brochures are there. The spec changed mid life and it's well documented, this copied from kmpowell's post

MY14
- 6.5" MMI system upgraded to 7" MMI+ system as standard (previously 7" MMI+ was an option)
- Power operated tailgate/boot made standard
- DAB made standard
- 'Sound Package' removed from options list due to DAB becoming standard
- 'Driver Assistance Package' added as an option
- Phantom Black dropped/renamed to Mythos Black
- Larger S-Tronic paddles added
- The ability change the exhaust note in the 'setup' menu added
- HHA (Hill hold assist) now remembers the last setting after exiting the car

MY15
- 'Limited Edition' model added
- Silver rimmed Matt Black 20" Rotors added as an option
- Red rimmed Matt Black 20" Rotors added as an option

Audi didn't provide Apple CarPlay ever in the B8 (it's not a touch screen). BT is okay: I ran all my music off a memory stick. Bose is a must and was an option on early cars

Heated rear seats, sports exhaust, blind spot, adaptive cruise, keyless entry as far as I can recall were always options.

One of the main packs (Sports Pack) is 20 inch wheels, sports exhaust, dynamic steering and adjustable suspension (Dynamic Ride Control). Most? cars come with it. Adaptive cruise comes with a 'Driver Assistance Package' and very few cars have it (I wanted adaptive cruise and I'd guess it is on 1 in 10 cars)

Although the RS4 didn't go on sale until towards the end of the B8 model, the B8 was designed in 06/07 and launched in 2008.

Sorry to say but I'd offer that you aren't going to see much at all in the way of extra refinement in the RS4; it's old tech imo. I ran a high-spec RS4 until recently. I miss the engine and the noise and the looks but not much else. I had the DRC suspension and it is prone to faults. It has two settings. Super stiff and unusable. For a laugh read the Clarkson Times review when he had an RS4. Also brake disks and pads make Porsche prices look cheap and that is saying something. Circa £1100 for fronts

Make sure you've had a decent drive in one before committing. I think you might be very disappointed coming from a 997 variant 911. I have an 05 Boxster S and replaced the RS4 with a Macan GTS for what it is worth
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Arsefor
Neutral

Post by Arsefor » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply, very useful and informative. My 997 has air con/heated seats, electric windows and that's about it in terms of toys! It's pretty basic, it's also very loud in terms of road noise (tyres) etc and isn't the most comfortable of places to be, the cockpit in the RS4 looks like a massive leap forward in terms of comfort, toys and refinement - i'm surprised to hear that you disagree there, and that a premium car 9 years older than my 911 isn't way ahead in terms of tech - definitely a test drive is in order!

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks.

The point I was trying to make is: the 997 launched in late 04/early 05 and would have been developed in say 2002 / 2003. I had an early launch model of the B8 S4 in 2008 and it changed little when the RS4 was brought out. So my last car was 15 registered but based on a platform developed only 3 years after your 997.

So yes it'll be a step forward but not as much as you might think.

The MMI display gives you phone, sat nav, music, DAB (an extra on some cars) but it's old tech. I looked at a CarPlay add on but without a touchscreen navigation is done from the centre console controls. Audi charge several hundred quid to update the staff nav. My car had connect services that would give real-time traffic, online details of petrol stations and prices etc. It used to link to a phone app, but Audi stopped supporting it and it no longer works (I used to be able to find a destination on Google maps on my phone/laptop and send it to the car)

Adaptive cruise I think is brilliant - takes stress out of driving on busy A-roads as it'll maintain the cars speed down to 20mph when it disengages. The Macan by comparison will bring the car to a stop and restart it

Another nice option is memory seats so each key will set a/c, seat position, mirrors. Folding mirrors is an option too worth having as they close on lock and reopen on open. I liked the keyless entry but many don't as it makes the cars easier to steal (and that was a worry for me). I kept keys in an rfid pouch

I found the ride in the RS4 liveable with but the Mrs didn't. I think you'll find it isn't anywhere as nice as a driver as your 911; my Macan rides and steers better than the RS did and it's a heavy tank! I also suspect you will find the ride in the RS even in comfort worse than your 911

On the plus side I do regret selling my RS. It'll be a classic very soon. If only I could have kept it.......
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 pm

My MY15 car has almost every option you can think of, so I'll list them as to whether I think they are beneficial (to me obviously, but other will have different preferences)....
Ceramic brakes - superb, wouldn't be without them, no dust or rust and look the 'dogs'
Lane assist - useful, but being honest you become oblivious to the warning lights
Lane departure - never activate it
Memory seats - never programmed it; the missus refuses to drive it, and no one else does
Top speed increase to 174mph - no use unless in Germany or on a track
Pan roof - brightens up the cabin and makes it 'airey', but I never open it (as with my daily)
Hill hold assist - great and it is activated continously
Keyless entry - rarely use it to enter the car, but love the start/stop button (B7 memories....!)
Carbon engine cover - looks good (but only to me and the Audi technicians !!!)
Carbon interior trim - I think it is the best option (imo)
Heated rear seats - don't interest me as I never sit in the back as no one else drives it
RS4 mats - at £450 list, an expensive option, but good in a used car
Sports pack - a must really. Black exhaust tips and sports exhaust a must, 20" rims look far
superior to the 19" , DRC great (until faulty!), dynamic steering - not felt any real
benefit
Aluminium pack - imo improves the appearance, but depends on the cars colour
Titanium rotors - personal preference, but easier to clean and show off the ceramics better!
High beam assist - good if you find moving the indicator stalk difficult
Some like the black pack - depends on the cars colour
Some prefer buckets, but I prefer the sports seats
If I could retro fit it, I would like adaptive cruise control, and I really miss the aluminium flat bottomed steering wheel of my B7, although I accept it didn't have the finger tip controls of the B8 wheel, and couldn't be fitted anyway..
I have probably missed something, but many of the options are personal preference. This is just my own personal thoughts, and others may think differently!
All else I can say, is to look at as many as you can (as you no doubt know) - many have had a hard life now, but the right car will jump out at you when you find it.
Good luck!

Arsefor
Neutral

Post by Arsefor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks Johnnydog, much appreciated, very useful!

The 'extras' that I'm after are actually all (apart from exhaust, adaptive cruise and blind spot detection) toys that I had on the full fat Discovery that I had for 2 years before swapping to the 911, and my wife still uses now, so they're all things that I actually miss and therefore would definitely like to have again, I understand they're all down to personal preference.

Unfortunately I live in quite a remote location and there's no B8 RS4's at dealers anywhere close to me, so a test drive will be a PITA to arrange but from the sound of it quite important before making a decision, I had pretty much settled on an RS4 but maybe I should look at other brands. The problem for me is that I have a background in VAG cars, VW's, Audi, Porsche, and I've never really had any interest in others like BMW's/Mercs etc, they do nothing for me. The Discovery was my first venture away from VAG for over 20 years of driving, and I love it, so maybe I should open my mind a bit!

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:39 pm

I knew there would be some items I forgot to list....
Folding door mirrors - useful if garage space is tight, good to check you have locked the car!
Reversing camera - very useful to have, although these days many cars have it.
Of all the options on my car, the must haves are the ceramics, sports pack, keyless entry, hill hold assist, reverse camera and pan roof. The rest are nice to have the benefit of, but aren't used that often (in my case). However I would always go for a car with as many options as possible, as they don't greatly affect the price of a used car (except for the ceramics), but are good selling points when you come to part with it.

Chee
Neutral

Post by Chee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:31 pm

I have both an RS4 and a 911 (996 C4S), and I think you would definitely appreciate the extra creature comforts in the RS4. The 997 is not that different to the 996, which first came about in 1998, so I think even an early B8 would give a big improvement in NVH and cabin quality. I really like the contrast of the two cars. The highlights for me is the noise, speed (once kicked down 2-3 gears), the dsg for cruising and maximum attack, comfort, looks, practicality and interior quality. Downsides - costs of parts and consumables, VED, lack of low down torque in 7th when cruising when compared to modern turbo stuff and Audi dealerships/customer care.

So I can definitely recommend one, but I would say not at the cost of losing the 911!

Chee

Arsefor
Neutral

Post by Arsefor » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks for that. I must admit I'm a little bit taken back that the general consensus (albeit from a small amount of people, not the busiest of forums!) from RS4 owners is to keep my 997! It's genuinely made me have a rethink, I love my 911 and have enjoyed every second of owning it, i'm just yearning after a bit more refinement in the winter, but by the sound of it come next summer i'd be really missing my 911. Hmmm.

simundo777
2nd Gear

Post by simundo777 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:51 am

Not a 911 but I've recently sold my Cayman 981 S for a B8 RS4 and although i will 100% miss the Cayman when I'm really in the mood for a good drive or just a pose! The RS4 feels fantastic and there is something great about having a car that isn't quite as obvious as a Porsche but to those in the know is just as special.

If you are anything like me, I'm constantly striving to find the perfect all round and could persuade myself into anything. I had a 1M and said I needed auto. Went E90 M3 and missed a manual. Bought a Porsche just because but didn't use it much so hence me being in an avant.

I don't think you'll regret the RS4 and I'm sure one day I'll be in another Porsche....good luck!
Current: B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
Gone: B8 RS4 Nogaro Edition. BMW 1M. Cayman 981S. E90 M3. E46 M3 CS

Coople
1st Gear

Post by Coople » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Lane assist is pretty cool. It would be ideal if it would let you not touch the steering wheel at all as that with the dynamic cruise pretty much means you can go down the motorway with zero car interaction!!

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:57 pm

I chose a ‘standard’ spec car without sports pack. OMG you are saying but I can’t fault the ride quality and will not have the associated costs of failing DRC units. It’s a big car and yes, there are times when I would have liked it, but mostly I can live with it. What I did get was a list of options as long as your arm of around £8k of options including most of the above with the exception of carbon brakes (I understand you don’t want to be the owner who pays for the replacements lol). A TV is not altogether a necessity granted but adaptive cruise is great (car has sensor in bumper where a fog lamp might be).
Folding mirrors wind in on locking but open on ignition which avoids all that faffing if you go back to the car to get something. Didn’t get on with lane assist so turned it off (easy to do). Keyless has sensors on back doors also so no need to put hand in drivers to before going to a back door (and starter button-even if it does feel like it’s on the wrong side of the console). I can’t remember if it is a communication pack but provided I put a SIM card in it I get Wifi and internet based traffic updates.
Hope that helps 😁
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”