Unexpected alarm trigger...

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Geoff A
2nd Gear

Unexpected alarm trigger...

Post by Geoff A » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 pm

So the last two nights, the car alarm has gone off around 11pm. It's been sat most of the day and there's no critters inside it. It's had me puzzled, and my first thought was key fob battery.
I am now suspecting the car battery is on its way out, as it's just gone off again: low volume peeping and indicators flashing, so not like a major alarm sound. So a quick test with my multimeter just showed 11.8 volts and that screams a tired, low battery to me.
I suspect it's original, and the car will be five years old in Nov, (three years in my care).
Anyone else had this? Just wondering if I'm right with my assessment and the alarm trigger is a low voltage warning. Will check alternator output tomorrow (as long as it starts...)
Cheers, G

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: Unexpected alarm trigger...

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Geoff A wrote:So the last two nights, the car alarm has gone off around 11pm. It's been sat most of the day and there's no critters inside it. It's had me puzzled, and my first thought was key fob battery.
I am now suspecting the car battery is on its way out, as it's just gone off again: low volume peeping and indicators flashing, so not like a major alarm sound. So a quick test with my multimeter just showed 11.8 volts and that screams a tired, low battery to me.
I suspect it's original, and the car will be five years old in Nov, (three years in my care).
Anyone else had this? Just wondering if I'm right with my assessment and the alarm trigger is a low voltage warning. Will check alternator output tomorrow (as long as it starts...)
Cheers, G
This happened to me a week ago and had me stumped. I have indeed also had a low keyfob battery warning and replace keyfob battery warning this week. 64 plate.

I'd be very interested in your findings bud. Car alarm seemed pretty loud but then again, I've not heard it before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Rusty Racer
3rd Gear

Post by Rusty Racer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Siren is under the plastic scuttle panel to rear of engine bay down near the bulkhead. Not sure if they suffer with internal batteries like my old TT did?
While voltage could be better I’d still expect it to start with 11.8. Car should operate a shut down procedure of electronics to ensure it starts.
2018 RS4 B9 Carbon Edition
2014 RS4 B8

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm
Geoff A wrote:So the last two nights, the car alarm has gone off around 11pm. It's been sat most of the day and there's no critters inside it. It's had me puzzled, and my first thought was key fob battery.
Cheers, G
This happened to me a week ago and had me stumped. I have indeed also had a low keyfob battery warning and replace keyfob battery warning this week. 64 plate.

I'd be very interested in your findings bud. Car alarm seemed pretty loud but then again, I've not heard it before.

I have had to replace my key fob battery too on a '64 plate car. I put that down to it having the advance key which probably is a heavier drain on the key battery than a car with the normal key set up.
But it was after 4 years of use......

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 pm

johnnydog wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm
Cheers, G

I have had to replace my key fob battery too on a '64 plate car. I put that down to it having the advance key which probably is a heavier drain on the key battery than a car with the normal key set up.
But it was after 4 years of use......
Yeah can't really complain. I'll replace this week.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”