Alarm/Immobiliser advice

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Joels
Neutral

Alarm/Immobiliser advice

Post by Joels » Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for some general advice on additional security.

My B8 RS4 was taken from my driveway a couple of weeks back, driver side window smashed, car taken, not sure how they did it but no one heard the alarm at 4am and it was gone. I assume there's a way of programming a new key and disabling the alarm if you know what you're doing. I have/had a camera up above the car which the thief disabled first, they'd obviously had a good look beforehand and knew what to do.

Car was recovered within a couple of days and I'm now awaiting the damage estimate/report with a view to getting it back on the road ASAP.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following:

- Disklock steering wheel lock (or similar)?
- Better immob/alarm system?
- Tracker?

I have a motorbike with a tracker and like the concept and security it offers so tempted by that but I think a visual deterrent may also be of good use...

oh and a knife....

a really bloody sharp knife to cut the scumbags hands off with.

noddy
2nd Gear

Re: Alarm/Immobiliser advice

Post by noddy » Thu May 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Deterrent only, Disc lock is the current trend it takes time and noise to get off but I would also consider a big ass security light and some cctv. Other options just cause damage to your car while they find out how to get it started...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Thu May 09, 2019 5:39 pm

+1 for lights and security camera. Can recommend Cuban 303 tracker. Stand a chance of catching the scumbags and getting your car back

Many reselling this device at stupid money but less than £30 on Amazon. Even have one now on our shitty Honda Jazz
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Thu May 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Coban. Damn spell checker
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

peetee
Neutral

Post by peetee » Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm

If you don't want your car to be stolen get an Autowatch Ghost installed

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm

peetee wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm
I thought they worked out how to bypass this already?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri May 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Joels wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm
Hi all, I'm looking for some general advice on additional security.

My B8 RS4 was taken from my driveway a couple of weeks back, driver side window smashed, car taken, not sure how they did it but no one heard the alarm at 4am and it was gone. I assume there's a way of programming a new key and disabling the alarm if you know what you're doing. I have/had a camera up above the car which the thief disabled first, they'd obviously had a good look beforehand and knew what to do.

Car was recovered within a couple of days and I'm now awaiting the damage estimate/report with a view to getting it back on the road ASAP.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the following:

- Disklock steering wheel lock (or similar)?
- Better immob/alarm system?
- Tracker?

I have a motorbike with a tracker and like the concept and security it offers so tempted by that but I think a visual deterrent may also be of good use...

oh and a knife....

a really bloody sharp knife to cut the scumbags hands off with.
To stop a similar theft mode you can install an aftermarket alarm system. This has 2 advantages;
1. It is much louder than the standard alarm so more chance of waking you up. And the perimeter sensor can be set to give off some loud chirps if anyway is close enough to go car and peering in through the windows. This alone should be enough for them to realise they are dealing with something better than the standard alarm and should put them off.
2. You can disable the OBD port with the alarm so when they smash the window and lean in to reprogrammed a key using the OBD port they will find it is dead. Also the alarm will be going off a lot louder and your key fob next to your bed will be vibrating letting waking you up. As an alternative you can move the OBD port onto the side dash panel so it's unaccessible with the door closed. With the doors deadlocked they can't open the door until they reporogramme a key but if they can't grt to the port then they can't open the door anyway.

Of course, if they break in and steal your keys none of these things help.

peetee
Neutral

Post by peetee » Fri May 10, 2019 6:35 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:17 pm
peetee wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm
I thought they worked out how to bypass this already?
Approx 1.5years ago Autowatch were notified of Ford’s being vulnerable to theft despite having the Ghost device installed. Not long after an update was released and I know of not a single Ghost device being bypassed now

Also there have been very small instances of manual transmission cars fitted with ghost being stolen. Method was smash window, drop hand brake & roll onto a flat bed

In my opinion a car (especially an RS) without ghost is a sitting duck , these cars are hot cakes. I would never collect a car without it being taken to a local Ghost Installer first

That video of the white RS5 on YouTube is very off putting to RS owners I know. I have a friend who would have lost his brand new SQ5 if it wasn’t for ghost - the thieves opened the locks using the signal booster but couldn’t start. Trust me dude .. you need it

Joels
Neutral

Post by Joels » Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Has anyone had experience or views on the Pandora systems?

At this point I think anything extra is good but I'd rather not go over the top (budgetwise) if I don't need to...

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Wed May 15, 2019 12:47 pm

As before Coban 303. Various models. GPS tracker. Battery backup. Geofencing. Can disable fuel pump from your mobile. Alarm feature in some models too.

I’m just using the tracker function. Less than £30 and a £10 sim lasts two years.
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,