Head Light Washer Leak?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Flighty
Neutral

Head Light Washer Leak?

Post by Flighty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:08 am

Wondering if anyone else experiences this...

Sporadically I will find a puddle under the car in the morning, which is definitely washer fluid. I can only assume it is coming from the head light washer assembly due to is position and ‘leak’ path.

The car has been back to Audi twice now for this, where they have replaced the washer assembly once, and the second time had the whole front bumper off looking for a leak (which they couldn’t find).

Audi’s suggestion is that during operation, fluid is running down from the headlights and back into the door where the washer comes out, then collecting on a shelf / ledge that is behind the bumper, this then drains out when it’s parked up.

Does anyone else notice / experience this? I’ve only noticed if from the RH washer, and would expect to see the same from the LH side if Audi’s theory was true...

As ever, thanks in advance.
2F712387-200F-4E99-B89A-642EBA72875F.jpeg

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: Head Light Washer Leak?

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:47 pm

That theory sounds a bit farfetched to me, unless the headlight washer was not extending fully during operation and flooding the aperture area, rather than the headlight lens. Its worth checking that they both function correctly first.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 pm

So in the 4yrs i’ve Owned the car mine has been back every February (usually 1 or 2 weeks after the annual service) to have the drivers side headlight washer jet assemberly replaced under warranty.

Each time they’ve replaced the full kit.

Does exactly the same thing you have identified - draining the bottle over a period of one or two days.

If you carefully pull the front washer flap forward, you’ll see the nozzle leaking which drips into the bumper then runs round until it drips onto the floor.

I don’t know what causes it, nor why it keeps reappearing but interesting I am not the only one!!
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

Flighty
Neutral

Post by Flighty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Thanks Sammyb349, looks like we might be in the same situation, as I am told by Audi that this is the 2nd drivers side washer that’s been installed under warranty... the first being done by the previous owner, the second by myself. How very bizarre. It’s like it is some sort of seepage that only comes through the drivers side! Does your Audi garage suggest any root cause?

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:05 pm

No - had master tech dismantle the entire assembly and replace everything this time. My personal assessment is the part is made badly and and they leak eventually. As long as they give up within the two year warranty I am fine (other than the hassle)
Current:
Previous:

robster
1st Gear

Post by robster » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:46 am

Had probs on my TT with these, they also crack over time and the alien falls apart. If you've got to pay I'd just turn them off, they only make a mess when you spray them

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 am

Sammyb349 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 pm
So in the 4yrs i’ve Owned the car mine has been back every February (usually 1 or 2 weeks after the annual service) to have the drivers side headlight washer jet assemberly replaced under warranty.
If its always this time of year it could be your washer fluid freezing, which expands and cracks the unit?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Flighty
Neutral

Post by Flighty » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:29 am

So I’ve had another look at this and it is exactly as Sammyb says the left hand jet nozzle of the right hand washer is constantly weeping fluid. I have a boroscope, which I have put inside the flap and the leak path is onto a shelf beneath the washer jet when it is stowed away, which then exits throuh the undertray forward of the front wheel...

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 am
If its always this time of year it could be your washer fluid freezing, which expands and cracks the unit?
This.......if I was a betting man, especially as it seems to coincide with the colder months.

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 am

Whilst it’s a good thought - I use screen wash rated for winter and the windscreen jets worked fine. Could well be though....
Current:
Previous:

robster
1st Gear

Post by robster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:43 am

Screen wash Jets are heated, pretty sure the aliens aren't. Water pressure opens them so when shut there will only be residual water which won't have much anti freeze in it

I did find some spare heads years ago and they were very cheap but the place went bump and couldn't find another source.

Scottyr81
Neutral

Post by Scottyr81 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Just had the front end off of mine and replaced them both as my offside one was leaking and emptying the bottle in couple of days, been a week and no water loss, took the old one to bits and was full of crud and limescale.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”