Will these fit?

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Get_Real
Neutral

Will these fit?

Post by Get_Real » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:20 am

Hi,

I have decided to drive to the French Alps (La Plagne) for a bit of skiing but more to take the new pup along with us - hence the driving and not flying. Has anyone had any experience of driving there?

I am thinking of ideally buying a cheap set of wheels and winter tyres if possible but came across this on ebay whilst on my quest! :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-wheels ... :rk:4:pf:0

Would these fit our B8 RS4? I asked them the question and they came back with a suitably vague answer:
"The wheels and tyres should conform to the car maker's recommended sizes and load ratings. The easiest and quickest way to check this is by looking in the vehicle handbook."

I'm new to the RS4 scene but to be honest, unfortunately that's not an excuse as I'm self-confessed pretty clueless/confused about these things. I currently have 20in ROTORs so the alternative is to change the tyres to Winter Tyres for the journey (??) and then swap back after? But that's a pain as I will have to take it to the Shop to swap back n forth. Also would I need to buy Snow Chains too? And if I do need Snow Chains, is it worth changing to Winter Tyres? Or just use my normal wheel/tyres and bring the snowchains in case I get stuck?

Sorry for the 20 questions and look forward especially to peeps who have done this journey and their thoughts/experience/expert opinion?

Thanks all.
Porsche Cayenne
-------------------------------------------------------
B8.5 Daytona Grey RS4 4.2 V8
Merc SL500 Obsidian Black 4.7 V8 twin turbo
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe
Rover 218 Conv - engine taken from Lotus Elise

douglasgdmw
1st Gear

Re: Will these fit?

Post by douglasgdmw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:25 am

No expert but if you are looking for snow chains then you will probably have to go with 19" tyres.

On the inside of the drivers door Audi specify: 235 40 R19 96V XL M+S, however you will have to get the correct offset of the alloy as well.

The following website should explain what you require:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/rs4/2014/
(obviously double check with the owners manual)

I am lucky that I managed to track down a set of used official Audi 19" winters alloys. However trying to find Audi alloys in the correct offset is the difficulty as the majority of 19" alloys I found on Ebay/Gumtree etc had the "non" RS4 offset. Was a bit of a wild goose chase and very relieved when I managed to track a set down.

You can get non Audi wheels but you would have to get the correct wheel specification.

To add another into the mix - when I contacted Audi warranty about wheels (as I was nearly fitting winters to my 20" V-Spokes), they said that they would not honour warranty claims without official Audi wheels - how that may stand up in court is another story. However I did not want to take the risk so went down the "official" Audi certified alloy route.

Also I think you may have issues with snow chains on the 20" rotors as you may not have enough clearance for the chain, so you may need to purchase snow socks instead - which you may need to confirm whether that allows you up to some of the snowier regions as have heard on Pistonheads people being turned back due to no chains (so maybe another area to investigate).

I do not have personal experience of going to the alps so sure some people with more practical experience will come along.

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:46 am

Pretty certain the answer is no. These are 18 inch wheels and I don’t believe they would clear the bigger brakes. Also offset is 38mm vs 26mm so a 19 inch version would need spacers and longer bolts.

This is the spec

Winter wheel option
8J x 19 ET 26   LK. 5x112
Part number 8T0601025 AG
Tire size: 235/40 R 19 96 V Could be 255/35
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:51 am

Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Get_Real
Neutral

Post by Get_Real » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:23 am

Thanks @douglasgdmw and @Grittle! Amazing amount of info there! Much appreciated for your help and responses.

As douglasgdmw mentioned, does anyone have any experience of putting snowchains on our 20in ROTORS or is it not possible? If possible, then at least I know that's my backup plan.

And thanks for the link Grittle but i don't really want to spend that much on a spare set of wheels which will spend most of its life in the shed. I was ideally hoping to find some cheap secondhand wheels with winter tyres for this particular ski trip.

Once again, thank you both for your help. If anyone else has any further thoughts on driving to the alps, please do put in your 2 pennies worth! Every little helps! :notworthy:

Cheers
Porsche Cayenne
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:53 am

Order 1, try it on and you will see.
"30 days refund, buyer pays return postage"
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Plenty of second hand 19 and 20 wheels and tyres on Audisport net.
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

Get_Real
Neutral

Post by Get_Real » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks Covkilller but I ideally do not want the hassle of buying and returning as well as incurring the cost of delivery just to try it out if i can help it. There's a wealth of information and help from fellow members which will hopefully be able to let one ascertain the right wheel etc...

Thanks Sammyb349. Will give them a try! :thumbs:
Porsche Cayenne
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”