Viewing an RS4 tomorrow and about to buy if all good

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Get_Real
Neutral

Viewing an RS4 tomorrow and about to buy if all good

Post by Get_Real » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Got a dog and been thinking about a suitable 'dog-mobile' these last few weeks and the B8 RS4 has come up trump - especially in terms of performance and practicality! :biggrin3:

I have got the attached Service Records and was hoping that the experts here would be kind enough to have a look and advice if (a) they are good enough (b) anything i need to worry about?

The car is a 2014 RS4 registered in March 2014 with just under 50k miles. Spec wise appears to have everything I would like - sports package, B&O, Advanced Key, Reverse Camera and Driver Assistance Pack.

The service history seems to be my only concern and I was hoping that I would be able to get some 'proper' non salesman advice from you guys!

Thanks all!

Best,
Alex
Attachments
Audi RS4 Service.pdf
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Porsche Cayenne
-------------------------------------------------------
B8.5 Daytona Grey RS4 4.2 V8
Merc SL500 Obsidian Black 4.7 V8 twin turbo
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe
Rover 218 Conv - engine taken from Lotus Elise

noidea
3rd Gear

Re: Viewing an RS4 tomorrow and about to buy if all good

Post by noidea » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 pm

Difficult to see the documents properly on my phone, but lots of non Audi servicing would put me off. Depends on the price to be honest.
The front final drive is supposed to be serviced at 20k miles, this looks to be done late.
The big 38k mile service doesn't look comprehensive enough.
These are two things that jump out. There is a full service schedule on here somewhere. I will see if I can find it.
My personal opinion is I would keep looking.

Here is the service schedule link
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Services all done by reputable dealers, though GC Motors and Aston both serviced it for sale. They'll have done the minimum they could get away with though.

Question is: was the reg number L8 PKW or L8 PWK Two invoices quote one, two another. PKW is on a shitty Kia Sedona so believe it to be L8 PWK

Cazana has MOT history under this number, DVLA doesn't recognise the number.

I had big expensive gearbox problems on my previous S4 and Audi stumped up 60% of the £5 to £6k cost as they had serviced it. Service history is all online - but only recognises Audi services so when Audi look it will look like it has missed most services.

So I'd say buy based on condition but don't expect any support from Audi if/when something big fails. Have a look to see if Audi will do offer warranty on it, and how much?

Have a look here:

https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Get_Real
Neutral

Post by Get_Real » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Thanks noidea and Grittle! Much appreciated for your advice. It's L8 PWK as you surmised.

I'm also looking at a 63 plate tomorrow just in case now ;)

Is there an accurate way to find out the actual specs that a car has? As some of these cars are trade ins so the dealer don't know too much. ie whether it has Sports Pack, Sound Pack, Tech Pack etc....

And if the speedometer has only the RS and not RS4 does that mean that it's the updated MY14 spec?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a minefield out there and just wanted to ensure what I've read is what I understand ifbyiubknow what I mean.

Thanks all once again!
Porsche Cayenne
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Audi dealers can give you the spec from the VIN

All the brochures are in the forum for the different model years that will help you work out the spec if you can get the codes
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 am

Ok so this is the car in question - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 2293526034

Great spec from what I can see:

MY14 car, so larger steering wheel paddles, DAB, power tailgate 7" Nav display etc
Sport Package - Sports Exhaust, DRC, 20" Wheels and Dynamic Steering
Driver Assistance package - Reverse Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, High beam assist, Lane keep assist and brake guard
Convenience package - Memory seats, folding dimming mirrors
Storage Pack - seat storage nets, front underseat storage bins, lockable glovebox and rear cupholders
Panoramic Sunroof
Bang and Olufsen stereo
Advanced key - Keyless entry and start
Full leather
Heated seats
Hill hold assist
Matt aluminium styling pack
Tints

Negatives - Service history is certainly not ideal, front brake discs look quite worn and no record of any discs being changed or even rear pads? Those horrible stuck on window things. Yuk!!!

The front final drive should be done every 20k. So it was overdue when carried out, but many cars have missed it until being picked up at the big 40k service. No excuse but a consideration. The AmD 40k service is woeful - gearbox service as mentioned earlier looks light, so whilst done around the right time, it should also include rear final drive oil change and ATF change (2 fluids for Sports Diff). It should have really got another front final drive oil change, to bring it back into the service schedule. That is now due in 400 miles for the second time.

This is the FAQ thread for the B8 RS4, click on the links for the threads containing more information like service schedules and brochures.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=120171
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 am

It had front discs and pads at 26k miles. They will be near their end of life so will need some more soon. The rear pads must have been changed, although there is nothing shown. I can't believe they would last that many miles.
So even with discs and pads all round and nothing else that's getting on for £2000 you would need to spend fairly soon.
But yes a very good spec.

Get_Real
Neutral

Post by Get_Real » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:22 am

Grittle wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 pm
Audi dealers can give you the spec from the VIN

All the brochures are in the forum for the different model years that will help you work out the spec if you can get the codes
Thanks Grittle. Am asking the dealer for the VIN in the morning before making the journey.
Porsche Cayenne
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe

Get_Real
Neutral

Post by Get_Real » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:25 am
Ok so this is the car in question - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 2293526034

Great spec from what I can see:

MY14 car, so larger steering wheel paddles, DAB, power tailgate 7" Nav display etc
Sport Package - Sports Exhaust, DRC, 20" Wheels and Dynamic Steering
Driver Assistance package - Reverse Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, High beam assist, Lane keep assist and brake guard
Convenience package - Memory seats, folding dimming mirrors
Storage Pack - seat storage nets, front underseat storage bins, lockable glovebox and rear cupholders
Panoramic Sunroof
Bang and Olufsen stereo
Advanced key - Keyless entry and start
Full leather
Heated seats
Hill hold assist
Matt aluminium styling pack
Tints

Negatives - Service history is certainly not ideal, front brake discs look quite worn and no record of any discs being changed or even rear pads? Those horrible stuck on window things. Yuk!!!

The front final drive should be done every 20k. So it was overdue when carried out, but many cars have missed it until being picked up at the big 40k service. No excuse but a consideration. The AmD 40k service is woeful - gearbox service as mentioned earlier looks light, so whilst done around the right time, it should also include rear final drive oil change and ATF change (2 fluids for Sports Diff). It should have really got another front final drive oil change, to bring it back into the service schedule. That is now due in 400 miles for the second time.

This is the FAQ thread for the B8 RS4, click on the links for the threads containing more information like service schedules and brochures.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=120171
Wow... you can tell all that just by looking at that minimal AutoTrader advert? I had to get the dealer to call Audi to get that info for me.

I hadn't even noticed those stuck on things....... what a noob :roll:

So service is a fairly big negative but still potentially rectifiable if I carry out the service schedules per the FAQs (thank you for this).

Could I trouble you for your thoughts on this car instead?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

Thanks Surrey Sam! I live in Wimbledon and grew up in Surrey so might see you about if I get a chance to go to some meets! :thumbs:
Porsche Cayenne
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe

Get_Real
Neutral

Post by Get_Real » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 am

noidea wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 am
It had front discs and pads at 26k miles. They will be near their end of life so will need some more soon. The rear pads must have been changed, although there is nothing shown. I can't believe they would last that many miles.
So even with discs and pads all round and nothing else that's getting on for £2000 you would need to spend fairly soon.

Wow good to know noidea! That's ex! As I'm viewing another car tomorrow.... what's the best way of checking the discs and pads and ensuring that there is still some good life on them? It's with a small dealer so want to ensure I'm not cheated.

Thank you
Porsche Cayenne
BMW E93 Conv
Nissan S15 Silvia
Honda Civic Vtec Coupe

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Get_Real wrote:
noidea wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 am

Wow good to know noidea! That's ex! As I'm viewing another car tomorrow.... what's the best way of checking the discs and pads and ensuring that there is still some good life on them? It's with a small dealer so want to ensure I'm not cheated.

Thank you
My front discs and pads were replaced at 30k miles. The car has now done 34k miles and the rear pads will soon need doing. I would get away with not doing the discs but have opted to change them at the same time.
I have heard people have changed the fronts after 20k miles, it depends on how hard you are on brakes really or if they have been changed as part of a pre sale.
The only way of telling is to measure the thickness of the disc. The minimum thicknesses are in the post Sam did in the link above.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”