Hi!

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: Hi!

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Cool, keep any eye on the trackday/meets section. I think there will be a Boxhill meet (near M25 Leatherhead junction) posted up there soon. I'm happy to bring along VCDS for those of you who want tweaks done :thumbs:

link - viewforum.php?f=10
Many thanks. Hopefully I'll be free. Be good to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdrs4_82
Neutral

Post by mdrs4_82 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Well, this rev flaring thing I have is bothering me to the point that I just popped into see Audi :) On a test-drive, the service manager (nice guy!) seemed to think there was an issue, but that a recalibration + resynch + software update should cure it. It's booked in tomorrow morning to have it done.

I'll try and shoot a video of what it does, but basically, when coming to a stop and letting the car downshift, it will go from 6 -> 4, revs drop to where you'd think it'd stay, then gradually flare up about 4-500 RPMs, then back down again. It's as if it's holding onto 4th a bit too long instead of going almost immediately into 3rd. It does it > 80% of the time, less so if I come to more of an abrupt stop with the brakes. It also does it from 3->2 exactly like this video, posted by another member on this forum with what seems to be exactly the same problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV-cgm2LZ2o

(notice as it shifts into 2nd, the revs flare up slightly)

It "feels" like clutch slip. I know DSGs tend to feel like they are slipping the clutch in low gears when setting off, but this is a bit different.

Will report back tomorrow! I'm positive it wasn't always like this.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Ok that's not the behaviour I thought you were describing earlier - always hard to understand/translate. I'll pop out later and have a look at what mine does, in the YouTube clip operating temps are not up to warm levels, does yours do this when hot/cold or both?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

mdrs4_82
Neutral

Post by mdrs4_82 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm

When hot and up to temp. When cold, I normally let the car idle for a few mins before driving.

*edit*

Sam: thanks for trying it out, very easy, just drive at normal speeds, let it get into 6th say at 40-50mph, and then just let it come to a stop without touching the accelerator, as if you were approaching a roundabout or something (braking a little is fine). Whilst it's downshifting, try to see what the revs do and what gears are being selected.

Mine seems to do 6----> 4 -----> 3 -> 2 (with more - meaning how long it stayed in that gear). Flares when it goes into 4th and also a little in 3rd and 2nd. I'll shoot a video on the way home from work.

jangol
4th Gear

Post by jangol » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Welcome

I think that you're just hearing more of what was there before, due to the Capristo now being fitted. So nothing to worry about.

VCDS can be quite handy, I've done a few feature changes with it on the B8. Things like:

Activate hidden menu to then enable Ambient Lighting
Enable DRL Selectable via MMI
Enable Adaptive Brake Lights
Set Headlight Washer Cycles - increased so happens less often
Disable Dribble Wipe
Increase radio play time after car is turned off
Remote opening and closing of Sunroof/Windows

Also used it to retrofit things, service functions - retract electronic parking brake for rear pad swap, and to trouble shoot with the data logging capability. Certainly not the easiest of programmes to use but a worthwhile tool for a DIY'er.
How did you do all those lovely things, pointers welcome

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:02 am

jangol wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 pm
Surrey Sam wrote:Welcome

I think that you're just hearing more of what was there before, due to the Capristo now being fitted. So nothing to worry about.

VCDS can be quite handy, I've done a few feature changes with it on the B8. Things like:

Activate hidden menu to then enable Ambient Lighting
Enable DRL Selectable via MMI
Enable Adaptive Brake Lights
Set Headlight Washer Cycles - increased so happens less often
Disable Dribble Wipe
Increase radio play time after car is turned off
Remote opening and closing of Sunroof/Windows

Also used it to retrofit things, service functions - retract electronic parking brake for rear pad swap, and to trouble shoot with the data logging capability. Certainly not the easiest of programmes to use but a worthwhile tool for a DIY'er.
How did you do all those lovely things, pointers welcome
I'll try put together a new thread, detailing the above and then people can add to it :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:06 am

mdrs4_82 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm
Sam: thanks for trying it out, very easy, just drive at normal speeds, let it get into 6th say at 40-50mph, and then just let it come to a stop without touching the accelerator, as if you were approaching a roundabout or something (braking a little is fine). Whilst it's downshifting, try to see what the revs do and what gears are being selected.
You're welcome.

Below is a video link from earlier tonight, on a run out. The car is fully up to temps and I can't really replicate the flare you describe?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KkN7X ... P-IPBrf-Of

mdrs4_82
Neutral

Post by mdrs4_82 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks so much for doing that! Yours seems to behave pretty much how I'd expect and what I remember mine to be like. There is a slight rise in RPMs on yours yours, between 9-10s, but it's very small. I took a video of mine (which you've already seen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hci4aeF_5mU

It looks like I've pressed the throttle at ~12s, but actually, my foot is right off and the car is increasing the RPMs on it's own. It's only at ~16s that I start to accelerate lightly through the gears.

Other dual clutch cars I've owned have never done this. Coming to a stop, previous cars work down the gears and the RPMs just drop cleanly.

Anyway perhaps I'm being too picky - it's going into Audi this morning. Will report back once software update + recal is done.

mdrs4_82
Neutral

Post by mdrs4_82 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:36 pm

So after 9 months ownership, I had a moment of impulse and traded the RS4 in for an RS6!

Very different cars, the 6 is on a completely different playing field when it comes to part & full throttle acceleration... But the noise of the RS4, I do miss that!

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31 am

mdrs4_82 wrote:So after 9 months ownership, I had a moment of impulse and traded the RS4 in for an RS6!

Very different cars, the 6 is on a completely different playing field when it comes to part & full throttle acceleration... But the noise of the RS4, I do miss that!
Damn!

Big move.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the differences in handling, sound, theatre, practicality, every day use, torque, excitement and fuel haha.

Probably my next car in a few years.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”