Brake Judder

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: Brake Judder

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 am

Covkiller wrote:Keep going, cleaning will sort it out. As for the spongy feel, see how it is after the fronts are cleaned. You may need to bleed.
That's what I thought mate.

What could cause that then if you don't mind me asking? Double checked with Chris last night and he said all the pads were fine. Just hoping it's not a warped disc. Waiting on the brake cleaner but I'll have a pop at digging out the drilled holes this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 am

The only thing that causes spongy brakes is air in the system or when really used hard i.e. track work, rubber brake hoses expand . But wait and see after the clean. If you need to bleed your brakes then I would advise you buy braided hoses. Cheap and the most effect mod. But wait as this is a whole new world.
This pm, if you have alloy wheel cleaner use that on your brakes, give them a good dousing, jet wash, scrub with soapy water and jet wash down the vents holes, round the back, you get the drift.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 am

Covkiller wrote:The only thing that causes spongy brakes is air in the system or when really used hard i.e. track work, rubber brake hoses expand . But wait and see after the clean. If you need to bleed your brakes then I would advise you buy braided hoses. Cheap and the most effect mod. But wait as this is a whole new world.
This pm, if you have alloy wheel cleaner use that on your brakes, give them a good dousing, jet wash, scrub with soapy water and jet wash down the vents holes, round the back, you get the drift.
Don't have access here to clean car but I'll go to my fiancé's dads tomorrow to do the clean/wash. Clean venting holes tonight just getting the crap out of them then properly scrub tomorrow. Does Iron fallout cleaner work btw?

I'll have the brake cleaner (STP) tomorrow but I'll also have some Gyeon Iron.

I've looked at braided lines. £54 a pair at CM. MRC prices I think. I found the online reviews and tests to be 50/50 but interestingly, when I watched a company channel test, the stopping distance was reduced considerably.

The other videos were just various garages in America etc or DIY jobs. Those were very mixed results which leads me to believe that it wasn't done properly or other things needed doing. So they do make a difference in your opinion?

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:57 pm

£54 sounds like a good price. If you've ever been to the Nurburgring, they sure make a big difference. Your foot goes to the floor after a short while. Also my DOT4 brake fluid boiled over once too. So changed it to DOT 5.1. Both happened to my friend in his Lambo Gallardo last year at Spa and had a nearby garage change the hoses and fluid.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Covkiller wrote:£54 sounds like a good price. If you've ever been to the Nurburgring, they sure make a big difference. Your foot goes to the floor after a short while. Also my DOT4 brake fluid boiled over once too. So changed it to DOT 5.1. Both happened to my friend in his Lambo Gallardo last year at Spa and had a nearby garage change the hoses and fluid.
Hmmmm. Learning something every day here. I don't do any track work. Day to day I'll have spirited blasts and maybe once a month we'll head out for the day and really go for it.

If the discs are ok then I think I should experiment with pads to reduce deposits and disc wear. But for the price, the braided lines and brake fluid is a no brainier. It's always a bit annoying having to fault find. Can get pricey haha.

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:44 pm

I have had DOT 5.1 and braided hoses on every car I have owned for a reason.

The lines can't expand and the fluid is nigh on impossible to boil, over engineering for my use but can count on one hand the amount of brown pant soft pedal moments on one hand.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 pm

G30001 wrote:I have had DOT 5.1 and braided hoses on every car I have owned for a reason.

The lines can't expand and the fluid is nigh on impossible to boil, over engineering for my use but can count on one hand the amount of brown pant soft pedal moments on one hand.

Well there's an advert for this haha.

So, a laborious task it was but, I've unclogged every venting hole in the discs. There was a LOT of build up. The faces are quite raised in places with lots of baked-deposits and rust. Hoping it's that and not warping. Will thoroughly clean all discs tomorrow.

On a side note and both boggling and concerning...no balancing weights on my front wheels. Yup. Very old backing tape (one on outside, one on inside of each wheel respectively) but no weights.

So, I'm pretty sure they were there when I last cleaned the car but maybe it's just my imagination. The car was in for alignment a month ago and I had the rears re-balanced. The new weights are all still there.

In the spirit of "there's no such thing as a stupid question...", does anybody else have no balancing weights on the front? I can honestly say the car improved after alignment and re-balanced rears a month ago. Turn in is better, zero shake at high speeds etc. The car still feels great on turn in and no wobble at high speeds.

I guess it begs the question, have I had them? Just not one of them things you purposefully look for on a regular basis. The issue is 100% the brakes as it only happens when I brake and I think it's unlikely that balancing weights fell off at the same time I started having the brake judder. Queer one...

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Well. Just went back down to double check and I've found a photo from October that clearly shows the balancing weights.

So, strictly for the purpose of knowing I haven't lost the plot, this is 100% the front wheel isn't it?

I know it is. It's just for a sanity check. Well. This is interesting. I'm not entirely sure how or when they 'fell' off but best get some on then. Granted, this is before I got the alignment and rears re-balanced but I don't see why they would remove the front counter weights. Image

Turning into a right little drama this isn't it? Haha.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:46 pm

I've just had a minor lesson in wheel balancing. Please disregard the above and await brake clean results tomorrow haha.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Right.

Brakes were cleaned hard today. The gyeon seemed better than the actual brake cleaner I got. I'd say 70% improvement. There's the tiniest bit of judder left. But even then it's not all the time. I'd like to get some proper heat in them though to be certain.

The brake cleaner in all honesty removed barely any hard deposits at all. Was quite disappointed. It removed a film that was quite visible to see and the crap that was left inside the re-drilled holes. The gyeon iron reacted a fair bit which removed another layer. I even agitated a lot. They do feel a lot smoother mind you.

Got pressure washer deep inside the callipers and a tonne of black gunk came out. In short, I've done as much as my ability and equipment allow. Still a bit spongey but not as much. Like I said, going really hard and getting some intense heat into them will let me know if it's worked fully.

I think braided lines and upgraded fluid next. Probably change the rear discs/pads/lines in a month or so. Does changing the brake fluid invalidate the Approved Audi Warranty?

Cheers for all your suggestions lads.

R

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

G30001 wrote:I have had DOT 5.1 and braided hoses on every car I have owned for a reason.

What did you pay for braided lines and fluid change please?

Cheers.

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:16 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Cheers.

Depended on the car and the year, I am going back to my first car in 1997 (205 GTI) through Golf's, Mini CS, Seat Leon's, Ibiza's more Golf's in 21 years so it has varied wildly.

Usually hoses have been below £100 as i have usually only done the front (and got them on deals), Fluid is around the £10-£15 per litre mark but if you are due a fluid change just coincide it with that.

I imagine hoses for the RS4 have Audi RS tax, i haven't looked yet to be honest as tyres and Exhaust are first on my list.
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

G30001 wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Cheers.

Depended on the car and the year, I am going back to my first car in 1997 (205 GTI) through Golf's, Mini CS, Seat Leon's, Ibiza's more Golf's in 21 years so it has varied wildly.

Usually hoses have been below £100 as i have usually only done the front (and got them on deals), Fluid is around the £10-£15 per litre mark but if you are due a fluid change just coincide it with that.

I imagine hoses for the RS4 have Audi RS tax, i haven't looked yet to be honest as tyres and Exhaust are first on my list.
Been quoted £335 for the hoses, brake fluid flush and change. Yeah I'd just do fronts as well.

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Been quoted £335 for the hoses, brake fluid flush and change. Yeah I'd just do fronts as well.

I would say that is fair given the car, where is that from?

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

G30001 wrote:
Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

I would say that is fair given the car, where is that from?
That was for braided lines on all four corners too. Not just the pair. Ummm, CM Tuning bro...

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”