Brake Judder

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: Brake Judder

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:I believe your line of thinking about maintaining structure is most likely, perhaps due to the scalloped nature of the disc design?

Yes, got a picture below of the front discs, rears are similar too - click it to enlarge
Front Discs.jpg
FYI - Audi OEM rears pads are usually £96 and the part number is 4G0698451J, they come with new pad sensor, bolts and pad sliders

Audi parts direct are currently doing them for £65 - http://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 4G0698451J
Cheers for the photo.

They almost look random actually. They look great new dont they? Haha.

The part you sent appears to be A6/A7/RS fitment. Isn't it RS6/7?

Is there a difference in compound on these than that of the Brembo pads I found on auto doc? Auto doc and eurocar parts dont give any material description.

Bombarding you today, apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Shiney new parts always look cool, trouble is keeping them looking that way.

I don't mind the questions, it's good to see people participating. The P/N is correct, I had audi parts direct (Cardiff Audi) and my local dealer confirm it. The Brembo compound on the ones you've found, will probably be different (good or bad I don't know) as the OEM rears are made by TRW.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Shiney new parts always look cool, trouble is keeping them looking that way.

I don't mind the questions, it's good to see people participating. The P/N is correct, I had audi parts direct (Cardiff Audi) and my local dealer confirm it. The Brembo compound on the ones you've found, will probably be different (good or bad I don't know) as the OEM rears are made by TRW.
Ah yes of course. I wonder if I can compare the two somewhere. Maybe a YouTube vid. Tbf, it really seems to be varied results and opinions with the use of different pads. Which suggests there's a lot more variables at play than simply changing the discs and pads.

I'm quite happy with the brake modulation (until this judder obviously) on the RS4. Granted, after spirited driving, they do become quite spongey. I'll have to concede that. But that's like, a few hours or a road rally day with mates.

I'm not gonna go crazy with different discs. Maybe braided lines and pads. Play about over next couple of years.

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:37 pm

These are the rear discs, these will be fitted with new backplates when I put the summers back on.
I actually polished the machining marks out, repainted the centres and the edge then applied Gyeon Rim. I did the fronts too and they still look pretty good after 4k miles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ImageImage

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm

noidea wrote:These are the rear discs, these will be fitted with new backplates when I put the summers back on.
I actually polished the machining marks out, repainted the centres and the edge then applied Gyeon Rim. I did the fronts too and they still look pretty good after 4k miles.

ImageImage
That would be ideal man. To coat them like that.

Think I'll try replace them myself next time round. Or might get them coated shortly after fitting. Hopefully this sorts it out temporarily anyway. Then I'll order some new ones.

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm

Had a good look over my discs and they are all clogged, is there a thread I can follow to sort this or is it discs off and into a engineer to sort out?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 pm

G30001 wrote:Had a good look over my discs and they are all clogged, is there a thread I can follow to sort this or is it discs off and into a engineer to sort out?

Follow this one haha. I'll try get photos of process and kit used to clean them. CM tuning said there's a counter sink tool used to re-drill.

I honestly think we could just have a bit of patience and give them a good dig out. But callipers off is just more thorough.

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:04 am

Sam are those back plates in black different to OEM? Mine and mottled silver - etched from rod salt. Brakes need replacing at next service in Feb. and I would like to replace the back plates and put braided lines on. Any view on the best ones for the job?
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:18 pm

Sammyb349 wrote:Sam are those back plates in black different to OEM? Mine and mottled silver - etched from rod salt. Brakes need replacing at next service in Feb. and I would like to replace the back plates and put braided lines on. Any view on the best ones for the job?
The front backplates are steel painted black and the rears are untreated aluminium. I have a new pair of rears for when I replace the discs. I have applied Gyeon Rim to them to help keep them looking better for longer.
You could take off the existing ones and wire wool or scotchbrite them to get rid of the tarnishing but at £26 each I opted to replace them

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:43 pm

noidea wrote:
Sammyb349 wrote:Sam are those back plates in black different to OEM? Mine and mottled silver - etched from rod salt. Brakes need replacing at next service in Feb. and I would like to replace the back plates and put braided lines on. Any view on the best ones for the job?
The front backplates are steel painted black and the rears are untreated aluminium. I have a new pair of rears for when I replace the discs. I have applied Gyeon Rim to them to help keep them looking better for longer.
You could take off the existing ones and wire wool or scotchbrite them to get rid of the tarnishing but at £26 each I opted to replace them

Where did you get the backing plates? Just from Audi?

How much did you pay for the rear discs?

Sammyb349
3rd Gear

Post by Sammyb349 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Perfect. Thanks.
Current:
- Audi B8 RS4 - Panther Black
- VW High Up! TSI - Red with Black Roof
Previous:
- BMW R56 Mini JCW - Black with Red Roof
- Peugeot 306 1.6 GLX - British Racing Green
- Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus - Sky Blue

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
noidea wrote:

Where did you get the backing plates? Just from Audi?

How much did you pay for the rear discs?

Yes backing plates from Audi, £21.44 plus Vat
Discs list at £270, got a little discount at £240 each. Again plus Vat.
Maybe they were better priced at Crewe Audi?

G30001
3rd Gear

Post by G30001 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
G30001 wrote:Had a good look over my discs and they are all clogged, is there a thread I can follow to sort this or is it discs off and into a engineer to sort out?

Follow this one haha. I'll try get photos of process and kit used to clean them. CM tuning said there's a counter sink tool used to re-drill.

I honestly think we could just have a bit of patience and give them a good dig out. But callipers off is just more thorough.

Will keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks
2013 B8 RS4 - Reflex Silver Black Pack probably the 2nd lowest mileage in County
2014 B8 RS4 - Daytona Grey bag of nails with Silver Styling gone

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm

Right.

Had the rears tidied up and re-drilled. Marginally better but still not providing much confidence. Feel very spongey and have to press quite hard to stop. Vibration has back off a little bit.

I think there was a bit of confusion as the fronts weren't touched. I'm hopefully back in there this week for something else so I'll ask for the same on fronts specifically. The pads arnt gone yet. I've bought some brake cleaner and I'll have a go at trying to remove that rust/build up on the faces of the front discs.

It's so strange. Brakes were one of the best feeling parts of the car before those 2 long journeys at New Years

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:21 am

Keep going, cleaning will sort it out. As for the spongy feel, see how it is after the fronts are cleaned. You may need to bleed.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”