RS4 MY15 - Problem after purchasing a week ago.

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: RS4 MY15 - Problem after purchasing a week ago.

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 pm

HB_NORM wrote:Update - Car still in garage. Waiting for four (4) wheel alignment to be done as part of rectifying steering wheel not being straight. Been in 10 days and had only owned it for 5!
You'll be re-united soon buddy ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 am

Update -

Car finally back. Wheels are finally all sorted along with exhaust clamp. Dealership also replaced centre MMI housing to stop squeak but still have noise from rear left C pillar. However, I've noticed now that instead of my steering wheel being off centre to the right, Its now reversed over onto the left. I feel like I'm making it up but I couldn't believe it on the motorway today. Any ideas what to do next? I'm going to check tyre pressures tomorrow and 4 wheel alignment as done at the dealership last week.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:26 am

I originally went for a test drive in my B8 at 2 weeks old, but as it was a demonstrator I had to wait until it was 3 months old before collecting it. I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off to the right on the initial test drive and I asked Doncaster Audi to rectify it for when I collected it. They supposedly had two goes at it, but claimed there wasn't a problem, but it was still noticably out. I ended up taking it to my local dealership, Preston Audi. They did a full four wheel alignment, and got the car perfectly straight, but also then had to do some correction to the electric steering motor (I don't know much about the mechanics of it), but apparantly if the steering, when set up correctly is less than 2 degrees out from the straight ahead position, no adjustment can be made electrically to the motor. They effectively adjusted the steering so that it was 2 degrees and a few minutes out, and this then allowed the motor to be adjusted electrically so that steering wheel was as near as damn it in the straight ahead position. It was a lot more than just adjusting each track rod to get the wheel straight.....!
The steering wheel has been perfect ever since, and it drives straight without pulling, with no abnormal tyre wear.
I may not have described the remedy absolutely accurately, as it was nearly 4 years ago and I have slept since then, but maybe someone more knowledgable may be able to enlighten us further on this subject??
The Master Tech who did the work still works there, so I could seek some clarification on the problem and what exactly is needed to remedy the issue. It isn't just a matter of a 4 wheel alignment with the steering wheel clamped in the straight ahead position.
There has been previous topics several years ago on the steering wheel being off centre, so a bit of searching may give more accurate information than mine as to the remedy.

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 am

johnnydog wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:26 am
I originally went for a test drive in my B8 at 2 weeks old, but as it was a demonstrator I had to wait until it was 3 months old before collecting it. I noticed the steering wheel was slightly off to the right on the initial test drive and I asked Doncaster Audi to rectify it for when I collected it. They supposedly had two goes at it, but claimed there wasn't a problem, but it was still noticably out. I ended up taking it to my local dealership, Preston Audi. They did a full four wheel alignment, and got the car perfectly straight, but also then had to do some correction to the electric steering motor (I don't know much about the mechanics of it), but apparantly if the steering, when set up correctly is less than 2 degrees out from the straight ahead position, no adjustment can be made electrically to the motor. They effectively adjusted the steering so that it was 2 degrees and a few minutes out, and this then allowed the motor to be adjusted electrically so that steering wheel was as near as damn it in the straight ahead position. It was a lot more than just adjusting each track rod to get the wheel straight.....!
The steering wheel has been perfect ever since, and it drives straight without pulling, with no abnormal tyre wear.
I may not have described the remedy absolutely accurately, as it was nearly 4 years ago and I have slept since then, but maybe someone more knowledgeable may be able to enlighten us further on this subject??
The Master Tech who did the work still works there, so I could seek some clarification on the problem and what exactly is needed to remedy the issue. It isn't just a matter of a 4 wheel alignment with the steering wheel clamped in the straight ahead position.
There has been previous topics several years ago on the steering wheel being off centre, so a bit of searching may give more accurate information than mine as to the remedy.
Mate, thanks very much, really helpful to read. A wheel alignment has only been done so I think next step is the steering adjustment, however, I'm concerned I've gone from the right to the left. I did check tyre pressures today and set at 38 and 35 as per guidelines.

innercry666
3rd Gear

Post by innercry666 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 am

At the end of the alignment session the steering angle sensor is supposed to be reset to the new centre position on the steering rack. Also the engine needs to be running when doing the alignment as it engages the steering column. If the steering angle is out it will be noticeable when the car starts as the steering wheel moves. The closer it is to centre position the less it moves when starting the car.

I had an alignment issue on my A4 3.0 TDI Quattro many years ago and nobody within Audi could align the car properly. I had one dealership align the car and then take off the steering wheel and move it a couple of splines left or right to get the steering wheel straight when the car was driving straight. Suffice to say I canned the car and moved to an RS4 which had a similar issue but was resolved with a steering angle sensor reset...
RS6 PE - Current
RS4 (B8.5) 2015 - Sold
A4 3.0 TDI Quattro BE Avant - Gone
Focus ST170 - Garaged

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Lads, just a quick question, knock from offside front going over bumps, is that DRC related? I've noticed cars stance is dropped to right, but I know that is common issue on RS4. My car has not had DRC done and still within 30 days exchange due to number of earlier faults it was extended. I really don't want to lose it so appreciate any advice.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:45 pm

That definitely sounds like the DRC.
Usually, the hollow knock is apparant when the suspension hits a minor road imperfection, such as a SHALLOW pothole, manhole cover or sunken repair in the road surface, more so on the front offiside and more noticeable when cold.
If there aren't any fluid leaks that are found to be the cause, then there are uprated front shocks that have an A prefix. These were only fitted as replacements if the DRC was knocking, and there were no fluid leaks that were found to be the cause of low pressure and causing the knock. If there are fluid leaks (visable on the shock body) then any replacement shocks will only be the standard shock as fitted from new. If the knock is found to be just that (with no fluid leaks), then the replacement shock should be the uprated one with the A prefix in the part number.
There is plenty of info on this if you search this forum and there is an Audi TPI detailing the fault and remedy.

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:54 pm

"At the end of the alignment session the steering angle sensor is supposed to be reset to the new centre position on the steering rack".

The steering angle sensor will only reset if the steering wheel is more than 2 degrees out. Audi state that 2 degrees tolerance is acceptable. I disagreed with them on this as 2 degrees at the centre of the steering column equates visually to a lot more at the wheel. The technician also agreed, therefore that's why they went down the route of 'kidding' the steering angle sensor that the steering wheel was fractionally more than 2 degrees out of line, so that the correction was then done. I may not be explaning this as well as I could be, but that's the jist of it!

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Cheers Johnny, car went into Audi and confirmed front O/S shock needs replacing and DRC was at 5 psi! Worrying as the car was only in the week prior to that and was told it was fine.. Thankfully being done under warranty at £1045 each! I've asked that there remainder get checked to ensure they aren't going to go as well. Nightmare but thankful for warranty.

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 pm

Just thought I would give a latest update. My RS4 finally came back a week ago, however, it looks short lived. I have noticed again the car has dropped to one side, I also hear a clunk sound when I go over bumps. I can't work out whether this is the DRC again, especially in light of recently having the N/S/F shock replaced and the system re-pressurised. Has anyone heard of it failing again?

robster
1st Gear

Post by robster » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:40 am

Sounds like they failed to fix it properly. Its a difficult decision but you might want to think about exchanging....have they got any similar cars in they're group?

On the other side if they do fix it you'll have many years of free motoring

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:13 am

robster wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:40 am
Sounds like they failed to fix it properly. Its a difficult decision but you might want to think about exchanging....have they got any similar cars in they're group?

It would be concerning if it was a failed attempt, especially as the car was damaged by them recently and I only just got it back. Its finally been picked up and taken back and hopefully it gets addressed this time.

I keep saying that 'this will be the last fix' however, I can't bring myself to let it go, the spec is so unique and rare that since December nothing else has come up like it.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:26 pm

HB_NORM wrote:
robster wrote:

It would be concerning if it was a failed attempt, especially as the car was damaged by them recently and I only just got it back. Its finally been picked up and taken back and hopefully it gets addressed this time.

I keep saying that 'this will be the last fix' however, I can't bring myself to let it go, the spec is so unique and rare that since December nothing else has come up like it.
I feel your pain mate. I've had mine 6 months and countless issues. Now, fingers crossed all done. I had the knocking too and this was 'after' replaced DRC lines, new sports diff and bushes.

Turned out to be...the front passenger side calliper was not bolted in properlyImage Car has felt solid since and no knocking. I thought it was the new pads that were loose tbh. Maybe check these things (not insulting intelligence) as I panicked too. But then again, with your recent repairs, it's likely to be related to DRC. The DRC issue feels like chasing rabbits in a field IMO. It's too common an issue. And they still haven't sorted it. B9 still has issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Thundercliffe81 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:26 pm
HB_NORM wrote:
robster wrote:

I feel your pain mate. I've had mine 6 months and countless issues. Now, fingers crossed all done. I had the knocking too and this was 'after' replaced DRC lines, new sports diff and bushes.

Turned out to be...the front passenger side calliper was not bolted in properlyImage Car has felt solid since and no knocking. I thought it was the new pads that were loose tbh. Maybe check these things (not insulting intelligence) as I panicked too. But then again, with your recent repairs, it's likely to be related to DRC. The DRC issue feels like chasing rabbits in a field IMO. It's too common an issue. And they still haven't sorted it. B9 still has issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I know you've not had much luck either. I hope its not a Sepang thing, especially as in my opinion its the best colour! The car has dropped on the right again which is exactly what it did last time and was supposedly fixed. I don't doubt the work, but its concerning how it could have gone again in under 300 miles. Sadly, the story gets worse and Audi Assist (AA) picked it up this morning and took it to the dealership who refused to accept the car. I have remained respectful towards the centre since making my initial complaint, but such a response is unprovoked and in my opinion unnecessary, Car now waits at another dealer till Audi UK return to work on Monday.

robster
1st Gear

Post by robster » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:50 pm

How did you pay for the car?

If it's on finance the finance company need to make sure the car is not faulty, you could use them as leverage.

Under the consumer rights act you have up to six months to reject the car

The warranties are administered by Audi so hopefully you'll have more luck with the second dealer

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”