RS4 MY15 - Problem after purchasing a week ago.

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
HB_NORM
Neutral

RS4 MY15 - Problem after purchasing a week ago.

Post by HB_NORM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Good evening,

Wonder if the wisdom of the forum could help. I've already been posting about my experiences over on the Audi Sport forum, so I apologise to those that may have already read about my issues. However, I picked up a 26,000 mile RS4 in Sepang Blue to replace our MY18 Audi S3 that decided to breakdown on a dual carriageway and even Audi Germany didn't know why. Needless to say it never restarted and is now back with them. You can imagine, already the last thing I wanted was anymore problems! :|

Firstly I noticed the little issues with the squeaking and rattling from the MMI housing and rear parcel shelf area and also my steering wheel not straightening back up. Dealer who have been great said they would look at it in the new year when I took it in yesterday morning. However, while up at the dealer we decided to go to Westfield for a spot of shopping and also the joys of the underground car park and the lovely V8. On the way there car was doing 28.9mpg which was truly impressive and after leaving the car to sit for a few hours, I started it back up to hear the car very quiet and a blowing/chuggering sound from under my drivers door. I attempted an obnoxious rev and the car was quiet. I knew something wasn't right so I didn't bother revving further and just drove out the car park and towards home. I left my drivers window open and could still hear the car was chuggering and the engine tone just didn't sound right. Typical London traffic was a nightmare and when I got onto the A4 in Comfort mode I dropped the gears to 3 in manual and pressed the accelerator, nothing, I mean, no instant power, it hardly wanted to move. It was as if the turbo (illustration) wasn't working. I called the dealer who were great and were open till 1900 hours and dropped the car in. Where, even in there covered service entrance it sounded blowy and reserved. I demonstrated the car to the few staff present who all said something isn't right and now the car currently is in their care.

The concern for me is the car is a week old tomorrow, I've used it well covering just over 300 miles and its been great. Been filled twice now and has been returning 290 miles to a tank. The biggest concern for me is I had an absolute nightmare with our S3 which eventually was bought back from us, however, it took many months and was not a nice experience. I'm aware of my 30 day exchange/return policy, but I really don't want to use this, the car has a high specification and I was looking for months, I know the cars fully history and every little details about it thanks to Audi Technical. I would really appreciate any advice or any past experience in relation to the symptoms.

Cheers,

HB. :thumbs:

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Re: RS4 MY15 - Problem after purchasing a week ago.

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:56 pm

@surreysam hope you have some knowledge on this? We've been chatting over on ASN about it but I can't think of anything other than serious carbon build up. Misfires etc. But it's only got 26k miles on the clock. So can't be that.

Could just be an exhaust issue maybe? New exhaust could remedy it. Just with the spluttering and sounding like there's no back pressure/having issues breathing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:51 pm

I know it isnt really the answer you are wanting to hear, but in your position (as disheartening as it is) I would wait until you get Audi's diagnosis of the problem. Its no use speculating at this stage what the problem may or may not be, as one issue can appear as a totally different unrelated fault. My experience of Audi and problem sorting (especially with used cars under their warranty) is generally very good, as they will want to keep you happy as a customer.
Also the issue may sound drastic to you, but the fault may be easily diagnosed, but can cause the car to run like a pig.
I would wait until it has been diagnosed before anything. I am certain the issue will be rectified and you will soon back enjoying the car (fingers x'd!)!

noddy
2nd Gear

Post by noddy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:10 am

What fuel are you using? If it has been running on 98 and you have put in 95 it takes a couple of tanks to adjust and vice versa. It might be an ignition issue. Was the engine bay valeted?

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 am

Very difficult to say but faulty coilpacks could be a cause.
As already said wait until Audi have looked at it, all hopefully will become clear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:19 am

Running Momentum 99, ran it in S3 and was faultless in MPG and performance for the 3000 miles I had it. Its currently on its second tank and has been great. Performance has been always been there.

The thread is merely for knowledge and not trying speculate and I know the centre will put it right or find a solution. I was hoping to to learn for my own knowledge about whether this issue is known but also any other issues.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:08 pm

HB_NORM wrote:Running Momentum 99, ran it in S3 and was faultless in MPG and performance for the 3000 miles I had it. Its currently on its second tank and has been great. Performance has been always been there.

The thread is merely for knowledge and not trying speculate and I know the centre will put it right or find a solution. I was hoping to to learn for my own knowledge about whether this issue is known but also any other issues.
Yeah the guys are right in what I'm what they say. I was just curious myself too. As it's an issue I've not read of on here.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:42 pm

First up, welcome aboard :thumbs:

Like mentioned by others, it can be hard to diagnose something like this over the internet. Suggestions could be all over the place and sow the seeds of fear, I take it that no dash warnings come up? Plugging the car in could reveal some fault codes, so hopefully the dealership will gain some more intel by doing this.

If I was to throw a guess out there, it could be a broken up Cat causing a sort of blockage, not a common fault but can happen. Hopefully it will be easily diagnosed and sorted for you under warranty, then you can get back to enjoying your excellent choice in car.
:beerchug:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Cheers Sam,

No warning lights, no prior knocks, wasn't hit by anything in fact we drove it 50 miles and it parked up for 4 hours so it had a good run. It sounds something to do with the exhaust as I could hear it when starting and under the drivers door, likewise when the dealership started it up too. As you said, I wanted to test the water and see if anyone has experienced anything similar, which appears not, and in that case I will definitely be posting up the diagnosis from the dealer. Can't imagine that will be for a few days.

Thanks for everyones help, thus far.

535dboy
Top Gear

Post by 535dboy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Hopefully nothing major.
Currently :
2019 Porsche 992S (£21k of extra toys)
2019 Porsche Macan S (£18k of extra toys)
2015 Lotus Exige V6 ( c430bhp)
2019 Seat Ibiza excellence Lux! (115bhp, 3 cyl, dsg)
1987 Porsche 928S4
1967 Jaaag Mk2 3.4

Ex
2017 AMG E class wagon
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:56 am

Update-

Been told an exhaust clamp came loose was the cause of no power. Dealership are saying they can't find a fault on computer just the clamp. Pretty happy it wasn't anything major. Thanks for everyone's help. Oh, and a plus they are replacing the housing around MMI which wont stop squeaking.

Thundercliffe81
3rd Gear

Post by Thundercliffe81 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 am

HB_NORM wrote:Update-

Been told an exhaust clamp came loose was the cause of no power. Dealership are saying they can't find a fault on computer just the clamp. Pretty happy it wasn't anything major. Thanks for everyone's help. Oh, and a plus they are replacing the housing around MMI which wont stop squeaking.
Woohoo!!

Phew. I had a hunch it was exhaust related but didn't think it would be something so simple that caused such a big (potentially) issue.

You must be relieved man. Enjoy!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Good news, fingers crossed that sorts it for you :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

noidea
3rd Gear

Post by noidea » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:48 pm

Doesn't sound too serious, got to be lucky sometimes!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HB_NORM
Neutral

Post by HB_NORM » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Update - Car still in garage. Waiting for four (4) wheel alignment to be done as part of rectifying steering wheel not being straight. Been in 10 days and had only owned it for 5!

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”