Headlight noise? Normal?!

4.2 V8 32v FSI - 444 bhp
wideboy
Neutral

Headlight noise? Normal?!

Post by wideboy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Evening Folks,

Short version:

Can you hear your lights move when you put on the mainbeams? I know it's the flap moving, but I didn't notice the noise previously...

Long Version:

Had a light out on the RS4 the other day, changed bulb, no go, pulled out headlight and changed ballast and all good. As I'd already forked out for fancy new bulbs (Osram xenarc nightbreaker) I changed the other one too..

So all good on the illumination front, BUT I now notice a noise as the mechanical flap moves when I put on the main beams... This may have been present before, as I don't often sit in the car with the engine/stereo off whilst flashing my lights at a wall!

Both lights do it with the same sound/volume so I think i'm good, but i'm now paranoid the bulbs may not be seated properly.

I'm not too keen to take the headlights out the car again just for fun, so was hoping a few of you may give your lights a flash for me and report back!

Cheers!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Re: Headlight noise? Normal?!

Post by Surrey Sam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am

Just tried this to double check and yes, that's a normal sound. It's just the mechanism moving to adjust for full beam and dipped.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 pm

Perfect! Thanks for your time :thumb:

Madelvic
3rd Gear

Post by Madelvic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Wideboy have you noticed much of a difference with the new bulbs?

Sam did you not change projectors? Any views on bulbs alone?
Macan GTS
Boxster S
Previously
Audi RS4 B8
Audi S4 B8
Audi S4 B6
Nissan GTR,
Lotus Elise 111R,
Caterham,
Golf GTi Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3, Mk 4, VR6,
Various SAAB Turbos
Peugeot 205 GTi,
RS2000

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Not me, DeanoC swapped out projectors I believe.

A whiter light might interest me but to be fair, the standard setup is good enough.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

wideboy
Neutral

Post by wideboy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:09 am

Grittle wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 pm
much of a difference with the new bulbs?

The new bulbs are more white, and do appear to be brighter already (although perhaps this is down to the colour difference) but they're still very much in the wearing in phase. I believe they'll take a few hours of running time to reach their potential.

Return to “RS4 (B8 Typ 8K) 2012-2016”